WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I bought a Patek Phillipe Nautilus 5711 recently, had it for about 2 weeks. Anyways upon VERY close inspection recently, I've noticed that the two markers that constitute 12 o'clock, seems abit misalligned. It looks as if one of them, is leaning too closely to the other on its top half. Anyways, I can only see this if I really look really closely. I've talked to my friend about it, who is a dealer, and according to him, these watches are hand-made, so I shouldn't expect it to be completely free of human error. But in my own conception of PP's and other expensive brands of watches, I've always thought they were flawless or atleast should be flawless in all its detail, even to its minuscule level. But my friend, told me apparently not. And that I should be deferential.

Anyways what do you guys think? Should I be deferential about it? Or cause a fuss. I have to admit, it's not very apparent, just when you look close up at a certain angle.

heres a pic of what the 5711 looks like for those of you who don't know:
Watch Analog watch White Watch accessory Strap

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
If you are prone to OCD, like many of us here, then take it in before you end up spending hours in the fetal postion. You spent no small sum on the watch and, I think, it should be well aligned in all respects. If you are a live and let live kind of guy like Watchbreath, then just enjoy your "custom" Patek.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Absolutely unacceptable in my book. For the price point of the Nautilus, a visible flaw shouldn't be considered normal. At the price and for the prestige of the Patek brand, I think complete satisfaction should be part of the package.

As an example, I purchased a Chris Reeves Mnandi pocket knife (I think about 5-600 USD for Creme Mammoth Ivory). I noticed that the grinds in the blade were ever so slightly unbalanced, my non-knife friends couldn't even see the flaw. I emailed Chris Reeve Knives and they told me to send it in. I got it back a couple of weeks later with a note of apology and the grinds were perfect.

Reactions: eddieo396

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Does this kind of thing happen often guys to branded watches? I'm relatively new to luxury watches. Will post a pic when I get a chance to photo it. To be honest, personally it doesn't bother me that much visually. As I said, it is hardly noticable unless held closely or looked at, at a certain light angle. However it WOULD bother me alot(cuz I'm a weird/vindictive person) if I felt like I got ripped off, that is, these kinds of things arent supposed to happen and it happened to me. Thats why, I'm asking whether I should be deferential. My friend who is an authorized dealer for various kinds of watches, assured me that lil specs of flaws do sometime happen with watches and that I shouldnt worry about it.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
In the end, it's what bothers you, not your AD or me or any other member here. The fact that you are seeking guidance tells me that it's bugging you to some extent. It's your watch and your money and your peace of mind and your call.

Reactions: EHV

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
I would not accept it. Strange the QC at PP did not pick it up.

Reactions: Spit161

·
Registered
42,333 Posts
Yep, if you get the chance, check-out the body work of a Rolls Royce, I've seen errors that were glaring.
Does this kind of thing happen often guys to branded watches? I'm relatively new to luxury watches. Will post a pic when I get a chance to photo it. To be honest, personally it doesn't bother me that much visually. As I said, it is hardly noticable unless held closely or looked at, at a certain light angle. However it WOULD bother me alot(cuz I'm a weird/vindictive person) if I felt like I got ripped off, that is, these kinds of things arent supposed to happen and it happened to me. Thats why, I'm asking whether I should be deferential. My friend who is an authorized dealer for various kinds of watches, assured me that lil specs of flaws do sometime happen with watches and that I shouldnt worry about it.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
In the end, it's what bothers you, not your AD or me or any other member here. The fact that you are seeking guidance tells me that it's bugging you to some extent. It's your watch and your money and your peace of mind and your call.
Exactly. It's your call and if it didn't bother you, you probably wouldn't be posting here.
Personally, I would not accept it unless I found evidence of the exact same issue on multiple other of the same model; meaning that it is not a one off issue, it is a model issue. That's probably not likely with PP so if it indeed bothers you or irritates you in some way, strike now and take care of the issue.
Beautiful watch BTW! One of my grails.
And of course, welcome to WUS. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Best is to check with PP and make an official claim about the flaw. Either they have to replace it or have it fixed. To fix it, I would just defer it to the next maintenance schedule all for free.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
For many of us, especially on a newly purchased watch from an AD this would be absolutely unacceptable on a $500.......and this is a what, a $20-$30 thousand dollar watch?

Any AD that sold a newly purchased PP, within reasonable time, that found out that issue you had, should be insisting to fix that. And I bet PP would insist on fixing it too.......that is very bad publicity for PP if thought anything different IMO.

If you ever planned to sell it, and disclosed this, you should expect to have a difficult time selling at the going rate of one that had no such issue.

·
Banned
626 Posts
Unacceptable. What we have here is a triple error. First it was placed incorrectly, second it wasn't noticed by the person who did the work, third it wasn't noticed by the QC people. And, if you want to, it wasn't noticed by the AD who sold it to you. And that's exactly why there is a warranty. On the most outrageously priced steel watch in history (let alone stupid Rolex vintages) from the most famed brand any error at all is unacceptable. You pay this highest price of all because it is supposed to be perfect. The "handmade" excuse is such a lame bailout I'd be angry at my friend for disrespecting me. If it was he who sold it to you, unless you got it without any margin, it would actually enrage me more.

If you got it at his price without any margin, he did you a wonderful favor and I wouldn't mention it to him anymore. Still, I'd send a note to PP claiming the error and saying you'd like that fixed at the first maintenance service.

Otherwise, congrats on the gorgeous watch and welcome! :)

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
My steel fish hs a very slight flaw like the one you are speaking of. The arrow above the hashmark over the twelve marker is ever so slightly of center. It took me months to catch. At first it bugged me a little but over time I saw it's being unique to my watch. Just like no person is perfect everyone has a flaw. I see my watch as having a little more character and not just a perfect stamped piece. It doesn't bother me any more.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the pointers guys.

My steel fish hs a very slight flaw like the one you are speaking of. The arrow above the hashmark over the twelve marker is ever so slightly of center. It took me months to catch. At first it bugged me a little but over time I saw it's being unique to my watch. Just like no person is perfect everyone has a flaw. I see my watch as having a little more character and not just a perfect stamped piece. It doesn't bother me any more.
Yeah to be honest I'm not really bothered by it, it is only very slight. I guess my main question, here was whether these things happen? Not so much whether I should fix it.

So yeah, do they happen?

·
Banned
626 Posts
Not to put you down, the Steelfish is nice and all but it is not THE high-end sportswatch by THE brand. If you paid ten times of what you paid for the SF, would you still think that's a character trait? We are not talking about a person here. This is an instrument and a status symbol that bases its value on perfection.
BTW, I couldn't find any fault on my Superocean Abyss which is not even as expensive as the SF, let alone the Nautilus.

Besides, the watch will soon have the first scratches that will make it uniquely yours because you put them in there (I know it hurts) and not somebody else.

So re-framing for peace of mind is good but there have to be certain standards and companies have to be held to those standards.

Do these things happen? What kind of a question is that? Of course, they happen - the prove you are here to talk about it. But they shouldn't happen. There are certainly worse things in life, let's not blow it out of proportion. Yet in the framework of luxury watches a manufacturing mistake on a Nautilus is not to be excused.

I once talked to an American Mercedes tech. He said he'd never buy a Mercedes made in the USA because those are the cars he most works on that have manufacturing mistakes and QC omissions, which partly lead to more serious trouble. So by being too laxist overall the pride in craftsmanship has gone down and we shouldn't let that happen to Swiss watches.

Moreover, if the index is crooked there is the possibility of it not being properly fixed. If it is not properly fixed it might come off. If it comes off and gets into the hands to block them, this might cause damage to the movement. I don't need to tell you that that's not good. Even if it just scratches the dial it would be a costly repair.

So the least you can do is to alert PP (in writing) to the error. This way you are covered if ever something should happen.

·
Registered
455 Posts
"For many of us, especially on a newly purchased watch from an AD this would be absolutely unacceptable on a $500.......and this is a what, a $20-$30 thousand dollar watch?"

Could not have put this better myself. I am just befuddled when it comes to the (supposed) breezy, just chill and accept it attitude. Really? With a PPN you must be kidding!

It's odd because the more one focuses on watches the more one realises that there are often many quality issues in an industry where luxury and quality, almost perfection are promised - this is what is being sold. I think we'll all conceed and tolerate that small imperfections and mechanical problems exist if they are dealt with efficiently by the manufacturer...but in the case of a an item misaligned on the face of a Patek Phillipe- I think one has the right to expect a perfect dial for god's sake.​

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Yea man...I know my watch isn't THE watch or whatever you are saying, I get that, I was only trying to say that it doesn't bother me any more that's all. BUT if I bought a PP I probably would have sent it back. Go to the Rolex forum, there are a lot of posts about QC issues, dust under the dial, scratched dials poor application of loom, this happens a lot more than people think especially if you geek out on your watch like we do. I don't think price plays that big of a role, any produced item can and will have flaws, think about it, what if your job was to scope out thousands of watches for QC issues, I guarantee you would miss stuff here and there, stare at the same thing day in and day out, you will make mistakes I don't care who you are.
Not to put you down, the Steelfish is nice and all but it is not THE high-end sportswatch by THE brand. If you paid ten times of what you paid for the SF, would you still think that's a character trait? We are not talking about a person here. This is an instrument and a status symbol that bases its value on perfection.
BTW, I couldn't find any fault on my Superocean Abyss which is not even as expensive as the SF, let alone the Nautilus.

Besides, the watch will soon have the first scratches that will make it uniquely yours because you put them in there (I know it hurts) and not somebody else.

So re-framing for peace of mind is good but there have to be certain standards and companies have to be held to those standards.

Do these things happen? What kind of a question is that? Of course, they happen - the prove you are here to talk about it. But they shouldn't happen. There are certainly worse things in life, let's not blow it out of proportion. Yet in the framework of luxury watches a manufacturing mistake on a Nautilus is not to be excused.

I once talked to an American Mercedes tech. He said he'd never buy a Mercedes made in the USA because those are the cars he most works on that have manufacturing mistakes and QC omissions, which partly lead to more serious trouble. So by being too laxist overall the pride in craftsmanship has gone down and we shouldn't let that happen to Swiss watches.

Moreover, if the index is crooked there is the possibility of it not being properly fixed. If it is not properly fixed it might come off. If it comes off and gets into the hands to block them, this might cause damage to the movement. I don't need to tell you that that's not good. Even if it just scratches the dial it would be a costly repair.

So the least you can do is to alert PP (in writing) to the error. This way you are covered if ever something should happen.

·
Registered
21,286 Posts
Any close-up picture ?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts