WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Gents,

Sharing my first impressions and photos on a not so common and quite divise watch, the Oris Big Crown ProPilot X. I totally get why, I think it's a watch you either love or hate.

IMG_3339.jpg

While generally not a fan at all of skeleton watches this is the first one which really got me. Mainly because its design just works as a whole, it's not just a standard watch with holes in its dial to be able to see the movement. That for me doesn't work and you jut get something ugly as a result. Here the construction of the watch is entirely and based on the movement itself, with proper logic and design choices applied to it. I find the end result amazing to look at

I just got it today so this is not a full review but more like a "first contact feedback" after spending a few hours with it.

Impressions

- There is definitely a wow! effect when you take it in your hands and look at it

- It feels extremely light and easy to wear and yet it has an unmissable presence on the wrist

- The readability is top notch, zero problem telling the time in any ways you might look at it

- The movement while not highly finished/decorated is lovely to look at

- The 12.5mm thickness while not setting any records is great for a modern watch nowadays and it definitely contributes to make the watch nice to wear on the wrist.

- The bracelet looks and feels quite agressive, in a nice way

- The lume (Superluminova BG W9) doesn't disappoint, subtle in how it matches the skeleton dial but bright and effective enough to provide good readability in dark conditions

- The titanium is much more greyer/darker then I thought, a little bit surprised from that perspective as I expected it to look a bit more clearer/shinier

- It's a fingerprints magnet because of the treatment choice for the titanium material

- Not a fan of the "Lift" text on the bracelet clasp (who the hell at Oris thought it was a cool idea?)

- 10 days power reserve for a manual watch is really appreciable. From what I could gather on forums in practice it actually even goes up to 12 but past the 10 days mark the movement accuracy is no longer guaranteed to follow the official Oris specs

- A bit disappointed to find out that the watch has an invisible date. What I mean is that the crown has a second/ghost position to set the date which obviously doesn't do anything as this model does not have one. I suspect that it is purely a cost saving based decision as Oris intend to use this movement in the future for other models which will have a full dial and so a display date. Considering that this is their flagship watch and so the price they ask for it I do find it to be a cheap move (and of course it is not something mentioned in their PR material / specifications or instructions manual).

Pictures

IMG_3340.jpg IMG_3342.jpg IMG_3344.jpg IMG_3349.jpg IMG_3351.jpg IMG_3353.jpg

IMG_3390.jpg IMG_3386.jpg IMG_3354.jpg IMG_3398.jpg IMG_3399.jpg IMG_3391.jpg

IMG_3409.jpg IMG_3411.jpg IMG_3414.jpg IMG_3417.jpg

Overall it is a very unique piece as a whole, for various reasons and not just the fact that it is a skeleton watch. It just works as a whole experience.

It is an expensive watch for a brand like Oris but so far I have no regrets spending the money as I really like the fact that they try to go for something different, and in my eyes succeeded in doing so.

·
Registered
5,037 Posts
I agree with a lot of your sentiments.
I have been in love with this watch since it came out and I have gone out of my way to read reviews and try to find one to try on. One thing I didn't know was about the ghost position. I don't really care I guess, but for a watch at this price it is odd. Also...I hate the Lift text. It is gimmicky and incongruous, and a popcorn move for something so original and stand alone.

As for the finishing, I think it is brilliant. I love the undecorated design and industrial look. I find it incredibly bold and also a bit more representative of Oris in some ways. Oris makes tool and sports watches; they're not Lange. I appreciate this bold, industrialized skeleton more than if they tried to dress themselves up as JLC or something.

One question I do have, that has probably been answered before, is what grade titanium do they use?

Anyway, major congrats! Enjoy!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks.

The "Lift" caption indeed looks silly, everytime I see it I can't help to get :mad:

The ghost position is definitely a disappointment for a watch of this price and a cheap move in my opinion from Oris for what is supposed to be their flagship model.

Regarding your question it is a mix of grade 2 and grade 5 titanium depending on the elements of the watch.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Nice review.
Hate the LIFT text - who thought that was a good idea. Put ORIS there - I'm good with that or leave it blank.

·
Premium Member
4,604 Posts
Thanks for the very informative initial impression of your ProPilot X. You do have a point about the "Lift" on the bracelet's clasp — it does seem a bit silly. Enjoy your new Oris.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I for one do not mind the 'Lift' text on the clasp, and going with that I think your review is very fair and informative so I appreciate it. Have you found that the titanium is a scratch magnet or purely fingerprints? I know different companies treat their Ti differently so I am curious to hear how Oris' holds up

·
Registered
394 Posts
Great review !

I love this watch - despite never having seen it in person. The price tag is, well, yeah, that's probably the most contentious thing that's endlessly debated about this watch.

For those that might not know - the PPX is a model that's (obviously) inspired by aeronautics, and it's design incorporates that. For example, the bezel is supposed to resemble the fan blades of a modern turbine jet engine. The "LIFT" text is supposed to resemble the "LIFT" flap on an airplane seatbelt buckle. I realize that someone who isn't "into" aeronautics and flight might think that's dumb or not understand why it's there, but that's the reason for it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Fully aware of the aeronautic inspiration, that's actually one of reasons why I like the watch and its design.

I am also someone you could call a flying enthusiast (love jet fighters, warbirds, helicopters) but I still hate the "LIFT" text on the clasp, it just looks silly to me. It all comes down to personal taste at the end of the day ;-)

·
Registered
394 Posts
It all come down to personal taste at the end of the day ;-)
Yep, totally agree on this - just wanted to make sure the connection was made as to why it was there. I originally thought it was stupid too, but then when I found out the reasoning behind it, it made sense and it stopped bothering me and I thought it was a neat little trick they did there. Point being, if I hadn't found out about it, I'd still think it was stupid.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I like this watch and the lume pattern. Oris gets it; more lume on the hands and less on the chapters = easier to read at night.

heb

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
100% agreed.
As I said in my review the lume quality plus how it has been has been well thought gives the watch excellent readability. And the resulting design even makes the daylight readability excellent in daylight conditions as a result :)

·
Registered
7,919 Posts
Great watch. Great review. Great pics. Thanks

Very strange though that they have no removed the date setting position when watches costing one tenth of this are doing it.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Is it just me or the pics doesnt show? Really would like to see them with the review... but thank you for sharing! Great read!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Yeah sorry, the host I normally use has a domain name related problem. Will have them upload somewhere else later and update the links accordingly ;)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah sorry, the host I normally use has a domain name related problem. Will have them upload somewhere else later and update the links accordingly ;)
You can upload the images directly to WUS / the forum, and they'll hold them forever. A lot easier than using third party sites.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for the tip, it worked wonders! :)

I have added a couple of extra pics, included additional wrist shots in different lighting conditions. As you can see on the recent pictures the power reserve is now just under 2 days (got the watch on 23/06 and did a full rewind then), no complaints to report accuracy wise. I'm planning to leave it running until it actually stops to see how long exactly will it run.

Feedback wise one thing I will add is that the the titanium they've chosen does get dirty very very easily. I mentioned fingerprints before and basically what I noticed is that they leave a brownish mark on the titanium after a short period of time. Easy enough to wipe with a bit of water and a soft cloth but I'm sure some people would easily get crazy over having to clean/wipe their watch all the time to keep it in perfect condition :p

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And it finally...stopped. Ran for 12 days and a half, not bad :cool:

I did notice that past the 10 days mark the small seconds seemed to lag a bit behind but honestly nothing you couldn't live with for 2 extra days of power.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts