WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got one of these beauties to review. They'll be on Kickstarter in a few months, but I got to play with their prototype. I'm a sucker for blue dials, and this one did not disappoint with it's super dynamic brushed finish dial. I think the brand name might be the only unappealing aspect of this watch. In a similar manner to that of "Christopher Ward", but I'm still a fan. I believe this will be $380 on Kickstarter and around $500 later on.

Here's my full length written review for those that are interested - Mitch Mason Chronicle – Beans & Bezels

Specs:
Case: 36.5mm (diameter) x 43.5mm (lug-to-lug) x 13.5mm (height, including 1.5mm crystal)
Lug Width: 20mm
Water Resistance: 200m
Movement: Miyota 9039

But onto the more important - photographs!

Case:

Dial:

Hands:

Wrist (6.25"):

Lume:

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Looks good. Price for pre-order is pretty nice. Sandwich dial, unique hand set, smaller case size...alot to like. Not even discussing the blue dial or the material finishing (which looks good as well). That sand dial looks a treat! I'd be very interested in more photos of it

No date looks nice, but honestly a date complication is so useful. Why not a 6oclock option?

·
Premium Member
6,987 Posts
Beautiful. Lots of modern Railmaster there, but not in a copying way. Like Middy, I'm one of those "has to have a date" guys, but I can see how even a 6 o'clock would disrupt the design.
I can't help but see the hour hand as a guy pointing his finger at the numbers. Maybe it's just me.

Reactions: docvail

·
Vendor
26,145 Posts
Beautiful. Lots of modern Railmaster there, but not in a copying way. Like Middy, I'm one of those "has to have a date" guys, but I can see how even a 6 o'clock would disrupt the design.
I can't help but see the hour hand as a guy pointing his finger at the numbers. Maybe it's just me.
You are not alone. That's what I see.

I can't see any place to put a date window that wouldn't ruin the dial design, even more so if the date wheel wasn't color-matched to either the dial's color, or the lume color, depending on the window's placement.

I've been seeing the watch promoted in some FB groups I frequent for what feels like a few months now. I applaud the designer for doing something a bit different, to include what appears to me as an original and fairly unique case design.

This isn't my personal cup of tea, but I wish them well with the project.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I don't like the name or logo, but the dial and design are more than decent but 36mm is just way too small. Very niche market size. 200m wr is great I love that and it's nice to see a miyota priced around $400 that's a good range for that movement.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks good. Price for pre-order is pretty nice. Sandwich dial, unique hand set, smaller case size...alot to like. Not even discussing the blue dial or the material finishing (which looks good as well). That sand dial looks a treat! I'd be very interested in more photos of it

No date looks nice, but honestly a date complication is so useful. Why not a 6oclock option?
Thanks for looking. I agree, at $380 this is an easy watch to justify buying. I've got more photographs in my written review and a full video review in case you missed it! If you still want more photographs, I can upload a few here.

Haha! All I see is a fancy fountain pen nib. Can you sketch out the "guy pointing his finger" over the image? I don't see it but I really want to see it :LOL::LOL:

You are not alone. That's what I see.

I can't see any place to put a date window that wouldn't ruin the dial design, even more so if the date wheel wasn't color-matched to either the dial's color, or the lume color, depending on the window's placement.

I've been seeing the watch promoted in some FB groups I frequent for what feels like a few months now. I applaud the designer for doing something a bit different, to include what appears to me as an original and fairly unique case design.

This isn't my personal cup of tea, but I wish them well with the project.
I hope he sees this, I'm certain he will appreciate your kind words. I agree with you, it's nice to see creative design even if it isn't something that attracts you personally.

I'm on team #NoDate so I love the fact that there isn't a date window!

I don't like the name or logo, but the dial and design are more than decent but 36mm is just way too small. Very niche market size. 200m wr is great I love that and it's nice to see a miyota priced around $400 that's a good range for that movement.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
I wouldn't recommend this to 7"+ wrists for sure, unless you're going for a total vintage watch wrist presence. On my 6.25" wrist it fits great.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I did check your written review.

I agree that the watch as a whole looks much better date-less (much like me in high school...heyyyyyy lol), I have watches without a date complication and wear them, but I swear every time I wear them, I need the date, look at my watch, than cry myself to sleep over Sarah Puckette not going to the Winter formal with me. Lol

I am also glad to see someone making a watch in the sub-38mm category. I know there are options available but not nearly as many. As a gent with 6.25-6.375" wrists I appreciate a company who will take a risk on a smaller diameter case.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I agree that the watch as a whole looks much better date-less (much like me in high school...heyyyyyy lol), I have watches without a date complication and wear them, but I swear every time I wear them, I need the date, look at my watch, than cry myself to sleep over Sarah Puckette not going to the Winter formal with me. Lol

I am also glad to see someone making a watch in the sub-38mm category. I know there are options available but not nearly as many. As a gent with 6.25-6.375" wrists I appreciate a company who will take a risk on a smaller diameter case.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Don't do that to yourself.

I agree, I think a lot of microbrands are moving sub-40mm, which is nice for skinny wrists!

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Here's some more photographs!

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Not a bad design, and I would be happy with the size on my 8' wrists, but I would need a fitted bracelet to tempt me to buy one.

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk

Reactions: singularityseven

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've met Ben the creator personally and he is a passionate young man and I hope he does well for his first watch
I hope his launch is very successful too. This watch is an excellent deal!

Not a bad design, and I would be happy with the size on my 8' wrists, but I would need a fitted bracelet to tempt me to buy one.

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk
I've heard others say the same. I think it would look good on a flat link bracelet too. Maybe as a Kickstarter stretch goal? That said, the leather strap is very impressive.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I think this watch looks great in a 'Railmaster had a baby with a 44GS Grand Seiko' kinda way. Yet it still retains enough identity to be its own thing. I've been conversing with Ben via FB about the watch and one of the things I really like, is that he's open to suggestions and values the opinion of people who are interesting in his project.

Regarding a bracelet option, he looked into it but has decided to not offer it, even as a stretch goal option. I admire this, as he's not willing to offer something which he's not totally happy with. He may offer one separately later on though.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
I wonder if there's any legal entanglements with the established brand Jack Mason.

I know Jack Mason isn't a forum darling, but they are out there and have a significant retail presence in some markets by being a featured brand at Nordstrom.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Really like the design but who is Mitch Mason? I would settle for just the logo. Had to pass on several cool offerings due to random names.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk
I believe it wasn't named after a specific person, but based on the traditional meaning of each word. I agree with you and I think the name is the biggest drawback of this watch. But at $379 and given the quality and attention to detail, I think this watch is still worth considering. It suffers from the 'Christopher Ward' syndrome, but at least gets the dial symmetry right :LOL:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I like the idea behind this watch, highly commend the size and taking chances on design, but I think it could have done with a bit of brushing on the case. Maybe the bezel and the lower part of the case sides?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts