WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Less than a week of owning my GW-500u, there's a major problem. I noticed today that the screen has gone misty. Obviously water ingress<|
After looking today, it seems the back has been off but not replaced correctly. The seal is actually sticking out.
I bought it from a seller on e-Bay, it was advertised as 'Used with cosmetic signs of usage. I could probably contact him and ask for a replacement, although the replacement may be in a bad state too.
So i'm going to try at an Argos shop to see if they'll replace it or send it off for repair, if they don't, then i'll contact the seller.
Wish me luck.

Here's the sad face.

Notice the seal poking out?

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I don't think you have much to lose by having a go yourself. With help from the 'How To' threads here, remove the back, carefully dry it out with a hairdryer, (ideally) lubricate the gasket with silicone grease and adjust it back into position, then replace the back. That's assuming the gasket hasn't been too badly damaged.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
While Lex is correct I honesly would not bother.

This model doesn't really cost a fortune and can be found for a 100 or so discounted in most retail stores.

I'd count my loses and head to the store to get another one... anything else is just too much hassle to be honest.

Yes, I'm seeing my g-shocks as disposables. They rarely brake and even on those occasions when they do... who cares, go to the shop and get another one.

Just my 0.02 cents for what it's worth...

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Sorry to hear about the misty crystal, I agree with Lexx, his DIY method would also be my first step. Hope it all works out, and do let us know the outcome.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
It seems a shame to bin it when there's nothing really wrong with it. Assuming the gasket isn't broke or perished, it just needs drying and the gasket putting in properly. It's less hassel than a battery change, and while getting a new one is a great idea, it could still live on as a beater.

I'm not sure about paying to get it fixed though, unless it has sentimental value. A new one might not cost much more than the repair bill.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Why would Argos replace it?

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I think it's safe to say Argos won't replace a second hand watch that's been taken apart and put back together wrong.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Yes, I read it to mean that a free replacement was being sought for a second-hand watch purchased elsewhere... :think:

I hope I read it wrong.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Argos usually replace items, especially when you tell them it was bought as a gift (ie. i don't have the receipt), however it didn't work with them this time... it was worth a shot.
I've just contacted the seller on e-Bay (am i allowed to say his seller id?), to ask him what i should do.
Just to clarify. It was one of a number of the same model he was selling, so i think he must have had a load of factory reconditioned watches.
And, i'll only attempt a repair myself if the seller fails to respond. I'm sure it would be really easy to put right, but i hope the seller will just replace it.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
So I didn't read it wrong.

I can't approve of that. Scamming is scamming, whether it's from a trader to an individual, or from an individual to a trader.

Not good, mally - not good at all.

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
ps Tribe : your signature is looking very balanced and aesthetically pleasing :)
Actually, I should change it, because I've posted one of my watches to a buyer this morning.

Maybe I'll leave it until my new watch arrives in a few days. ;-)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the seller now has the watch and is trying to source me as replacement or they'll organise a refund if they can't find one.

tribe125, i seriously can't see why you wouldn't approve of that, as either way i returned the watch, it will end up back as Casio's door. I would understand scamming in the sense of selling a fake watch, or selling a watch that didn't work, but trying to save on postal costs and the chances of the watch going missing in the messed up postal services, i initially opted for the safest way first.

I'll just have to watch my words in future.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
I think what would happen is, Casio would charge for the repairs, and Argos would expect you to pay. I don't believe for one moment it left Casio's factory in that condition, and I doubt they would either.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Well, the seller now has the watch and is trying to source me as replacement or they'll organise a refund if they can't find one.

tribe125, i seriously can't see why you wouldn't approve of that, as either way i returned the watch, it will end up back as Casio's door. I would understand scamming in the sense of selling a fake watch, or selling a watch that didn't work, but trying to save on postal costs and the chances of the watch going missing in the messed up postal services, i initially opted for the safest way first.

I'll just have to watch my words in future.
You were trying to pull a fast one whichever way you slice it. Pull strokes by all means but don't post your intentions, stick to 'I got it sorted'.
Many stores have policys that are open to abuse (for abuse read 'take advantage of' ;-) ). I bought a box of CD's from a boot sale took out the ones I wanted (20 or so) and sold the rest to Cash Converters whose policy at the time was 50p per CD single regardless of quantity or title.
I sold them 160 cd singles of which there was at least 3 titles duplicated to the tune of about 10 ish pieces each. I had paid £20 for the case to begin with. Now this wasn't abuse of a system just good planning on my part but some might see it as a scam but since the stores policy was set in stone who was I not to take advantage.
Openly saying you were attempting to rip off Casio (and Argos) wasn't the smartest thing to post.
You paid a fair price for the watch so fix it yourself, if you expect perfect used goods from ebay then you will be dissapointed at least 75% of the time.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
well regardless of how you get it fixed, you got yourself a good watch there, i have a similar model and despite it not being sunny here and the watch staying in the box for a while, it still shows full charge. you might need to play with the settings though, mine was set to the transmitter in Germany instead of the UK one.

·
Registered
13,279 Posts
I heard that Argos used to sell Christmas trees but they stopped selling them because people would buy them just before Christmas, use them, and then take them back because of the 10(?) day, no questions asked refund policy.

Not sure if that's true or not.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts