WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I just hope he's not "building up" hype just to "skip out" when it comes to delivering.

Kickstarter goes live in less than 24 hours.
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I've chatted with him a few times and he is definitely aware of all the concerns people have about KS campaigns.

Nice looking watch. I like the desert sand version. Only thing that really bugs me is the heigth of the case. If it was an NH35 movement I would understand, but the great advantage of the Miyota is that it's a thin movement. If the total hight would have been around 10 - 10,5mm I'd probably buy one.
The height on paper is quite misleading I think. It wears like a 11-11.5mm watch.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It looks like the Chronicles (save for the desert sand dials) are shipping! Mine has already arrived at my local DHL facility and scheduled to be delivered on Monday. I'll post more once I have the watch in hand, but as far as the processes of product development, customer communication and delivering on-schedule (ahead of schedule, actually), I have been well impressed. I look forward to photos and other people's impressions of the watch.

·
Registered
681 Posts
My Mitch Mason Chronicle (Blue Steel) was delivered today by DHL. The short story: this watch is a home run. (More comment and several pics to follow)

When the Chronicle was announced, prior to its Kickstarter launch, delivery was expected in April of this year, then when the campaign began, February was announced as the delivery date and lo and behold the watch arrived in the middle of the month, without any fuss or customs issues. It was packed well, in double cardboard boxes and bubble wrap.

The branded packaging is of very good quality. A sturdy, simple, but smart black cardboard box with raised lettering contains a brown leather watch roll of excellent quality and covered pockets for three watches as well as a zippered pocket for small accessories. Already, before removing the watch, I was impressed.

First impressions of the watch itself, were that it is strikingly handsome and has more presence than its 36.5mm x 43.5mm width and l2l measurements might suggest. Describing the case is sort of difficult for me, as I haven't experienced a case of this shape before. There are several facets to the case design and the lines of the facets meet rather elegantly despite the harsh angles of the design. The finish of the stainless steel alternates between satin brushing and high polish and it is obvious that Mitch Mason took extra care in the execution. Lines are crisp and clean.

My watch came on a hand stitched blue leather strap with a single, signed matching leather keeper and a small but sturdy signed buckle. It's comfortable, the color is rich and even in appearance and the stepped taper works really well with the design.

The dial, like the case, is rather unique without being alien. The dial has a vertical brush pattern which catches light in a way to reflect a spectrum of basic blue to midnight blue and along with the sandwich cardinal arabic numerals, gives it a subtle depth.

The much talked about handset turned out perfect. The combination of polish and applied lume guarantees that the hands remain extremely legible at any angle, in any light. The design of the hands gives the brand a unique identity yet is far from appearing "over the top" once seen in the metal. There is also a custom touch on my handset that may, or may not, be part of the reason this is my favorite of any of the watches I own. ?

A black rubber tropic strap is also included as stretch goal reward. This is more supple and slightly higher quality than the only other tropic strap I've owned - the one on the Dan Henry 1970. It also helps bring out the darker shades of blue in the dial.

This was my first foray into the world of Kickstarter watches, or Kickstarter anything for that matter and I'm very pleased with the process and results. My only quibbles are that I would have liked the crystal's AR coating to be a little more effective and that the tropic strap be the quick release type. Mitch Mason's founder Benedict Ong has set a high bar for my Kickstarter expectations. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention how professionally and politely he handled the development and release of his first effort as a watch brand. It's easy to root for people who can bring unique designs to the market in a timely manner and treat their customers with care and respect.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My Mitch Mason Chronicle (Blue Steel) was delivered today by DHL. The short story: this watch is a home run. (More comment and several pics to follow)

When the Chronicle was announced, prior to its Kickstarter launch, delivery was expected in April of this year, then when the campaign began, February was announced as the delivery date and lo and behold the watch arrived in the middle of the month, without any fuss or customs issues. It was packed well, in double cardboard boxes and bubble wrap.

The branded packaging is of very good quality. A sturdy, simple, but smart black cardboard box with raised lettering contains a brown leather watch roll of excellent quality and covered pockets for three watches as well as a zippered pocket for small accessories. Already, before removing the watch, I was impressed.

View attachment 15714132

View attachment 15714133

View attachment 15714134

First impressions of the watch itself, were that it is strikingly handsome and has more presence than its 36.5mm x 43.5mm width and l2l measurements might suggest. Describing the case is sort of difficult for me, as I haven't experienced a case of this shape before. There are several facets to the case design and the lines of the facets meet rather elegantly despite the harsh angles of the design. The finish of the stainless steel alternates between satin brushing and high polish and it is obvious that Mitch Mason took extra care in the execution. Lines are crisp and clean.

My watch came on a hand stitched blue leather strap with a single, signed matching leather keeper and a small but sturdy signed buckle. It's comfortable, the color is rich and even in appearance and the stepped taper works really well with the design.

The dial, like the case, is rather unique without being alien. The dial has a vertical brush pattern which catches light in a way to reflect a spectrum of basic blue to midnight blue and along with the sandwich cardinal arabic numerals, gives it a subtle depth.

The much talked about handset turned out perfect. The combination of polish and applied lume guarantees that the hands remain extremely legible at any angle, in any light. The design of the hands gives the brand a unique identity yet is far from appearing "over the top" once seen in the metal. There is also a custom touch on my handset that may, or may not, be part of the reason this is my favorite of any of the watches I own. 😉

View attachment 15714139

View attachment 15714142

View attachment 15714143

A black rubber tropic strap is also included as stretch goal reward. This is more supple and slightly higher quality than the only other tropic strap I've owned - the one on the Dan Henry 1970. It also helps bring out the darker shades of blue in the dial.
View attachment 15714145

View attachment 15714148

View attachment 15714147

This was my first foray into the world of Kickstarter watches, or Kickstarter anything for that matter and I'm very pleased with the process and results. My only quibbles are that I would have liked the crystal's AR coating to be a little more effective and that the tropic strap be the quick release type. Mitch Mason's founder Benedict Ong has set a high bar for my Kickstarter expectations. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention how professionally and politely he handled the development and release of his first effort as a watch brand. It's easy to root for people who can bring unique designs to the market in a timely manner and treat their customers with care and respect.
View attachment 15714150
Is that the second hand from the black-dial model? Looks killer, better than the orange second that's normally installed IMO. I ended up buying mine from the previous owner, so I didn't get a choice in the matter.

Here's mine. Any other owners on here?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Is that the second hand from the black-dial model? Looks killer, better than the orange second that's normally installed IMO. I ended up buying mine from the previous owner, so I didn't get a choice in the matter.

View attachment 16048240
Indeed it is the second hand from the black version. Just prior to the KS launch, in a communication with Mr. Ong, I mentioned how I thought the Blue Steel looked great, but my preference would have been for the same second hand from the Jet Black version. I was told that could be accommodated, and so it went - a perk of being an early adopter, I suppose.:) That is just one of several reasons that I am so impressed with the manner in which the owner conducts his business.

I suggest that anyone looking for a compressor style dive watch seriously consider their upcoming release, the Maelstrom. I'm comfortable in saying that I'm sure it will impress.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts