WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tracked most of my vintage Gs from sellers in Japan, but this one I located just 80 miles north of Los Angeles in Ojai: DWG-100J-1 "Lungman" (1999 release)

The seller had stuffed it into a dog training bag after the battery had died and forgotten about it for five years. When I received it, it was scuffed up a bit and caked in years of grime, but had a clean crystal, good resin and was functioning properly. A little bath and scrub brought out its colors.

1.jpg

The Lungman is a vintage Master of G released in October of 1999, making it 19-years-old this month. It was designed for runners, with its key selling point being an infrared pulse sensor below the dial that can detect blood flow in your fingertip and provide a pulse reading. It also has a 30-lap memory stopwatch, a diagonally arranged LCD screen for easier visibility while running, and a punctured resin strap for breathability.

2.jpg

3.jpg

There is a little oxidation near the top of the caseback, but otherwise it's quite clean for its age and years of neglect. On the caseback is engraved an ostrich in running shoes, which is one of the funnier G-Shock mascots. :-d

4.jpg

The Lungman was not a popular G-Shock upon its release, with most people thinking it just looked too odd, even for a G. But it has over the years developed a cult following for obvious reasons.

5.jpg

Well, there's my mini unboxing (though there is no box). Thanks for reading. :-!

·
G-Shock Mod
13,945 Posts
That's a nice found. Back in the days, my friend had one and I thought that was one of the coolest feature on G-Shock.

Congrats!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a nice found. Back in the days, my friend had one and I thought that was one of the coolest feature on G-Shock.

Congrats!
Thanks, man! I actually dug up one of your old comments about this watch from like 12 years ago when I was doing research. I think you mentioned that the pulse sensor was unreliable, which doesn't surprise me. Very cool tech though for its time. :-!

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Sweet pal, I have one also waiting one a bezel the arrive from Malaysia, it's not a perfect one, but, this G-Shocks m will shine again, it's a must have to any collector due the the weirdness of this watch, it's looks amazing!

·
G-Shock Mod
13,945 Posts
Thanks, man! I actually dug up one of your old comments about this watch from like 12 years ago when I was doing research. I think you mentioned that the pulse sensor was unreliable, which doesn't surprise me. Very cool tech though for its time. :-!
Man I am old ... LOL

But I like Casio of that era, they were not afraid to make watches that's a little bit odd :)

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Sweet find! Great how the face is tilted so you could read it more easily on the run. Shame it wasn't more successful for Casio.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Reactions: kubr1ck

·
Premium Member
8,257 Posts
Pretty cool man, congrats!! :-!:-!

This one is one of the more wild looking vintage Gs you've gotten, IMO. Well I guess many of them are kinda that way. All of them give me the impression they belong on aliens' wrists in a Star Trek movie. :-d:-d

You've been on quite the vintage G kick lately. You've certainly picked up quite a variety of unique and rare models. They are cool in their own way. Not my cup of tea personally, but then, you and I can't have 'exactly' the same Casio tastes, now can we?? :-d

Reactions: kubr1ck and GaryK30

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet pal, I have one also waiting one a bezel the arrive from Malaysia, it's not a perfect one, but, this G-Shocks m will shine again, it's a must have to any collector due the the weirdness of this watch, it's looks amazing!
I share your passion for these vintage beasts, ricardo. Looking forward to your acquisitions man! |>

Sweet find! Great how the face is tilted so you could read it more easily on the run. Shame it wasn't more successful for Casio.
Another man's ugly is my precious. :-d

Pretty cool man, congrats!! :-!:-!

This one is one of the more wild looking vintage Gs you've gotten, IMO. Well I guess many of them are kinda that way. All of them give me the impression they belong on aliens' wrists in a Star Trek movie. :-d:-d

You've been on quite the vintage G kick lately. You've certainly picked up quite a variety of unique and rare models. They are cool in their own way. Not my cup of tea personally, but then, you and I can't have 'exactly' the same Casio tastes, now can we?? :-d
Hey brother, some day your fine Tiffany blue Froggy will be unearthed as a valuable vintage relic from the bottom of some lake somewhere and sold for a fortune on eBay. :-d

·
Premium Member
8,257 Posts
Hey brother, some day your fine Tiffany blue Froggy will be unearthed as a valuable vintage relic from the bottom of some lake somewhere and sold for a fortune on eBay. :-d
You mean “a” Tiffany Frog will be unearthed from the bottom of a lake somewhere. “Mine” would be much more likely to be unearthed from the foot of a recliner which was itself unearthed not far from a vintage Samsung flat screen tv! :-d:-d:-d

Reactions: kubr1ck and GaryK30

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You mean “a” Tiffany Frog will be unearthed from the bottom of a lake somewhere. “Mine” would be much more likely to be unearthed from the foot of a recliner which was itself unearthed not far from a vintage Samsung flat screen tv! :-d:-d:-d
LOL touché!

Reactions: Time4Playnow

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Love the Lungman. I have the two special edition models.

I find the pulse sensor to be quite accurate.

Mitch
Nice! Thanks for sharing. And yes, so far the pulse readings have been pretty accurate. Which means that I need a vacation. ;-)

Are your lungs feel better now with the Lung-Man? LOL :-d

BTW, your modules are tilted. ;-)
LOL! I don't believe in Tiltgate. :-d

1 - 16 of 16 Posts