WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My current model has hands that will glow for a while, but if I am driving or at the movies, I can see them say after an hour. Am if I am driving I don't want to take my hand of the wheel to hit the light.also the light basically just lights up the digital display, not the whole face.

Are there any gs that can do what I want?

sent using tapatalk

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I'm far from an expert on ana-digi G's, but from everything I've read here in the past couple of years, the only G's with hands that will glow for a long time are the custom ones that brave people with steady hands have taken apart and re-lumed themselves.

A lot of other people complain about the lack of LCD legibility on various models as well, probably because of the LED-type lights used in ana-digis. The "best" I've seen are quotes like "the G_-xxxx isn't AS hard to read in the dark as my G_-xxxx but it could be a lot better. I wish they'd use an electroluminescence panel on the LCD, like they do on all-digital models."

It sounds like we want the same things in an ana-digi, and that's why I still don't own one. :-d

·
Registered
281 Posts
the awgm100 models have full auto led, as mentioned the light only does the hands but it does it well and being amber, its not hard on the night eyes. the awgm100b is sweet imo, because its all blacked out with white hands and they jump out at you , day or night.

·
Registered
6,106 Posts
Most analog CASIO watches have mediocre lume longevity. I've read a number of posts about other watches where people have had the hands re-lumed. You could sacrifice having your watch for a couple of weeks and have it done. It's by no means cheap to do, but if you get a really great long lasting lume then it's ultimately worth it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Then I guess the next question to ask is, what watch are others using with ana-dig that is as rugged as the g, light wt, reasonable cost that has hands that have long luminous time?

Citizen, timex,?

I like my girlfriend, I just need to solve this problem.

Maybe need to post this general and not in the g section.

Sent using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
What model is your G-Shock? Usually current analog-digital G-Shock's have the auto el feature which will light up when you tilt the watch toward you. May be you should check out GA-1000. The lume is good. The light is even cooler. But the best clock to see when you are driving should be the one on the car dashboard or radio, IMO.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
There have been MR-G models with illuminated dials, I don´t know if they have the Auto-EL, though.
That being said, I want to add If you want nice, lasting lume you are either looking for a re-lume or for something else than Casio. Seiko is known for great lume, for example.
If you want good lume always, you might want to look into Tritium equipped watches - There is no need to 2charge" the lume with light, the light is produced in the little glass vials.

concerning a relume, look here for example:

http://www.google.de/imgres?client=firefox-a&hs=dTx&sa=X&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&biw=1440&bih=717&tbm=isch&tbnid=eKDq4OQFjW76KM:&imgrefurl=http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/hidden-gem-aq-s810-budget-model-review-711129-5.html&docid=rRFMMbCgwzaTtM&imgurl=http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z141/segretg/tc11-1.jpg&w=645&h=447&ei=iBxZUujCO8Gc0AXx2oDADA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=424&vpy=340&dur=924&hovh=187&hovw=270&tx=137&ty=107&page=1&tbnh=137&tbnw=198&start=0&ndsp=33&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0,i:112

On page 5 Angelo shows a relumed and Sapphire equipped AQS-810.
On his Youtube channel and homepage you can find some blindingly bright relumes.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks. Don't want to relume, could you recommend any sieko or tritium that are relatively rugged? They don't have to meet crazy specs, just want light weight, waterproof etc

Sent using Tapatalk.

S

·
0 Posts
Thanks. Don't want to relume, could you recommend any sieko or tritium that are relatively rugged? They don't have to meet crazy specs, just want light weight, waterproof etc

Sent using Tapatalk.
Take a look at Reactor "Never Dark" for tough and good lume.
http://reactorwatch.com/index.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yE4kGXkwFM

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Thanks. Don't want to relume, could you recommend any sieko or tritium that are relatively rugged? They don't have to meet crazy specs, just want light weight, waterproof etc.
The way I'm reading that question above makes me want to point out that: tritium is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen, not a brand name like Seiko. ;-) As such, there are a lot of different watch companies that use small glass vials filled with tritium to provide illumination in watches -- I can think of brands such as Luminox, Traser, H3, Smith and Wesson and Uzi immediately, and I'm sure that you can find plenty of others mentioned in the Dive Watch sub-forum.

Most of those brands I listed above are water resistant to 200m, relatively rugged, and they come in a variety of case materials and prices, from resin to titanium.

The biggest advantage to tritium illumination is that the watch will glow brightly on its own, with no need to "charge" the lume with a bright light at night or before a dive.

The biggest downside to tritium that I've found is the way the illumination fades: the half-life of tritium is "only" 12 years, which means that when your watch is 10 to 15 years old (like two of mine) they won't glow nearly as brightly as when you first bought them! When I first bought mine in 2001 or 2002, each one would project as much light in a dark room as a DW-5600E -- which meant that looking at the dial to tell time was like looking at 16 tiny lightbulbs. Today they're nowhere near as bright, to the point where they're starting to become hard to read. I can send mine back to Luminox for new vials for "only" $90 each, but that's a lot more expensive and a lot more hassle than a new battery n a G-Shock, so I'm glad I only bought a resin version and a stainless version, and didn't spend the extra money for a titanium one.

The other downside to tritium is explaining how radioactivity works to paranoid people: "Yes, my watch IS technically radioactive, but it's not like the glow-in-the-dark paint on watch dials from the 1950's, either. Your grandfather was exposed to more radiation on a five minute walk on a sunny day than he was by wearing his watch 24/7 for a YEAR. With these new watches, the radiation from the decaying hydrogen can't even penetrate a piece of paper, let alone skin, or the glass and metal the watch is made of -- so they're a lot safer. The only danger is if someone manages to break the watch hard enough to crush those tiny vials, and then INHALES the vapor on purpose." :-d

·
Premium Member
8,207 Posts
My current model has hands that will glow for a while, but if I am driving or at the movies, I can see them say after an hour. Am if I am driving I don't want to take my hand of the wheel to hit the light.also the light basically just lights up the digital display, not the whole face.

Are there any gs that can do what I want?

sent using tapatalk
My GA-1000FC-1A has hands and hour markers that glow in the dark. It also has a very cool UV backlight - there are pics on this forum if you search on GA-1000. Maybe this would meet your needs?

Here is a link to some pics, although I don't have any of just the hands/hour markers glowing in the dark: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f17/new-ga1000fc-1a-892232.html

1 - 12 of 12 Posts