WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a couple bezel insert swaps, and painted shrouds. What else has been done? Show your tuna with mods.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
SBBN025 with 013 crown. Not a fan of the spray painted cartoon "X". And thank God it wasn't on the dial. Huge fan of the 025's upgraded new lume, 3D dial, blacked out date window, etc. The classic crown makes this a "best of both worlds" Darth...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I think this is more a change of clothes than a modification as it's easily reversable by just screwing it off - Taobao brushed shroud fitted in place of the SBBN033's polished one:
P3300018_rsz.jpg

This is definitely a modification, Crystal Times sapphire crystal:
P1170372_rsz.jpg

Then something more subtle, a cast in "S" logo crown in place of the laser engraved "X":
P3300016_rsz.jpg

And another subtle one, a better quality buckle to replace the plain and cheaper looking original on the silicone strap:
Side by side_rsz.jpg

Not a modification as such but a change from the watch "as delivered" - a Strapcode End Mill bracelet fitted with a Marinemaster clasp (I rarely wear this, the Tuna is just a plain rubber strap sort of watch):
P2050005_rsz.jpg

Finally, probably the most subtle of all the changes, the original spring bars, although nothing wrong with them, were replaced with shoulder-less ones made for Seiko watches by Toxic Natos. These are used where the watch attaches to the rubber strap or the bracelet. The new buckle on the rubber strap was attached using a Marathon shoulder-less spring bar. The Marinemaster clasp was attached to the End Mill bracelet with Marathon shoulder-less spring bars. I like them because they penetrate deeper into the lugs or fully through the buckle or clasp depending where they're used. All new spring bars were soaked in silicone oil prior to fitting to try help the internal spring from corroding in sea water.

Below isn't a comparison of spring bars from the Tuna specifically but it shows how much longer the end pieces are on shoulder-less bars compared to "standard" ones. Both of the below spring bars are for the same 20mm lugs:
Side by side_rsz.jpg
Penetration 2_rsz.jpg

If you pay close attention to the spring bars in the image above showing the new "S" crown you can see the spring bar penetrating almost fully through the lug. Similarly, in the image of the new buckle you can see the spring bar protrude about 0.1mm out the other side of the buckle. Again, check out the Marinemaster clasp for the same thing, they protrude further out in this instance but it's not a problem on the wrist. All this probably makes no difference but it's the most expensive watch I own so if nothing else it makes me feel a bit better! I think it's a trait of most people that are into watches, silly attention to tiny little details.

Overall, despite the changes my watch still doesn't look "modded".

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have to mildly object to the premise of this thread. Modify perhaps the most distinctive dive watch in the industry? Heresy I say.
While I normally agree with Narc'd. Nooooooooooo.
SBBN033 is perfect as it comes from the factory....excepting of course adios-ing the factory strap.

The mantra of Tune owners should be....
You Can Tune a Piano, but You Can't Tuna Fish...or rather, shouldn't tune-a fish. ;-)

Mona Lisa should never be photoshopped.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The polished shroud would be my first mod/swap on the 033 - overall a masterfully tuned tuna Narc'd! I'm going to have to look into those spring bars

·
Registered
233 Posts
You are a good guy Narc'd. Cheers brother. Art is in the eye of the beholder. I am not a big believer in modding watches. Modding a Tuna, particularly with all the great different models that offer something for everybody, is like modifying a Rolex or Omega. I believe with all the great models available, buy the distinctive watch that fits a sense of aesthetic and let the design speak. To me, the designers by and large get it better than the public. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Not so with the designers of the cartoon "X" spray-painted onto the new crown. The signed crown of the previous generation is objectively far better.

..the designers by and large get it better than the public.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Not so with the designers of the cartoon "X" spray-painted onto the new crown. The signed crown of the previous generation is objectively far better.
Doesn't X mark the spot? ;-)
I quite honestly don't focus on that level of minutia. I never look at the end of the crown. Instead, I bask in the overall beauty of the design...the balance of its shape and contrast of tones.
I just haven't seen a modded Tuna I prefer to other versions out there. There is quite a variety of Tunas to choose from and each are distinctive and of course preference is in the eye of the beholder. I prefer the 033 for example to the 017 and other 300m variants. I prefer 300m variants to the 1000m variants because of size and I prefer a quartz movement.
Maybe if Narc'd went back to the polished shroud and kept the S on the crown. ;-)

·
Registered
233 Posts
X marks the spot of a failed marketing scam.
Point is the X while not flattering doesn't desecrate the watch. If it does detract and lets agree it does, its distraction is so modest, that it doesn't matter. The X is indistinguishable noise....nebula. The Tuna is still a supermodel...you just don't precisely agree with how all the makeup is applied. Pretty typical in any design.

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
I have a bone stock 017 right now but I like to add Andy Stockley's torx screws and a sapphire as a functional upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
We'll agree to disagree. I won't own a Seiko with a cartoon "X" spray painted on the dial or anywhere else. Cheap. Inauthentic. Tacky. On and on.

Point is the X while not flattering doesn't desecrate the watch. If it does detract and lets agree it does, its distraction is so modest, that it doesn't matter. The X is indistinguishable noise....nebula. The Tuna is still a supermodel...you just don't precisely agree with how all the makeup is applied. Pretty typical in any design.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Looker.

This should get the purists going. 7549-7010 with a 6309 auto movement. Dial from unknown golden tuna, MM300 style hands, yobokies insert and bronze shroud. Nothing's sacred.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts