WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

As some of you may have noticed earlier this evening, we've been working on mirroring Chuck's webpage. Unfortunately emerging technical constraints have made it unfeasible to continue hosting Chuck's webpage at the previous Xnet.com host. Since Chuck's passing in May, Jeff Stein, Hewybaby/Sam JH, Bill Sohne and I have worked together to ensure the continued availability of Chuck's works. We have constructed two independent and redundant mirror sites:

http://chronomaddox.com/cm3articles.html and http://godspeedchuck.com

We have also worked with the previous host to cause requests for the old page to be redirected to the new chronomaddox.com mirror. This means that all existing worldwide links and bookmarks to Chuck's pages will remain active. Another major benefit is that supporting links and images to all Chuck's many, many forum posts will remain active and viewable in a (hopefully) uninterrupted fashion. While old links will remain active for the foreseeable future, please update bookmarks and make new links to the new primary chronomaddox.com domain.

'Chronomaddox.com' was a name Chuck and Jeff Stein had discussed as a possible name for a new website Chuck had planned to eventually move all his content to before his passing.

Additionally, Jeff has established a specialized forum dedicate to recollections of Chuck, discussion concerning how to find elements of Chuck's work, and to post and share things like email content from Chuck to collect and archive them:
http://chronocentric.com/forums/chronomaddox/

We miss you, Chuck.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Mirrors Up and Running / ChronoMaddox Has Gone "Live"

Readers:

This was not exactly how we had visualized the "launch", but circumstances have required that we launch the mirror sites a little sooner than we had planned.

Ryan's message explains the technical aspects of the links, images and bookmarks to Chuck's XNet website. We will write more in the near future, but we are happy that the two mirror sites are up and running.

I believe that both the http://www.chronomaddox.com and http://godspeedchuck.com websites are functioning properly now.

You know how things were with Chuck. He really would have enjoyed the drama of being required to move his 2.7 Gig of information, on 24 hour's notice . . . and getting it done with a few minutes to spare!! But that can be a story for another day!!

Have a happy July 4th, be confident that Chuck's information and legacy will be preserved, and stay tuned for further information.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Thank you very very much to you all for making sure that Chuck's work will be around for generation's to come.

Thanks for all the work guys, I appreciate it:thanks:thanks:thanks

Chris.

·
Registered
279 Posts
YO! thanks for your effort in making this whole lot of information still available to everyone on the net ...

and thanks Chuck obviously for all this ..

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
Very well done, gents! Many thanks for your efforts. You guys know better than anyone that Chuck would have appreciated the gesture and all the work that was required.

teeritz

·
Registered
121 Posts
In Simplest Terms

Chuck would have done the same for any of us!! Who can even imagine the thousands and thousands of hours that he spent helping collectors! So we were happy to kick in a few hours to preserve his work.

Besides, we can sleep late tomorrow!!

Jeff

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
Re: Great work guys!

I cannot think of a better memorial to Chuck than this. First, there is the actual fact of preserving Chuck's Legacy and second, there is people working selflessly for the greater good to achieve it.

My congratulations and admiration to Rryan, Jeff Stein, Sam (Hewybaby), Bill Sohne and any others involved in making this happen.

One further suggestion.

Rather than have this body of work remain static, would it make sense to continue to add articles which live up to the standard and spirit of Chuck's contributions. I doubt it would be too arduous to have an ad hoc volunteer editorial panel to peer review articles which might be offered through the various boards. It would be nice to have some sort of incentive for people to engage in the sort of work Chuck was involved in.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Congrats and thanks to all concerned, posterity preserved! :thanks

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Hello everyone,

As some of you may have noticed earlier this evening, we've been working on mirroring Chuck's webpage. Unfortunately emerging technical constraints have made it unfeasible to continue hosting Chuck's webpage at the previous Xnet.com host. Since Chuck's passing in May, Jeff Stein, Hewybaby/Sam JH, Bill Sohne and I have worked together to ensure the continued availability of Chuck's works. We have constructed two independent and redundant mirror sites:

http://chronomaddox.com/cm3articles.html and http://godspeedchuck.com
(browsing to directly to chronomaddox.com right now brings up an empty page, but the rest of the content is there. We're working on it.)

We have also worked with the previous host to cause requests for the old page to be redirected to the new chronomaddox.com mirror.
Get all domains transferred into one account (like GoDaddy), then you can redirect from there.
Redirects are not usually done by the hosting company unless the domain name was purchased through them. Better just to ftp all the files off the original account and upload them to new host. You can easily fix links, etc (if wonked) from there. I currently manage/update about 70+ domains/sites for various clients. First thing I do with new client is clean up site management.
I mentioned this to Bill, but happy to help if you need any thoughts.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks for Advice and Support

Thanks for this message. We have good copies of Chuck's entire XNet website, with all files backed-up at a couple of locations.

With the new domain (and mirror) there may be some kinks to work through, but getting the good transfers of the 2.7 Gig website was a good first step.

Jeff

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unusal case

Get all domains transferred into one account (like GoDaddy), then you can redirect from there.
Redirects are not usually done by the hosting company unless the domain name was purchased through them. Better just to ftp all the files off the original account and upload them to new host. You can easily fix links, etc (if wonked) from there. I currently manage/update about 70+ domains/sites for various clients. First thing I do with new client is clean up site management.
I mentioned this to Bill, but happy to help if you need any thoughts.
The problem was that the home.xnet.com/~cmaddox domain they were hosted on previously wasn't a standalone domain or even a proper subdomain but a subdirectory, so it's not a DNS-only problem. Clearly the previous Xnet.com host couldn't let us monkey with the DNS for their home Xnet.com domain.

The 301 redirect in Apache on Xnet that they graciously implemented for us allows all the existing hotlinked images, links, and bookmarks to work. There's some work left to be done yet, but at least we have the reassurance that working mirrors are in place. Getting access to the data and just moving 2.7GB was itself quite a task especially when we were under the gun like we were. :)

·
Registered
8,409 Posts
Good interim solution. Do you have access to any of Chuck's backups that if might have made on his computer?

I'll shut up now. I know tech geeks. Too many cooks spoil the broth. ;-)

·
Premium Member
12,971 Posts
good job ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts