WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Personally not a fan of skeleton watches, but I would throw my money at it in a heartbeat... But for no more than 3500. I think the design is better than Zenith.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Personally not a fan of skeleton watches, but I would throw my money at it in a heartbeat... But for no more than 3500. I think the design is better than Zenith.
There's been lots of discussion about this particular reference and the MSRP. There is definitely a consensus that the watch is a great timepiece, but folks have trouble with the price because it puts it into a different league of watches.

In the <$5K category, it's hard to beat Oris. The value you get, the quality of manufacture, it's a very good proposition.

In the <$10K category, we start getting into other brands. Grand Seiko. Rolex. Omega. There are a LOT of contenders out there. More specifically (and this starts to be a consideration at this level), there are "better" contenders out there when it comes to resale value and protection from depreciation. Now, resale might not matter to many of us WISs (it's not MY primary concern when I'm thinking of what watch to purchase next, as an example), but it does matter to a large portion of the luxury watch buying market.

Therein lies the Problem with the Oris PPX. While it's a fantastic and amazing timepiece, the cost just puts it into a category of watches where there's a lot of other, strong competition.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The ProPilot X is definitely not a watch you buy considering its value ratio and/or as an investment for future resale.

For me it is one of those watches that you purely buy because you like its design, the concept behind it and the quite different vibe you get from it compared to other models available in that same price range.

It's basically a non-rational purchase, where there mustn't be a need for you have an explanation as for why you went for it :cool:

·
Registered
405 Posts
The ProPilot X is definitely not a watch you buy considering its value ratio and/or as an investment for future resale.

For me it is one of those watches that you purely buy because you like its design, the concept behind it and the quite different vibe you get from it compared to other models available in that same price range.

It's basically a non-rational purchase, where there mustn't be a need for you have an explanation as for why you went for it :cool:
Fully agreed. That being said, I believe this is why we don't see more of them out there. If this exact same watch was a Rolex or Omega, with the same price tag, I believe we'd see a lot more of them out there in the wild.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Small update, I had it fully rewound on 6th July after it had stopped and been measuring its accuracy on a daily basis. Results are pretty good so far, I'm between -1.7s and -1.9s every day :)

·
Registered
405 Posts
I just got to see one of these in-person today. First time. I have to say - it's a LOT lighter than I was expecting. I anticipated it being lighter because it's titanium vs steel, but still, it's a LOT lighter. And, from a few seconds worth of trying it, very comfortable. What an absolutely amazing watch !

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yup. Probably the only skeleton watch I would actually throw money down for!

Let’s get that mortgage of mine down to 0 first!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
A brief update regarding its accuracy, I have been taking measurements over the past 11 days (via Toolwatch, iPhone app so worth what it's worth) and here are the results:

Clearly once you pass the official 10 days power reserve the accuracy suffers o_O

21 - 33 of 33 Posts