Votes: 65 66.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Which movement would you prefer? Assuming that a watch with the ETA retails for about $150-$200 more than a watch with the Miyota?

What are your experiences in terms of accuracy with each movement?

Why do you prefer one over the other?

·
Registered
328 Posts
There was no option for indifferent, so I chose Miyota if I were to "[assume] that the ETA 2824 is $150-$200 more". I have watches with both movements and I like them equally. I have one ETA 2824 that is running about +2 sec/day and the Miyota 9015 runs about +1 sec/day (though with more positional variance).

I also do not believe that ETAs in boutique watches are grey market. My understanding is that it is only the ebauches that ETA has cutoff; complete movements are still sold to whoever wants them.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Is there a good list of divers using the 9015 or other 9000-series movements? I am very interested in checking this movement out.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Depends on the price point - if the watch is $1k or more I'd expect to see the 2824. If I was looking for a quality diver in the $500 price range I'd be happy with the 9015.

Reactions: Perseus

·
Registered
392 Posts
An ETA 2824 costs about 100-150 if you buy it brand new. I don't know about the 9015. I don't have a watching with the 9015 yet, I have on incoming so I can't speak about performance but my Stowa Seatime non-cosc keeps time at about +6 or +7 everyday. That means the movement is extremely accurate, only varying 1-2 seconds a day and could be regulated to +1 or +2 but Jorg decided to set it a bit fast so when it needs service in 5 years, it will be dead even or just a little slow.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Benarus Remora II will be out at the end of the year, I pre-ordered. A pretty neat diver if you ask me and they just decided to put in a sapphire crystal over the bezel insert.

Helson Tortuga also has 9015 but I don't really trust the company.

Is there a good list of divers using the 9015 or other 9000-series movements? I am very interested in checking this movement out.

·
Banned
4,512 Posts
Don't trust Helson? odd statement but to each his own, I have had only perfect experiences from them, the 9015 is a nice movement and shows great promise.
Benarus Remora II will be out at the end of the year, I pre-ordered. A pretty neat diver if you ask me and they just decided to put in a sapphire crystal over the bezel insert.

Helson Tortuga also has 9015 but I don't really trust the company.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Nothing against the 9015, but I'd prefer the 2824. Mainly this is based on the fact that the eta is a solid performer with a long history of reliability. Miyota mvts in general have good history, but I'll wait a year or two before I fully endorse the 9015- or until I learn a little more about the testing etc that demonstrates it's hardiness. I've no reason to doubt it, but if given the choice I still see the eta as a prefered product, though that may change in the future.

I also agree with the above statement that it depends on the price point, I have a sub $500 watch that was available with the m-8215 or eta-2824, and I chose the miyota as in this tool watch I didn't perceive it to be worth the extra money (about $150)

·
Registered
392 Posts
My only issue with the ETA are the concerns regarding handwinding the movement. I know some beleive it and some don't but I've heard from pretty legitimate sources that you at least shouldn't handwind it all the time.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
My only issue with the ETA are the concerns regarding handwinding the movement. I know some beleive it and some don't but I've heard from pretty legitimate sources that you at least shouldn't handwind it all the time.
Looks as if the "shake don't wind" advice for 2824 is not just an urban legend. This discussion over on the WUS German Watch forum uncovered a serious flaw in the ubiquitous ETA 2824-- it is just not designed to be regularly hand wound:
https://www.watchuseek.com/f8/shake-dont-wind-438851-2.html

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I have also heard the boutique = grey market ETA comment. I've heard the minimum order quantity for movements is 1,000, so if the boutique in question isn't making 1,000 watches, then likely they are going to a wholesaler to purchase thier movement. I would love to hear from an actual manufacturer on this as everything I have is only hear-say. My only concern about this is, while the wholesaler can be trustworthy, it is also easy to stamp "ETA" on a DG or NN movement and fool a bunch of people. I would hope that a boutique manufacturer would inspect their movements for authenticity.

I think with the Miyota you are less likely to see the potential for grey market / counterfeit movements, especially since it is a relatively new design.

Assuming movement authenticity wasn't a concern, then the only negative I can see for the Miyota is it only auto winds in the clockwise direction vs the ETA's ability to auto wind in both directions. I think I'd be OK with saving $150 knowing that was the feature I was losing.

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
In the end it would all come down to price for me, and to poster above who said a 2824 is only $150, well thats fine and dandy if we were just buying mov'ts but as consumers we are buying the entire watch to which we are at the mercy of the manufacturer. Some companies get well over $250+ to upgrade to an eta which is quite a chunk if were talking watches under 1k, and some even have the audacity to offer "chronometer" for an extra $300+ lol I was born at night but not last night is how I feel about that. So again will come down to price, I have a RedSea Holystone on pre-order that will be here sometime in july that has the 9015 so I will reserve judgement for now but so far all reports I have read are very positive...but lets face it in the end with my watch budget (1k max) I know I will never own any "special" in-house gold plated fancy mov't anyways so it doesn't really matter, all I want is decent timekeeping or easy to regulate, hackable, handwide, and a smooth (28.8bph) sweep and I'll be happy :-!

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
In the end it would all come down to price for me, and to poster above who said a 2824 is only $150, well thats fine and dandy if we were just buying mov'ts but as consumers we are buying the entire watch to which we are at the mercy of the manufacturer.
If you are refering to my post, I said I'd be happy saving the $150 to own the Miyota rather than the ETA. Just for point of reference, the 2824-2 ETA movement alone sells for $118 on Otto Frei. The Miyota 8215 price is $42, so I would think the 9015 is around $60

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Which movement would you prefer? Assuming that the ETA 2824 is $150-$200 more?

What are your experiences in terms of accuracy with each movement? Why do you prefer one over the other?

Does it bother anyone that the ETA is only available on the grey market?
Creating a pool with false statements is not a good start :think:

-An ETA cannot be $150-$200 more than a Miyota 9015, its bulk price is below $150.

-Comparing accuracy of mechanical movements is not interesting. An ETA 2824-2 can run -5, +1, +4, +8 or even +20 seconds per day,... Unlike Quartz movement, a mechanical movement requires fine adjustment by the watch company or the end user (or a third party laboratory like the Contrôle Officiel Suisse Des Chronomètres). The movement manufacturer only guarantee a more or less constant frequency and an average deviation. This is true for any mechanical movement, whether made in Switzerland, China, Russia or Japan. In fact, all mechanical movements, even from the same brand, are different. That's the beauty of it...

-ETA movement are NOT only available on the grey market. That's just false. Hundreds of watch companies are using ETA movement, coming straight from the ETA factories: Tag Heuer, Doxa, Stowa, Tissot, Tudor, Anonimo, Ball, Baume & Mercier, IWC, Hamilton, Bell&Ross, Alpina, Eterna, Omega, Sinn, Archimede, Victorinox, Breitling, etc, etc, etc,...

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
If you are refering to my post, I said I'd be happy saving the $150 to own the Miyota rather than the ETA. Just for point of reference, the 2824-2 ETA movement alone sells for $118 on Otto Frei. The Miyota 8215 price is $42, so I would think the 9015 is around $60
I remeber reading recently that demand is ramping up for the 9015 (effecting supply) so I would suspect the price would be closer to the $118 for that movement.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Creating a pool with false statements is not a good start :think:

-An ETA cannot be $150-$200 more than a Miyota 9015, its bulk price is below $150.

-Comparing accuracy of mechanical movements is not interesting. An ETA 2824-2 can run -5, +1, +4, +8 or even +20 seconds per day,... Unlike Quartz movement, a mechanical movement requires fine adjustment by the watch company or the end user (or a third party laboratory like the Contrôle Officiel Suisse Des Chronomètres). The movement manufacturer only guarantee a more or less constant frequency and an average deviation. This is true for any mechanical movement, whether made in Switzerland, China, Russia or Japan. In fact, all mechanical movements, even from the same brand, are different. That's the beauty of it...

-ETA movement are NOT only available on the grey market. That's just false. Hundreds of watch companies are using ETA movement, coming straight from the ETA factories: Tag Heuer, Doxa, Stowa, Tissot, Tudor, Anonimo, Ball, Baume & Mercier, IWC, Hamilton, Bell&Ross, Alpina, Eterna, Omega, Sinn, Archimede, Victorinox, Breitling, etc, etc, etc,...
Thank you for the information, I have edited my original post for the poll above.

·
Banned
10,224 Posts
I think the 2824 is slightly superior due to winding in both directions and micro-adjust regulator. The 9015 I own is very accurate, however (presumably regulated by the watch maker), and has no problems staying charged when worn, so I wouldn't pay much more for the ETA. As others have said, above say, US$1,000, I'd prefer the ETA.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
I like the Miyota, for the price you can't go wrong! I have a Bulova and a few Deep Blue Watches with it inside and they all keep good time!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I have had 2 9015....Remora and Tortuga. I have had nothing but good experiences with both. The one thing that I can tell you, though, is that I've noticed with the Tortuga that when you pull the crown out to sync the second hand, it tends to easily slip out of the hacking function. Like when I pull it out and start setting the minute hand, it will sometimes start the second hand back up. Not really a big deal, but I was wondering if anyone ever noticed that?

Otherwise, on both watches, the 9015 easily keeps as good time if not better than the 2824s I've owned.

·
Banned
4,512 Posts
I have noticed that too but I think its more from being a little to gentile when pulling the crown out but weighing that against the two failures I have experienced with the 2824 I think I would be more inclined to pay extra for the 9015 over it.
I have had 2 9015....Remora and Tortuga. I have had nothing but good experiences with both. The one thing that I can tell you, though, is that I've noticed with the Tortuga that when you pull the crown out to sync the second hand, it tends to easily slip out of the hacking function. Like when I pull it out and start setting the minute hand, it will sometimes start the second hand back up. Not really a big deal, but I was wondering if anyone ever noticed that?

Otherwise, on both watches, the 9015 easily keeps as good time if not better than the 2824s I've owned.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts