WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

So bought an amazing watch last month while driving through Germany, a Montblanc Star Legacy 116511. I think I love this watch more than my girlfriend, but a few days ago noticed that the caseback of the watch is slightly misaligned. Of course, for a "regular person" the caseback is straight, but with my OCD kicking in started to think whether something like this can happen also to luxury brands? So I bought the watch at WEMPE boutique which is very popular watch retailer in Germany, would have returned the watch to the boutique but noticed it only when arriving back home to Latvia. Was thinking on sending it back but then I thought that something like this can wait till the first full service in 3 years. I also noticed two microscopic dust particles on the dial, but I guess things like that also happen. My conclusion is that my eyes are just too good and I'm probably gonna buy the next watch only when I'm much older so I don't see such things haha!

Anyways, just wanted to get some of your opinions on this the misaligned caseback and dustparticles (they are too small to take a picture of and you only see it in the perfect light, lol).

Thanks!

·
Registered
138 Posts
So, to me it does look misaligned a bit. Depending on what kind of caseback that has, it could be a bit frustrating, or be absolutely forgivable.

Seeing as there are no cut outs for a regular screwdown caseback tool, and I see no screw heads for a stationary screwed down style, I would have to assume this is either a snap style caseback, or a special tool (ie sticky ball) type of screw down caseback (a la Rolex). If snap style, this should certainly be lined up exactly in place. If screw down style, you get what you get when it's all the way sealed down (from a manufacturing standpoint, getting those threads installed exactly the same from case to case is nearly impossible, and this is close enough IMHO).

I'd wait to take it in for the next service and just mention that to see if there is a way to align perfectly without affecting the water tightness of the caseback, although not being a diver that's likely not a big worry anyway.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
38,881 Posts
^^^^^

I agree with Sticky's answer. If it bothers you, fix it. If not, wait until you need to get it serviced.

Either way, good luck.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Your eyes are great! I probably would've never noticed.
Mind if I send future purchases your way for inspection? 😁

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I checked the caseback on my Omega on my wrist just now and it doesn't there is even an attempt to align it. I checked two other watches in a drawer next to my PC and I see the exact same thing.

I was going to say that the caseback is typically not aligned. But when I pulled up pictures from google of the caseback of this particular watch it does seem that Montblanc have actually designed it to be aligned.

I can honestly say it would not bother me. Because I just looked at a watch I have owned for a decade and it is the very first time I checked whether it was aligned. And now that I learned it is not... it does not bother me in the least.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
until I started hanging out on these forums, I would never have guessed that people would ever notice or care about trivial things like this. Shame on Montblanc for putting those dots on the perimeter, without them you'd never notice that its rotated by 1° from where you think it should be aligned.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Your eyes are great! I probably would've never noticed.
Mind if I send future purchases your way for inspection? 😁
Haha sure, it's actually more of a problem than a skill, whatever I buy - a car, a vacuum, a wife... I always look too close and find flaws, just have to learn living with it, nothing is perfect in this world 😁 Well, except me, minus the OCD 🤣

·
Registered
100 Posts
Is the caseback supposed to be aligned? I thought that most parts that screw down, like the caseback and crown, aren't designed to be perfectly aligned, although it would be great if they did (by chance).

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
The highest 'grade' of watches that I have are vintage Omega Seamasters and a Tudor Oyster and their casebacks are all sorts of directions. Same with signed crowns - none have ever been 'aligned'. Little details can bother me too sometimes, but I never gave these a second thought.

I'm more concerned that the casebacks/crowns are screwed down to their proper tightness and I am happy with whatever alignment they happen to be in that condition. If aligning them perfectly means they are too tight or loose - no thanks.

·
Premium Member
816 Posts
That's always driven me nuts too. When it's a snap-back... easy fix. Screw-back... much more difficult a solution. Often times the threading on a screw-back is done in such a way that you have two ways to begin threading the case-back on. One of the ways will get you about as close as possible. It's important to have the case-back strapped down to the correct fitment to ensure a proper seal, but if it's misaligned and still bothers you, you can increase the thickness of the O-ring gasket from a 0.5mm to a 0.7mm, and this will give you a tighter seal while allowing for a finer adjustment. You never want to go to a thinner O-ring though.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
It would never have occurred to me that a display caseback is supposed to align. A closed caseback with a logo, it might bother me--this, not at all.

·
Registered
998 Posts
That’s a beautiful Montblanc and the caseback wouldn’t bother me in the slightest. Enjoy your gorgeous timepiece.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the replies guys! It’s a snap-on back so in theory it should be perfectly aligned, but it doesn’t bother me much, so will address it once I send it to full service in 3 years. 🤓

1 - 17 of 17 Posts