WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My husband was given this pocket watch as a gift, and we believe it's a Molnija. It was purchased in the Ukraine in approx. 2002, from "a guy who had a bunch of watches" (according to my father in law), so we didn't get a lot of information. Needless to say, we're curious! Is there anyone out there who can let us know any other info about it? We'd also like to know if it's worth much, or if it's more of a common device. Quick internet searches didn't yield anything.

This is engraved in the back: 3602 RU 376770

It looks like this is on the front on the small dial: Molnija 15 KAMHEN

Thanks so much!
2011-12-28 20.08.31.jpg 2011-12-28 20.09.26.jpg 2011-12-28 20.08.47.jpg 2011-12-28 20.09.04.jpg 2011-12-28 20.25.27.jpg

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
We don't give valuations here, sorry. That said it's a decent Russian made pocket watch, limited interest to collectors. Check eBay for completed sales of Molnija watches.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! Is there any way to find out when it was made based on the watch itself?
Sorry for asking if it was worth much - we were just looking for an opinion and nothing official. Didn't mean to offend.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Molnija stopped producing pocket watches in 2007. Your watch belonged to a series related to the religions of the world, there were watches with Christian, Muslim, Jewish and Buddhist themes. It looks like your watch does not have the proper dial and movement which should have Hebrew letters for numerals and the movement should wind and move counter clockwise.

·
Registered
61 Posts
As has already been said the watch is a post perestroika - the movement is stamped RU for Russia, not SU for Soviet Union. If the colour on your image is correct then the movement is brass, which puts it towards the end of production.

This is the correct dial.

IMGP2684.jpg

Examples crop up on ebay every now and again, prices vary wildly and authenticity is often in doubt.

Does your movement wind and run anti-clockwise ?

IMGP2681.jpg

IMGP2678.jpg

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
I have one of the backward-running ones. I can tell yours is "normal" because of the escape wheel and the click though, so probably the whole movement was transplanted. Here's mine; ignore the rodico holding the seconds bit on; I have to find a fourth wheel for this. Fortunately, the train wheels are the same between the versions.
DSC_8218.JPG DSC_8219.JPG

·
Registered
3,497 Posts
Nothing worthy to add, just a photo of my redialed Russian watch with a similar Molnija movement - - this one made in 1953.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts