WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I am aware the Swiss movements like ETA are the better quality ones. I am looking at a watch with a Miyota 8215 movement. On a scale of
one to ten with the Etas at ten, where does the Miyota rank? Thank you

·
Premium Member
40,599 Posts

(and ETAs aren't exactly the best you can get)

The Miyota 9015 is not far off being as good as the ETA 2824-2, and some people will tell you it's better because it doesn't suffer the same hand-winding issues as the ETA.

However, the 8215 doesn't hack, is lower beat, and suffers from the Miyota stutter (google it).

It's not terrible, but it's very much an entry level automatic movement and not found in many watches over a couple of hundred dollars nowadays.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
Maybe it depends a bit on what you think makes up a good movement - functions, reliability, winding efficiency, accuracy, serviceability, finish, beat-rate etc.
I'll be generous and give it a 4. ;-)

·
Registered
485 Posts
It depends what you are after, but I'd say it is good for the price. For an entry level automatic it's reasonably accurate and reliable. Not a great finish or pretty to look at, but then that is only really an issue on watches with a glass caseback. It has an old style indirect driven second hand, which is not terrible but can make the second hand skip when you knock it.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Well, I'd say 9, knocking off a point for level of finishing. I have one watch with the 8215 (Tiger Concept) and it's my most accurate automatic, consistently better than my ETAs. I appreciate it's luck of the draw, but proves that even at 'entry level' Swiss made means sweet FA. I fail to see why a lack of hacking is such an issue. Hacking adds mechanical complexity and is offered by movement makers to sell watches to those with OCD. Lower beat means less wear in the long run. Have never experienced the supposed second hand stutter either.

The Miyota is a solid, dependable movement. Don't believe marketing BS and don't be put off by price or country of origin.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have a F71 watch that is superb in almost every way except it has the 8215. The movement is good but it does have a little stutter. For roughly the same price the Seiko NH35A has proven to be a read stud. It presents itself with less visible stuttering and winds on a winder in both directions whereas my 8215 prefers counterclockwise and my 9015 prefers clockwise. That said, the 8215 has a good track record.

·
Moderator Public Forum
23,136 Posts
Hi guys, I am aware the Swiss movements like ETA are the better quality ones. I am looking at a watch with a Miyota 8215 movement. On a scale of
one to ten with the Etas at ten, where does the Miyota rank? Thank you
What do you want them ranked on?

An ETA movement in either the chronometer or elabore grade is better in the sense that more time and money was spent on components and in setting the movement up. And you will pay for those extras. Standard grade ETA movements are arguably as good as the Miyota.

What is it that you want the Miyota and ETA movements to do?
If you want the movement to be durable, reasonably accurate and passably consistent then one from either company will do the job equally well. A watch movement is really just a tractor pushing hands, date wheels, pointers and other complications endlessly around the dial. Doesn't have to be fancy or pricey to do the job for years.

·
Banned
844 Posts
I have several affordable automatics containing the 8215, 7S26, and NH35 movements. I like the 8215 better than the 7S26 because it hand winds (no shake to start). The hacking feature is interesting but it doesn't move the NH35 way ahead of the 8215. In the sub $200 automatic watch category all of the movements are reliable and robust. If you gave me the same watch with an ETA or an 8215 I'd take the ETA every time but in a low cost watch you getting good value with any of these movements. Once above the $300-$400 range I'd have to think carefully about the overall value proposition if the watch was powered with an 8215 as opposed to something more refined.

·
Registered
789 Posts
The Miyota 9015 is a proven workhorse, very reliable, easy and cost effective to service, is plentiful, costs less than an ETA, and can be tuned to within COSC specs.

I have a Lum-Tec Combat B19 with this movement in it that Lum-Tec precision tuned and it runs -3/+5 sec/day.

Food for thought.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i love the movement after having given it little shrift. that is because i recently purchased a very cool citizen diver and found out after i placed the order that it only had the 8215. well, after getting it i was astounded to find it keeping within 4 sec/day accuracy over several days of wear/sitting on a table overnight one night/being on a winder one night. so under all conditions it seems to have kept this remarkable accuracy.

the absolute ONLY thing i give it a low mark on is the infamous second hand stutter. the seconds hand is not directly attached to the drive train, so if you shake the watch moderately, as you might to wind it automaticall (this does manually wind tho), the seconds hand will stutter stop. i've done it about 4 times with this watch and it seems to be more prevalent if you shake the watch only one shake...and not so much if you shake it a few times together.

remarkably, this may be the reason my watch is ONLY 4 sec slow after 3 days of continuous use...the stutter stopping when i have shaken it probably reduced the accuracy a bit. that is good if you wish to praise the movement's accuracy, bad if you realize that such shaking is part of wearing a watch and pragmatically, it detracts from the accuracy.

i give the movement an 8, a huge 1 point deducted for the stutter. i think this is a no brainer if you can get a nice watch you like with an 8015 for $200 or less. above $200 you'd much rather have the seiko NH35 or better in it as it does not have the stutter and it can be hacked and manually wound (as this can too).

·
Registered
4,339 Posts
Winding and date change feel cheap. Accuracy OK but no hand wind or hack (except for the ole "back-pressure trick)

I'd rate it a 3.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
The 8215 is a great movement. Look at indirect drive seconds hands history in watchmaking, and you'll see some very prominent brands associated with it. Just as vintage cars have their pros over newer because they are simpler and easy to work on, the Miyota has its benefits as well.

The stutter has no effect on accuracy whatsoever. The hand just stutters and needs to catch up with the rest of the mechanism that doesn't stutter at all.

The stutter is a plus for extending the life of the movement.

I own a watch with this movement in it currently, and quite frankly, I feel like I stole this watch. All those saying a watch beyond a certain price range with this type of movement in it isn't worth it is wearing a piece without a SEL bracelet, or one with subpar lume, or poor finishing etc... or no nothing about true value, let alone vintage watches.

Reactions: millan and ffritz

·
Registered
800 Posts
You can even have it - a bit reworked, apparently, and not affected by stutter, as far as my experience goes - in a "Swiss Made" watch, like mine below. Under the name "Ruben & Sons MD3G automatic movement".

Of course, only makes sense, if the price is not too different from non-"Swiss Made" watches with the same movement, as is the case with mine.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a Festina with the Miyota 8215 movement and it keeps good time. It gains about 3-4 minutes/month witch, for me, is not the end of the world.

Is stutters only if I hit it on something and never when on my wrist (I didn't try boxing or punching walls with it on the wrist).

Not very well decorated but anyway, most of the time you are going to look at the dial not at the movement.

It does hand-wind but it is not hackable. I don't understand people complaining about hacking seconds. How accurate do you need your watch to be? who reeds the seconds when looking at a watch? - "is 13:26 and 43 seconds, 44 seconds, no, wait 46 seconds". besides, to hack it you'll have to take it of your wrist and pull the crown, reed the time, reset your watch (because it has to be accurate). But, I agree, it's a cool feature. Makes you feel like in the first Mission Impossible series.

Sorry about me rambling away

Anyhow, I would give it a 8/10

·
Registered
14,445 Posts
You can't even wind and ETA 2824 daily and expect it to last. You can do that with Miyotas.

That's just one example of the complicated nature of saying which is better.

Miyotas are very robust. ETA has more heritage.

·
Registered
4,717 Posts

(and ETAs aren't exactly the best you can get)

The Miyota 9015 is not far off being as good as the ETA 2824-2, and some people will tell you it's better because it doesn't suffer the same hand-winding issues as the ETA.

However, the 8215 doesn't hack, is lower beat, and suffers from the Miyota stutter (google it).

It's not terrible, but it's very much an entry level automatic movement and not found in many watches over a couple of hundred dollars nowadays.
^ This.

Except that from certain standpoints, ETAs ARE the best. Not in terms of finish, minute repeaters, 7-day power reserves.... But in terms of basic quality and chronometer grade accuracy for the buck, you can't beat them.

I would give ETA movements in general probably an 8, and the Miyota 8215 a 5. They're a lot better than Vostok and a lot of Chinese movements. Better than a quartz in a $10 Walmart watch.

They hand wind, which some folks prefer, even if it is as the cost of bidirectional automatic winding. They're not much to look at. I would call it a "workmanlike finish". If it's under a solid case back, that doesn't matter.

They're only running at 6 beats per second. No biggy, but it doesn't make for a smoothly-sweeping seconds hand either.

Think of it as the Toyota Corolla of the mechanical watch movement world. :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
You can't even wind and ETA 2824 daily and expect it to last. You can do that with Miyotas.

That's just one example of the complicated nature of saying which is better.

Miyotas are very robust. ETA has more heritage.
Why would you want to wind an automatic watch daily?

·
Registered
14,445 Posts
Why would you want to wind an automatic watch daily?
Multiple reasons. For me it’s usually due to not wearing the watch long enough. I don’t think that’s a deep concept to understand.

The point is that you can if you want or need to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts