WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi watch people,
being used to ETA, Seiko, Tudor and Rolex movements I now got my hands on a (cheaper) watch with a Miyota movement (probably the 8215).
What makes me curious is the sound when manual winding the watch. I do not mean the rotor movement.
But the manual/hand winding sounds sort of snarey/rattery like when winding a child toy or so.
I uploaded a sound example here.

My other movements wind with much less of a noise, even the cheaper ones.
Are you familiar with that sound?

When turning the crown it somehow feels a little rough as some oil is missing.

I wonder if my new watch is fine or if I should send it back to the dealer?

Here an image of the piece in question:

miyota.jpg

Thanks a lot,
Cheers - iheri

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
That's not normal even for a cheap movement like the 8215. These are not repairable either, so just send it back.

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
I had an 8 series miyoto in a Laco, now gone. It was reliable and reasonably accurate. The rotor made an absolute racket just through normal wear. This is a known thing with them. Mine sounded like the jangling of a curtain of glass beads.
But listening to your sound file, that does make a pretty crunchy sound. However, I'd make the judgement call on the feel of the wind. If it's butter smooth I wouldn't be to worried.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies so far. I know about the rotor noise, this is fine for me.
I am only concerned when I manually wind the crown. It feels somehow like it sounds: crunchy, sort of dry like it wanted some oil. I would not call that butter smooth (compared to the higher end movements I know or even a NH35). But it's not like it is stiff or so.

So anyone else with experience of a 8215: do you have the same "crunch"?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts