WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, this is the first time I post anything here.
I was hoping someone here could help me obtaining some information on a watch I baught in Cairo today.

On the dial it says "Tramway Watch" and "O.Dusonchet Cairo"
When you open it there is an inscription and some illustrations.
The inscription says:
GRAND PRIX
Berne 1914-Barcelone
Membre Du Jury
Milan 1906
HORS CONCOURS

On the inside it says: Moeris, Swiss made, Non Magnetic, 15 Jewels and 19A

I am confused with all the different dates. Does anyone know when it could be from or anything else about it?

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
Hi -

First of all, welcome aboard, glad to have you here!

Second, it *always* helps if you have pictures! We don't know if it's a pocketwatch, a wristwatch or something else entirely. :)

Moeris is one of the "lost" Swiss brands, founded in 1893 by Moeri & Jeanneret, in St. Imier, Switzerland. I've only seen a few of their military watches. They specialized in stop watches and chronographs, and were unusual in that they, in 1956, provided ebauches to Seiko and Citizen! Around 1970 they were acquired by Tissot, there continues to be a "Moeris Department" at Tissot.

It sounds like your watch was probably made for a Cairo jewelry/watch shop. The dates on the watch probably refer to prizes won at industrial competitions, not unusual for a very much older watch to be marked with. The "19A" doesn't mean anything to me unless it is the calibre size, i.e. 19 lignes, which would be a pocket watch size...

JohnF

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi again,

thanks for the quick reply and the information on Moeris. Yes, it is a pocket watch. I'll add some pictures later if I can work out how to upload pictures on the forum.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Here is three pictures. They aren't great because the lighting is pritty bad here now. Hopefully you can get an impression of the watch though. I have no idea how rare or interesting it is. I liked it though, and it was only 15 pounds.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
I can't see the dial that well, but the fact that a prize was mentioned in a 1929 exhibition would mean that the earliest it would date from is the 1930s. 15 jewel Swiss movements were quite common back then.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
ranfft lists several Moeris movements including a 42.05mm 19B (but not a 19A)

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Moeris_19B

The 19B looks like a similar going train layout but your photos show a completely different winding gear arrangement (one I haven't seen before, but I don't collect packet watches so it might not be a big deal)

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
would you please tell me where you got it in Egypt?
You may need to message the OP your question... as they have not posted since Dec 2006!! Hopefully message will get forwarded to a current email.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys I have similar one , working / serial number 1155 , got from Cairo , I do have around 7 different moeris pocket watches .... Can you help me to clarify how much it worth ?
Thanx in advance

·
Registered
7,743 Posts
Hi there.

We'd love to see pictures of your watches - but we don't attempt valuations in this forum - please see the stickies for reasons.;-)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts