WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm mainly a mechanical watch guy, but I sometimes like digital watches. They're very practical and need zero care. I've had a Casio B640WB for a few years, and like its compact size, light weight, and zero worries nature. When all my mechanical watches are wound down and I'm in a rush to get out, it's easiest thing to grab. However, it's plastic case and hair pulling bracelet make it not very suitable for formal occasions.

I want a digital watch that's elegant enough to wear in a dressy environment. Something with a metal case and clean design. The Seiko SBPG series (SBPG001 and SBPG003) and Seiko SBFG series would satisfy my requirements perfectly, but unfortunately they've been discontinued. Back in the 1980s, many elegant digital watches were made, but they've become a rare thing today. I want a modern piece. I don't like smart watches - I don't want another gadget requiring frequent charging and giving me endless notifications. I want something that will last me decades.

The closest thing I could find today is the Pulsar PQ2011, but it's very bulky (47mm case diameter, 13.5mm thick). I want something much more discreet. Do any companies make something similar to the Seiko SBPG series today? Are there any new Seikos replacing the SBPG that I'm unaware of?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Well, you 're asking for something that simply does not exist.
Digital watches are 99.9% made of plastic. Metal cases are very rare. These rare exceptions are usually f...... huge and ugly.
Or they cost silly money (like seiko SBFG series, and they 're huge watches too).

I have only found this: https://www.watchuseek.com/f296/metal-case-last-2815434.html
(read till the end for links)

Recently i got the black version of this one too. Looks much better than the photos. It is a metal (plated brass) case but i do not recommend it as it has rather poor readability: Retro series

·
Registered
450 Posts
As we all know, digital watches out-last most other watches, I had a Solar Atomic ProTrek for years, they just work, but similar to the OP's needs, i'm not keen on the rugged looks. I could not find a classy looking digital either, some of the G-Shocks designs are awful! But I came across a Tissot Solar Expert its very good, but very expensive for a Quartz watch, its the closest fit to your requirement.

Some of the newer ProTreks PRW-7000 have a more refined look but still a little bulky.

This opens a massive opportunity for us WUS member to start a new project, an elegant digital watch:
- costs less then an auto watch
- less maintenance
- elagant
- lasts potentially a lifetime!

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,777 Posts
As we all know, digital watches out-last most other watches, I had a Solar Atomic ProTrek for years, they just work, but similar to the OP's needs, i'm not keen on the rugged looks. I could not find a classy looking digital either, some of the G-Shocks designs are awful! But I came across a Tissot Solar Expert its very good, but very expensive for a Quartz watch, its the closest fit to your requirement.

Some of the newer ProTreks PRW-7000 have a more refined look but still a little bulky.

This opens a massive opportunity for us WUS member to start a new project, an elegant digital watch:
- costs less then an auto watch
- less maintenance
- elagant
- lasts potentially a lifetime!
Sure, if we could agree. Thermocompensated RF and/or GPS. Solar or multiyear battery. Selectable display fields.

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
I'm mainly a mechanical watch guy, but I sometimes like digital watches. They're very practical and need zero care. I've had a Casio B640WB for a few years, and like its compact size, light weight, and zero worries nature. When all my mechanical watches are wound down and I'm in a rush to get out, it's easiest thing to grab. However, it's plastic case and hair pulling bracelet make it not very suitable for formal occasions.

I want a digital watch that's elegant enough to wear in a dressy environment. Something with a metal case and clean design. The Seiko SBPG series (SBPG001 and SBPG003) and Seiko SBFG series would satisfy my requirements perfectly, but unfortunately they've been discontinued. Back in the 1980s, many elegant digital watches were made, but they've become a rare thing today. I want a modern piece. I don't like smart watches - I don't want another gadget requiring frequent charging and giving me endless notifications. I want something that will last me decades.

The closest thing I could find today is the Pulsar PQ2011, but it's very bulky (47mm case diameter, 13.5mm thick). I want something much more discreet. Do any companies make something similar to the Seiko SBPG series today? Are there any new Seikos replacing the SBPG that I'm unaware of?
Probably the most elegant digital watch in production is the G shock GW5000, it does have a metal case (tough you can't see it), can be purchased with a combi bracelet and the color pattern makes it look good with formal or smart casual dress code.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Seiko offers their STP series...Amazon and Jomashop have several variants...here are the 013 and 015 models. They appear to use the same modules as some Pulsars, but the Seiko is in a slightly smaller case, about 43mm.

Seiko STP013.jpg

Seiko STP015.jpg

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I'm with you OP... would love a classic 70/80's style and sized metal cased casio/Seiko/pulsar

Bought a few casio re-issues that looked great until the chrome paint wears to the grey plastic in daily use.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
There are a few of these on the auction at this time, modern, elegant, check and check.

s-l160014T8ERLT.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

They aren't cheap but then they don't look cheap either, if I were after a digital I'd have one of those.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts