WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my new Seiko SKA371P1 divers watch yesterday. Not had a chance to wear it yet. I need to modify the bracelet. I have done this loads of times before on other watches but this is the first time I have come across the pin/collar system.

After struggling for ages and not understanding why pins were just falling out. I discovered the collars on the towel I was using to protect watch from surface! (lucky I didn't lose them) I googled and found the following diagram in the post below.

https://www.watchuseek.com/f21/pins-collars-ska371-bracelet-help-412229.html#post3084857

I tried reinserting pin with collar in center of link as in the diagram and ended up bending the pin!

I then looked for a video on youtube and found this

Now before I try this, these methods obviously conflict. I realize this was for a monster so maybe this pin/collar system varies?

One says pins are same width all along it's length, one says it is slimer one end.
One says insert the collar into the center of the link and push the pin through (this is how I bent pin)
One says put pin in, then push collar into one end with a pen to lock it in place.

Before I try again, which is the correct method for the SKA371P1 strap?

additional question does the deployment clasp adjusters and the strap/lug pins just use standard spring bars?

·
Registered
6,894 Posts
The monster and your BFK use different pin/collar systems. The monster has one end that is bigger, while your BFK uses a pin with a consistent diameter. Your BFK has links, and the link is made to hold the collar in one place, then you push the pin through it, and the collar stays because the next link keeps it there.

If you bent the pin, you can probably straighten it enough to use. Make sure when reinserting, you are inserting the pin in the reverse direction of the arrows on the links. And, while doing this, look from above while pushing down on the pin with the bracelet from the side. You can see into the small hole, and you can line up the pin with the rest of the hole before putting much effort, preventing the bending.

These are great systems for link retention, it just takes some time and practice to get used to them the first time.

About the extra questions. The bracelet is held onto the watch head with "fat" springbars which are much sturdier and bigger than standard ones. The clasp adjusters and deployment pins use smaller versions of springbars, which might be closer to a normal springbar of the same purpose, but I bet they are sturdier...i've never bother comparing them though.

·
Premium Member
75,180 Posts
Seiko use a couple of pin and collar systems and like an oaf I can't remeber which one the BFK uses but Topher seems to have it nailed. The system is a bit of a PITA but works well. You shouldn't have to apply too much force to the pin - just make sure the links are aligned properly as I find that causes more hassle than the collars do.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

Got the bracelet modified. Thanks for the advice. You are correct, once you know what is going on, the pin\collar system works very well. Only been on the wrist for 24 hours so too early to give a full review. But first impressions are Wow! You get a lot of watch technology and pedigree for your 144 UK Pounds (creation watches)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.