WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got myself a Corgeut Black Bay one year ago as my first automatic watch. It's been holding up pretty well, and I plan on upgrading my automatic game to a Helm Vanuatu in the near future.
Just yesterday, I noticed some things that seemed wrong. After unscrewing the crown and fully winding it, I began to set the time when I noticed that the seconds hand was stopping (something that only happens when it's not fully wound). It bothered me more for being a deviation of the norm than for being something I got an issue with.
Also, the crown's positions seem spongy and flimsy: when I'm in the date position with the slight touch it gets in the winding position.
Is there something wrong with it or nothing out of the ordinary?
Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
After unscrewing the crown and fully winding it, I began to set the time when I noticed that the seconds hand was stopping (something that only happens when it's not fully wound). It bothered me more for being a deviation of the norm than for being something I got an issue with.
Also, the crown's positions seem spongy and flimsy: when I'm in the date position with the slight touch it gets in the winding position.
Is there something wrong with it or nothing out of the ordinary?
Hard to say based on that description. Were you setting the hands backwards when the seconds hand stopped? That would be normal. Otherwise, it shouldn't stop in the hand setting position. It doesn't require much to get a Miyota 82xx from the date setting position to time setting, but there should be a small, noticeable click..

However, if the movement does what it should otherwise, I wouldn't really worry. The 82xx is a reliable tractor. If you can set it and it keeps time reasonably, I don't see a problem, really.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I was setting it backwards. Normally, when fully wound, it doesn't stop, but now it is, which I find strange.

Thanks for your response!

·
Registered
6,968 Posts
Yes, I was setting it backwards. Normally, when fully wound, it doesn't stop, but now it is, which I find strange.

Thanks for your response!
When you try moving the hands on a non-hacking movement backwards, you can stop the watch (or even make it run backwards). Some people use this as a "technique" for more accurate time setting, if you've ever heard the phrase "back hacking". Not great for the movement. You should really only turn the hands forwards on a non-hacking movement.

·
Registered
9,369 Posts
That doesn't mean anything. It's only a matter of which part has the stronger torque: the main spring barrel trying to advance the movement or the cannon pinion sliding on the minute pinion, trying to reverse the escapement while setting the hands backwards. And personally, I wouldn't worry about back-hacking either. Don't yank the hand backwards as fast as you can, but slowly turning them backwards should have no ill effects on the escapement at all. The seconds hand may even move backwards a bit, but even that is no problem as long as you're reasonably careful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts