WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts
I think it’s a great design. You get the sense of a few different great watches and yet it’s all original. The movement is a good choice to keep costs down, but still provide a good quality high-beat movement. The dial choices offer variety instead of just different colors. The dial seems uncluttered and highly legible. The finish, original design, strap, and dial suggest they have done a good job spreading the value across the whole watch. I think it’s a good deal at the Kickstarter price.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I believe it wasn't named after a specific person, but based on the traditional meaning of each word. I agree with you and I think the name is the biggest drawback of this watch. But at $379 and given the quality and attention to detail, I think this watch is still worth considering. It suffers from the 'Christopher Ward' syndrome, but at least gets the dial symmetry right

Seems like a decent watch but, Mitch Mason is a terrible brand name.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I like the idea behind this watch, highly commend the size and taking chances on design, but I think it could have done with a bit of brushing on the case. Maybe the bezel and the lower part of the case sides?
The surface between the case and strap is brushed, but I think a few more brushed surfaces could've looked good too. I like the case sides as they are though!

I think it’s a great design. You get the sense of a few different great watches and yet it’s all original. The movement is a good choice to keep costs down, but still provide a good quality high-beat movement. The dial choices offer variety instead of just different colors. The dial seems uncluttered and highly legible. The finish, original design, strap, and dial suggest they have done a good job spreading the value across the whole watch. I think it’s a good deal at the Kickstarter price.
I agree! Funny you mentioned the strap - it actually is a very high-end strap with excellent leather and is very comfortable. I tend to have no (or very low) expectations from microbrand watch straps, but this and the Feynman Eclipse have been excellent!

Seems like a decent watch but, Mitch Mason is a terrible brand name.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I can't disagree with you there.

Is Mitch Mason Jack Mason’s brother? Cousin, nephew, father?
Is it wrong that I heard of Jack Mason after reviewing the Mitch Mason? 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
9,897 Posts
Based off of Jody's video,

The case of this watch is surprisingly nicely designed and finished well, too.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Thanks for the great review @singularityseven
I quite like this one and I'm considering the grey versjon. I feel the two more vintage looking models have a bit cleaner design.
Does anybody know the production time for these watches? Are we talking a few months or up to a year? I can't find any info on the MM-site nor have I ever pre-ordered from a kickstarter campagne.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for the great review @singularityseven
I quite like this one and I'm considering the grey versjon. I feel the two more vintage looking models have a bit cleaner design.
Does anybody know the production time for these watches? Are we talking a few months or up to a year? I can't find any info on the MM-site nor have I ever pre-ordered from a kickstarter campagne.
Thanks for reading/watching!

The vintage ones are much cleaner, but I love the sandwich dials on the two more modern ones.

I asked Ben (founder of Mitch Mason) this question, and here was his response:
Shipping is estimated to be done early April 2021.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Has a bit of a railmaster vibe with that brushed dial, a little king seiko with the case shape, and a little alpinist-ish with the hour hand. For me the name and logo don't work, and the hour hand is too beefy. I like the size and some of the style ideas, but overall its a pass for me.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I believe it wasn't named after a specific person, but based on the traditional meaning of each word.
I’ll be honest with you...I don’t know what that means. I know what a mason is, but not a “mitch.” I already didn’t care much for the brand name, but assuming it was the name of the creator made it more acceptable. Now I’m just confused. But I will say I love how the blue second hand pops on the gray dial version, and it is a great looking watch overall.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I’ll be honest with you...I don’t know what that means. I know what a mason is, but not a “mitch.” I already didn’t care much for the brand name, but assuming it was the name of the creator made it more acceptable. Now I’m just confused. But I will say I love how the blue second hand pops on the gray dial version, and it is a great looking watch overall.
I had to look it up too:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Great design but I really can’t get behind the brand name. Just sounds like a fashion/mall brand to me for some reason.
"According to Benedict, this brand name was carefully chosen, with ‘Mitch’ meaning “Someone who plays truant” and ‘Mason’ meaning “One who builds“. The name was selected to inspire the idea of going against the norm to build great things."

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
I just learned of this watch today from The Time Bum blog. Like most everyone else, I think it’s a great looking watch with a terrible name that is just asking for a lawsuit from Jack Mason. If I were Benedict Ong, I would have used my own name for the brand—Benedict Watch Co. sounds pretty cool.

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
"According to Benedict, this brand name was carefully chosen, with ‘Mitch’ meaning “Someone who plays truant” and ‘Mason’ meaning “One who builds“. The name was selected to inspire the idea of going against the norm to build great things."

Yep, I believe that is exactly what I wrote in my review - Mitch Mason Chronicle – Beans & Bezels

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
If native English speakers have to crack open the Oxford dictionary to look up an obscure slang meaning of a nickname, it's probably not very effective branding.
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: I think we can all agree that the name is unfortunate, but having spent time with this watch - this one really is worth looking past the name (if you can).

·
Registered
10,855 Posts
You couldn't pay me enough money to wear a 36mm watch, but I appreciate the effort and the enthusiasm ;-)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I just hope he's not "building up" hype just to "skip out" when it comes to delivering.

Kickstarter goes live in less than 24 hours.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Nice looking watch. I like the desert sand version. Only thing that really bugs me is the heigth of the case. If it was an NH35 movement I would understand, but the great advantage of the Miyota is that it's a thin movement. If the total hight would have been around 10 - 10,5mm I'd probably buy one.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts