WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I did it, I modded my new GW-B5600-2ER to a positive display. The negative display was very cool and everything but it was hugely impractical for me. I couldn't really see the time except under fairly bright illumination.
Here's three photos of the modded watch, in daylight, in incandescent light and one in dark with the back light.

Watch Digital clock Stopwatch Clock Technology

Watch Stopwatch Watch accessory Dive computer Technology
Text Font Auto part Vehicle registration plate

The process is fairly simple, as you can guess the hardest part is removing the existing polarizing film from the LCD display without destroying the display. I took the sharpest crafts blade I could find and carefully tried to unglue the original filter. Although I was not as cautious as I could have been, it seems I was lucky and nothing was damaged.

I have not yet ordered any good polarizing film, the one I used came from an old phone. The hard part with a random polarizing film is getting the glue off of it and the cutting it correctly to size, properly oriented. So, in the photos, the film isn't even glued on the display, I just placed it on the screen and screwed the watch back down, I was really impatient to get this done :-d

One thing, the display has a yellow-greenish tint, I'm not sure if this is the film I used, I probably should order a piece of actually good polarizing film with adhesive.

I am grateful to this great community, all the inspiration for this attempt came from here, I am so in love with this watch.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is awesome...do you happen to have a photo at a low angle from 6 o'clock?
Thanks! Here are some I snapped today. I would like to have compared it to my SGW-100-1V which has BAD viewing angles but I did not have it with me at work:

Watch Wrist Dive computer Technology Hand
Watch Wrist Technology Hand Electronic device
Watch Gadget Wrist Technology Portable communications device

This is my only G-shock so I can't compare it to the performance of other displays but personally I am really happy with it. I imagine using a better polarizing film should produce even better results.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
looks awesome, but next time just buy another positive version, if possible

·
Registered
451 Posts
So I did it, I modded my new GW-B5600-2ER to a positive display.
OMG OMG OMG !!!!!
I've been looking for this.
I want to do this so so bad to my GW-B5600BC
It will make the watch the ultimate beater I think. And i can also then stop my search for a 5000

You are brave for doing this. I have to muster up the guts first, to do this.

Wish you had some more pictures, or even a video, of the process. The peeling off of the filter is what scares me the most.

Great great work !

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm looking to do this on a 5610 I got on a really good deal recently. If I buy polarizing film, anything specifically to shop for? Any good seller recommendations?

Any possibility of using heat from a hair dryer, or heat gun on low, to release the factory film intact enough that it could just be rotated?

·
Registered
36,363 Posts
Good job, looks great! Reminds me of my adventure modding the dark Kings

3 modded to positive Kings

Went for this LE positive B5600

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm looking to do this on a 5610 I got on a really good deal recently. If I buy polarizing film, anything specifically to shop for? Any good seller recommendations?

Any possibility of using heat from a hair dryer, or heat gun on low, to release the factory film intact enough that it could just be rotated?
Unfortunately, I haven't bought a film, the film I used came from an old digital instrument I found at work that I had permission to destroy. Taking off the film and cleaning it from the old glue was a lot of work so buying a new film is probably the least painful way to go. I have seen Polarization.com mentioned in this forum as a source of great film and probably that is where I'm buying mine from when the time comes, it just seemed a bit expensive at the time. People on youtube suggest that very cheap smartphone replacement film should be good enough and I did seem to get a good enough result by using a pretty average quality film myself.

I don't know about using heat, I haven't seen anyone doing it, though it sound reasonable enough. Keep in mind that you couldn't re-use your old film anyway, it's a rectangle and you have to rotate it by 90 degrees, so it wouldn't fit the screen anymore.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What are the advantages of modding the display over swapping in a different module? I just re-read the thread hoping to get a clue, and I came up empty.
The point is that I wanted this specific module (B5600) and I could only afford the negative display version. I thought I wouldn't mind the negative display so much but I did hence the mod.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts