WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a long time reader of this forum. I have learned a great deal from the members here. I'm not sure why I have not contributed anything before now but I suppose I always felt I didn't really have anything new or exciting to share that hasn't been seen before. That has changed fairly recently as I have acquired a very special piece. I refer to this piece as "Mischa's 59". It is a type 59 chronograph that has been meticulously restored to perfection by a fellow Soviet watch enthusiast who some of you may know - Mischa. He has faithfully restored this rare and important piece of Soviet watch history to almost like new status in a manner I have never seen before. Most importantly he has strived to be as historically accurate as possible. If some of you have been involved with restoring these old pieces you will understand how much work, time, effort, and personal cost is involved. I will let the pictures do the talking as I don't believe words can do it justice.

The following picture demonstrates how the watch was found in it's original condition by Mischa. This is unfortunately how many type 59 examples are found these days.

Here is a reference image used in the restoration:

The final beautiful restoration:

Mischa with the watch in a museum with it's relative:

Here is Mischa's 59 with my other examples. Note I believe the bottom left example to be my most original example of a 59. Mischa's example contains a German manufactured movement, the three others contain Soviet manufactured movements (at least according to the parts that were stamped):

Some more shots with my 59 family:

Here's a couple with Mischa's 59 and some older Kirova's:

A couple shots next to a more modern watch manufactured with roots in Glashutte:

I think Mischa's 59 holds up very well as a modern almost like new example of a watch. The movement operates perfectly.

Mark Gordan says he doesn't collect watches, he collects pieces of cultural, political, and industrial history. I tend to think along the same lines, and this piece in particular is a very unique marriage of a very old example of historical Soviet horology being restored and massaged to it's former glory by a passionate Soviet watch enthusiast from the modern era.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Mark Gordan says he doesn't collect watches, he collects pieces of cultural, political, and industrial history. I tend to think along the same lines, and this piece in particular is a very unique marriage of a very old example of historical Soviet horology being restored and massaged to it's former glory by a passionate Soviet watch enthusiast from the modern era.
I follow the same ideology with collecting these wonderful old examples of Soviet and Imperial Russia horology. What a beautiful and important watch you have there, and the work done on it to bring it back to its former glory is amazing. Many congratulations, and thank you so much for sharing – wear it in good health.

Those other old chronographs, are they yours too, and do you have a collection you might care to share with us – I for one would love to see them…

·
Registered
587 Posts
I am amazed; please tell us a little about the watch on the lower right--I've never seen anything like that. Wonderful, inspiring timepieces; thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
I am amazed; please tell us a little about the watch on the lower right--I've never seen anything like that. Wonderful, inspiring timepieces; thanks for sharing.
It's Zarja 2006 with jumping hour. The movement itself is pretty common, but the complication over it is very rare.

·
Registered
467 Posts
There's one on eBay with a "buy it now" price of US$1990.00. Item no 172346664661 if anyone's interested!
Dial looks funky and no assurances that it actually works as well. Interestingly there is also a 3031 on ebay now as well. In my limited exposure to these two watches in the online market, I would wager the jump hour is actually the rarer of the two.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Awesome comrade, this will be the only time I will see one!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts