WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my first mechanical watch about a month ago. It's been running great. I've found out that if I turn the watch to engage the rotor a couple of times each time I put on or take off the watch it stays wound up very well and the watch stays within an accuracy of +-1 second. The last week I tested this I found out that my watch hardly skipped a beat. In those 7 days it was within a second, impressive.

Unfortunately that precision does not apply to the date window. Am I being too picky here? I've done a little bit of research and from what I've read, it seems my watch may have a misprinted date wheel as the alignment alternates between being too high, just right, too low, and then just right again. The ones that are too low go pass what I think should be the tolerance because you can even see part of the next date in the rotation. What do you think?

I did buy this from an authorized dealer and I have worn the watch. Should I go back to the dealer and have them send it off to Oris? Or would it be better for me to contact Oris directly?

PA010011.JPG PA010017.JPG PA010021.JPG

·
Registered
74 Posts
I suggest you take the watch back to the AD and see what they propose.
The date disc is clearly not printed right and is a legit issue.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
If the whole number fits in the window, it's good to go. Yours clearly does not, I'd take it back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
Take it back. You have the right to expect a properly aligned date on an Oris.

·
Premium Member
61,485 Posts
If it was an affordable Seiko or Orient then I'd say that it was par for the course but no way no how is it acceptable on an Oris and don't let the AD tell you it is - it ain't.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, good to know my expectations are not out of line. The dealer called me back this morning. He said to bring it in and that we'll probably have to send it to Oris to get serviced, 3-6 weeks is the turn around time I'm told.

The waits a little disappointing for what is essentially a watch I received out of spec and not something that happened over time.

Is this the standard procedure to expect for the watch industry?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
It can be, but this sounds like it needs a new part rather than a tweak. As such it might be worth pressing for an exchange. Did you buy on plastic?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It can be, but this sounds like it needs a new part rather than a tweak. As such it might be worth pressing for an exchange. Did you buy on plastic?
I'll press for an exchange given that the watch came defective but I doubt they'll want to.

Yes I did buy with plastic. I'm not sure if my credit card has some extra protection to offer in a case like this but I thought about that. I'm going to give them a call and see what they say.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
most definitely take it back to the AD and have them contact Oris for the repair. you need a new date wheel.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
They should replace it in my opinion I would try that route total unacceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went to the dealer today and the salesman was real nice and he turned the date using the quickset and manually several times to see if the date would settle in but nothing changed. I did try that myself but before going in. Afterwards he said it looked fine to him and he thought it was within spec. He told me he had another exact model coming in in two weeks and if I wanted to wait and compare it to that one.

At that point I pressed him for an exchange if that one was noticeably better but he said he couldn't do that that all he could do was take pictures and show Oris the difference. So I said to just send it in to Oris becaus Oris will already know what is within their spec.

He did try to convince me to hold onto it for a year to see if it settled in because they cover the first shipment back to Oris and afterwards it's on my dime but I had him send it in now.

He said it looked fine to him and he thinks Oris is going to see it and say it's within spec and just send it back. Now it's about a month wait to see what Oris says.

I am a little tempted to just dispute the charge on my card but that seems a bit of a jerk move...

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'll be honest as I have no horse in this race.
I tried zooming these photos to normal size (what they might look like I real life not under a loupe zoomed to 10X). It's not that bad. I know at the higher price points you'd expect it to be more perfect. Under a loupe, things are never perfect. But looking at the big picture - can you still tell the time and date accurately?

If you wish to dispute this with your CC company, it might give you quicker resolution. I don't think it would be out of line if you felt that as a customer, you did not have your needs met, or if the product did it fall within its own specs. But to me, I may be in the minority in thinking it ain't that bad.

·
Registered
7,673 Posts
I would want them to exchange for another of the same watch instead of replace the wheel for free though. Why would I want a month old watch open up heading for repair?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The product was delivered to you, and the AD and Oris seem to be (probably) handling any adjustments or service for out-of-spec parts. A CC dispute does not seem to be the correct action here. The CC company may not even allow disputes about quality of goods, instead allowing them only for billing errors or non-delivery of goods (may vary from company to company).

That said, the misalignment probably would bother me. But I'd wait for a response from Oris.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll be honest as I have no horse in this race.
I tried zooming these photos to normal size (what they might look like I real life not under a loupe zoomed to 10X). It's not that bad. I know at the higher price points you'd expect it to be more perfect. Under a loupe, things are never perfect. But looking at the big picture - can you still tell the time and date accurately?

If you wish to dispute this with your CC company, it might give you quicker resolution. I don't think it would be out of line if you felt that as a customer, you did not have your needs met, or if the product did it fall within its own specs. But to me, I may be in the minority in thinking it ain't that bad.
I've had those same thoughts as well. The watch tells time very well and I can read the date just fine and it's not as obvious in person as if you magnify it. I noticed a small misalignment early on but I thought no big deal because I have to look for it to notice it. Then in the late 20's it became obvious because part of the next date is visible and thats when it became hard to look past.

Thats why I posted here to see if my expectations were realistic because it's pointless to go round in circles with the dealer and Oris if this is considered acceptable and a replacement would yield the same result. I also don't want to be one of those unreasonable customers.

Although the I have no plans to ever sell the watch, I imagine if this is out of spec this would hurt resale value too so that's part of my consideration. I would definitely not sell this to someone without mentioning the issue.

A shorter way to say all this is that I'm just looking to receive what I paid for and I came here to see if I did.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I've had those same thoughts as well. The watch tells time very well and I can read the date just fine and it's not as obvious in person as if you magnify it. I noticed a small misalignment early on but I thought no big deal because I have to look for it to notice it. Then in the late 20's it became obvious because part of the next date is visible and thats when it became hard to look past.

Thats why I posted here to see if my expectations were realistic because it's pointless to go round in circles with the dealer and Oris if this is considered acceptable and a replacement would yield the same result. I also don't want to be one of those unreasonable customers.

Although the I have no plans to ever sell the watch, I imagine if this is out of spec this would hurt resale value too so that's part of my consideration. I would definitely not sell this to someone without mentioning the issue.

A shorter way to say all this is that I'm just looking to receive what I paid for and I came here to see if I did.
If you only had it a week I would expect them to give you a refund. You would have to possibly wait 6 weeks to get your watch back that you just bought. Just say the reason you bought from an AD and not the gray market was because of service. I myself would find this unacceptable. It is not something you would notice at first as the dates are fine around the 2nd. But as you go up in dates it gets worse and worse. If they don't replace for you you could report to BBB.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts