WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After picking up that 1940's Movado a couple of weeks ago and becoming completely enamored with Movados I went in search of more - and found this.........

The seller thought it was from the early 60's, but I thought it was much older. It has the 95 movement. Can't take off the back right now, but will later. The model is a Sub Sea Chronograph. Any idea ladies and gentlemen how old it is? Serial number on the bezel matches the number on the inside of the caseback. It's a very sweet watch and I love the dial color, which is a light silver.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I am far away from being an expert, especially on wrist watches (verge watches my favorites). So I can only take a guess:

This Movado should be from the 1950ies with cal 95M, column-wheel chronograph (considered to be one of the most gorgeous movements ever). Taubert and Fils of Geneva could have made this steel case. If is has the 95M calibre, it is silver plated and was designed by Frederic Piquet especially for Movado.

If in good condition, Steely Mojo's watch is $$$+, but only if my guesses are correct, especially what concerns the movement inside.

So, please, open this watch and give us the pictures, don't dangle that carrot in front of us!!!

·
Banned
4,045 Posts
Very cool watch Mojo, have a look through this 1950's Movado catalogue.
If you don't find your watch, you may find some you like anyway!

VintageVixen.com Vintage Clothing Blog

Cheers, Bob.

Reactions: busmatt

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Judging only by design, I would say it was made in late 1950s. Early 1960s are also a possibility though.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very cool watch Mojo, have a look through this 1950's Movado catalogue.
If you don't find your watch, you may find some you like anyway!

VintageVixen.com Vintage Clothing Blog

Cheers, Bob.
Great catalog Bobbee - from 1946. What I have just discovered from various websites is that Movado changed the logo on the watches from simple lettering to the M over the wide V logo in the very early 50's. So unless this is a redial - and I don't think it is - the watch has to be pre-about 1952. I'll pop the back when I get home and take some pics. I looked at the movement when the seller opened it and it certainly is the 95M movement. Very pretty indeed.

·
Zenith Forum Co-moderator
17,901 Posts
Movado Cal. 95 considered to be one of the most gorgeous movements ever?! Well, I'd certainly prefer many Valjoux or Venus movements. (Or Zenith - Cal. 136, 146, 156, 166). The main issue I have with the Movado 95 is that it's modular so there is a plate covering all the bits of the main movement (particularly the balance, also the crown and mainspring gears). And the modular construction makes it a little thicker.

I am not sure whether "Sub Sea" was a model range but would like to point out that when Zenith cooperated with Movado, they introduced the designations "Surf" and "Sub Sea" for their watches to distinguish between splash proof and waterproof models. I presume that these designations were used before by Movado and that this ought to have been a waterproof model. Before you take a dip with it, I doubt that it still is, though.....

Hartmut Richter

·
Registered
3,333 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am far away from being an expert, especially on wrist watches (verge watches my favorites). So I can only take a guess:

This Movado should be from the 1950ies with cal 95M, column-wheel chronograph (considered to be one of the most gorgeous movements ever). Taubert and Fils of Geneva could have made this steel case. If is has the 95M calibre, it is silver plated and was designed by Frederic Piquet especially for Movado.

If in good condition, Steely Mojo's watch is $$$+, but only if my guesses are correct, especially what concerns the movement inside.

So, please, open this watch and give us the pictures, don't dangle that carrot in front of us!!!
OK, here's the carrot.........

Attachments

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My god the movement is stunning...

Sent from my SHV-E160K using Tapatalk
Not at all unattractive I think. And it's keeping amazing time - as opposed to really dull time. I set it to the 'computer clock' when I got it and it has only varied by four seconds in four days which I think is pretty damn good. Love this watch. I wear it to bed in lieu of a mistress. Did I really say that? No, but I wrote it. This is a fantastic watch. I would love to find another.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Movado Cal. 95 considered to be one of the most gorgeous movements ever?! Well, I'd certainly prefer many Valjoux or Venus movements. (Or Zenith - Cal. 136, 146, 156, 166). The main issue I have with the Movado 95 is that it's modular so there is a plate covering all the bits of the main movement (particularly the balance, also the crown and mainspring gears). And the modular construction makes it a little thicker.

I am not sure whether "Sub Sea" was a model range but would like to point out that when Zenith cooperated with Movado, they introduced the designations "Surf" and "Sub Sea" for their watches to distinguish between splash proof and waterproof models. I presume that these designations were used before by Movado and that this ought to have been a waterproof model. Before you take a dip with it, I doubt that it still is, though.....

Hartmut Richter
Hartmut are you going to be working on it or admiring it? If the former then two watchmakers I have spoken to recently say that the modular nature of the 95M makes it a relative breeze to repair - something it doesn't need very often. If you are just looking at it then beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I do love the Valjoux movements of yesteryear, they are gorgeous, but I don't frequently open the case of my watches just to gaze in awe at the movements. I wear the mofo's, as I'm sure you do as well Helmut.

The Sub Sea was a Movado model range well before Zenith got involved. Looking at the massive and quite intact 'O' ring seal on this watch I might be tempted to at least take it into the local swimming pool. Oh maybe just the kids paddling pool.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Yes it is a Taubert and Fils case. See pics. It shows the FB stamp. Apparently they made cases for Patek Philippe and Vacheron. Pretty rarefied territory. I am so excited to have this watch. I am so glad I wear baggy pants.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
The 19038 is the model number. With this particular watch, you often have the serial number above the model number starting with 'A' and a six digit number, but I can't say that this is a general rule.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
4,297 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very funny to read that from You :D
Or are You just trolling? These dials are totally uncomparable. MOVADO font is totally wrong on Your's for a start. Subdials are terrible just like chrono second markers :)
Well it's incomparable and I just don't understand the rest of your banter old chap.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts