WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

I am a new member of this forum although I have read several posts on dress watches in other threads. I am Italian, 30y old and I am an happy owner of a Rolex submariner no-date and a JL reverso night&day... both are gifts from my parents.

I have now decided to enlarge my "collection" and to buy myself a proper dress watch, but I am getting crazy to find the right one with all my specs o|. I am open to new (if I can find a nice offer on ebay or somewhere) or vintage, but I would like to chose among the well known brands (longines, omega, zenith, iwc,..) to do a kind of "long-term investment"

hereafter my bullet points:
  • yellow solid gold
  • round case
  • >= 35mm
  • automatic
  • white dial with roman numbers or no numbers

among my preferred watches: Zenith Elite, Longines La grande Classique, Baume & Mercier Classima, but all 3 are slightly above my budget.

I really hope to get some good hints from this forum :)

Thank you all in advance ;-)

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
You could start going through the gold watch list on Chrono24 : Gold Watches on Chrono24: Rolex, Cartier, Omega

You can put a price range in on the left side, and pick brands if you like. It should give you some idea of what vintage pieces might fall into your price range. I'd think some Omega, UG, or Longines might work on price, but odds are that they'll either be manual wind, or too small.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Baume has a lot of 14k and 18k solid gold watches from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. In your price range you can get one in excellent condition, as they do not command the same premium as other brands like Omega and Zenith. eBay has a lot of these, just be sure to research the seller.

·
Registered
31,441 Posts
Vintage is going to be your best bet given your criteria, IMHO.

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
Good luck in your search....You will need it.

·
Premium Member
21,826 Posts
What's going to make it challenging even for a vintage watch is the requirement that it be 35mm or larger. The best deals to be had on vintage watches are those which are small by modern standards, say in the 32mm to 33mm range.

·
Registered
2,995 Posts
I have this, vintage Girard Perregaux with 14k bezel and SS case-back. Automatic with date!

·
Premium Member
7,510 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Benvenuto!

I believe that if you find the right seller a Longines La Grande Classique in gold can be purchased for an amount of money very near to your budget. I bought one recently and during the search I found more than one alternative.

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,826 Posts
I believe that if you find the right seller a Longines La Grande Classique in gold can be purchased for an amount of money very near to your budget. I bought one recently and during the search I found more than one alternative.
This seems like a good suggestion, the Longines L4.738.6.11.2, which is a 34mm with an automatic movement can be had at about the price range.

L4.738.6.11.2 Longines La Grande Classique Gold White Dial Mens Watch

Longines L4.738.6.11.2 La Grande Classique Mens Watch for $ 2,280 for sale from a Trusted Seller on Chrono24

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,826 Posts
Reactions: watchyourself

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Closest NEW watch I could find is Maurice Lacroix Les Classiques on World of Watches. No AD, but legit. 2700 ish, solid gold, auto, white dial with roman numerals.
6597250086564290534.jpg

The Longines suggested previously is also quite good.

·
Banned
4,491 Posts
I'd recommend you follow ebay seller lycollectionwatches. He is a reputable long-standing seller of good condition vintage pieces. He works with a watchmaker to clean and repair his pieces prior to sale, and he handles any problems promptly and fairly. His current selection is pretty slim, but you can tell him what you are interested in. With vintage, sometimes you just have to wait. Also, check the forums sales boards, consolidated at watchrecon.com (select Omega once there).

Also, I like your forum name. I'm guessing that work'n'fart was already taken?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Rotary does some of the most affordable solid gold watches, I think most are quartz but there might be an auto or two. Other than that, I'd go for a vintage Longines with a Calibre 990, which is now the Lemania 8810 used by Breguet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts