WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1017926824/mongol-watch-company-classic-minimal-elegant-timep

Ran across this watch on kickstart and couldn't find a thread on it. I quite like the simple look of the watch and I think the current price of $89 is good. Unfortunately, in new to watches and can't tell a good movement from a bad movement so this watch could be complete crap and I just can't tell. Anyway, what does everyone think? (I'm not affiliated with this company in any way)

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431997863.789995.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431997886.529893.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1431997948.073158.jpg

Case Diameter with Crown: 43mm
Case Diameter without Crown: 40mm
Lug to Lug: 50mm
Case Thickness w/domed crystal: 11mm
Face Diameter: 39mm
Band Material: Genuine Leather Band
Band Width: 20mm
Band Thickness: 4mm
Total Weight: 43g
Case/Back Plating: 316 Stainless Steel / Anodized Steel.
Clasp: Standard Steel Buckle Clasp
Glass: Sapphire crystal (scratch resistant)
Display: Analog
Movement: Ronda 6004.d Swiss Quartz
Seconds Function: Small Seconds dial, Red hand
Water Resistant: 5 ATM / 50 Meters

Price: $89 (early bird special was $79)

·
Registered
58 Posts
They sure look nice, though readability could be complicated on the black dialed versions...

I must confess that where I´m from, Mongol has a bad connotation, relating to a "mentally retarded" person... That is a little hard to deal with, just like a Mitubishi Pajero cannot be sold at Spanish-speaking countries, since it means Mitsubishi Masturbator... They change it to Montero.

·
Premium Member
Something ordinary
14,853 Posts
Surprisingly low profit margin if those numbers are true, interesting approach

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Surprisingly low profit margin if those numbers are true, interesting approach
Yep, I think they're going to risk getting any profit eaten up by warranty service, customer service, kickstarter fees, marketing expenses, production expenses etc... but that may be their business plan (or they may not have a good business plan.)

I don't think they're going to make it up on volume either. Design-wise it's *fine* but these minimalist watches are very faddish *especially* on Kickstarter. I've probably seen two dozen in the last two years, all sort of looking similar after a while. If Kickstarter weren't tired of these and they sold a Daniel Wellington clone for 1/3 the price then maybe they'd sell hundred. They're just too late to the party at this point to sell lots and lots of them.

They sure look nice, though readability could be complicated on the black dialed versions...

I must confess that where I´m from, Mongol has a bad connotation, relating to a "mentally retarded" person... That is a little hard to deal with, just like a Mitubishi Pajero cannot be sold at Spanish-speaking countries, since it means Mitsubishi Masturbator... They change it to Montero.
Oddly enough, the same is true in both cases here in the US. Not only is Mongoloid a highly offensive word, the Mitsubishi Pajero was sold as the Montero here as well...

Reactions: idkfa

·
Banned
2,835 Posts
Yep, I think they're going to risk getting any profit eaten up by warranty service, customer service, kickstarter fees, marketing expenses, production expenses etc... but that may be their business plan (or they may not have a good business plan.)

I don't think they're going to make it up on volume either. Design-wise it's *fine* but these minimalist watches are very faddish *especially* on Kickstarter. I've probably seen two dozen in the last two years, all sort of looking similar after a while. If Kickstarter weren't tired of these and they sold a Daniel Wellington clone for 1/3 the price then maybe they'd sell hundred. They're just too late to the party at this point to sell lots and lots of them.

Oddly enough, the same is true in both cases here in the US. Not only is Mongoloid a highly offensive word, the Mitsubishi Pajero was sold as the Montero here as well...
Especially for those that dont know that "Mongoloid" means a racial type along with caucasoid and negroid. Political correctness and ignorance is a terrible combination. Every word is offensive to somebody it seems.

Mongoloid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reactions: Jtragic

·
Registered
453 Posts
Mongol, as in people of Mongolia. It's an actual ethnic group. I'd assume that's the heritage the brand owners allude to on the kickstarter page.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Wow, that cost breakdown graphics is interesting, a lot of transparency if it is true.

Watches look a bit "plain", same goes for the logo, but thats not nessisarily a bad thing for a dress watch. The red second hand is a nice touch, if they went with silver/no seconds hand it would have a tough time standing out from the crowd. No gripes on the price either, given the sapphire crystal and all.

I must confess that where I´m from, Mongol has a bad connotation, relating to a "mentally retarded" person.
The term "Mongoloid" here has the same connotation. It's not very commonly used by people around my age (mid 20s), more something my father or grandfather would say. Mongol to me means someone from Mongolia, I would guess that the brand owner is a Mongolian.

·
Registered
5,219 Posts
"Anyway, what does everyone think?"

Well, political correctness be damned, the first connotation I think of with the name "Mongol" is Genghis Khan. So, I expected a more bad-ass watch rather than a polite watch. Though, it is nice looking.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looks like the project was just cancelled.

I believe it will be back.

Hey Everyone, Thank you so much for all that you have done to support this project!
Last update we sent out, we informed you all about the issue that we were facing and asked for your opinions and suggestions. Several of you reached out to us and gave us some very valuable feedback and with all taken into account, we have come to a decision.
As much as we like and respect the name MONGOL, we have decided to change it to avoid any future association with the derogatory connotations it brings. We are changing the name toMUGHAL after the Mughal Empire and we have already began the sample making with the new company name. The logo will more or less remain the same.
We are also making slight updates to the watch itself as well after some feedback. The length of the lugs is being reduced by 2mm to reduce the excess gap between the case and the strap.
While photographing the watches, we realized the need for an anti reflective glass and we will be incorporating that into the new samples. The domed sapphire glass will be anti reflective.
Furthermore, we are trying to incorporate a Swiss Automatic movement option for those who prefer an Automatic watch instead of a Quartz watch. We received numerous request for an automatic version and it would be a crime if we didn't do it now that we have been given a second chance.
With all that said, we are regretful to be removing this project off of Kickstarter but we are going to take this opportunity to improve some flaws and make this project better and more worthy of your support. Updating the project and restarting will give us the opportunity to reach it's full potential.
Once the samples are complete, we will remake the video and update the Kickstarter project as quickly as possible and relaunch it. If you'd like to be notified when we launch again, please send us your email address and we'll send you a personal email letting you know.
Again, we'd like to thank you all for the support and the opportunity to make this project better. We hope that you will back us once we return in a very short period and together we will make this project a successful one this time around.
Thanks!
Kashif

...nice to take into consideration the suggestions for change, though!

"Anyway, what does everyone think?"

Well, political correctness be damned, the first connotation I think of with the name "Mongol" is Genghis Khan. So, I expected a more bad-ass watch rather than a polite watch. Though, it is nice looking.

Yeah, well, it all depends on your background.

Let´s say someone from the suburbs of Buenos Aires decides to make their own (minimalist?) watch and name his brand after his hometown...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morón,_Buenos_Aires

How about sporting MORON at your wrist?? :D

Heck, I´d have to drive a Mitsubishi Wanker around as a combo, I guess, LOL!!!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Exactly the reason I thought of a brand name that's fairly unique and easy to come up in Google searches.

I'd rather they use Mogul than a strange word like Mughal which doesn't ring in people's heads

·
Registered
58 Posts
Exactly the reason I thought of a brand name that's fairly unique and easy to come up in Google searches.

I'd rather they use Mogul than a strange word like Mughal which doesn't ring in people's heads

Again, it depends where you are from...

At the very least, 1.3 billion people in the world would probably disagree with you about Mughal not ringing any bells, but yes, I do agree it could be a better name.

If Mongolian references are important, perhaps I´d go with TIMUR or KHAN, but then, again, I´m not the one deciding, nor very knowledgeable about Mongol history and culture.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Again, it depends where you are from...

At the very least, 1.3 billion people in the world would probably disagree with you about Mughal not ringing any bells, but yes, I do agree it could be a better name.

If Mongolian references are important, perhaps I´d go with TIMUR or KHAN, but then, again, I´m not the one deciding, nor very knowledgeable about Mongol history and culture.

But we're talking about Kickstarter here. 1.3 billion don't mean anything if they're not the ones going to KS pledging, casual or otherwise.

Well it's their branding, so leave it at that

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Especially for those that dont know that "Mongoloid" means a racial type along with caucasoid and negroid. Political correctness and ignorance is a terrible combination. Every word is offensive to somebody it seems.

Mongoloid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well, said article reads "Although some forensic anthropologists and other scientists continue to use the term in some contexts (such as criminal justice), the term mongoloid is now considered derogatory by most anthropologists due to its association with disputed typological models of racial classification." It's a riddle to me why so many people still use a highly disputed race classification system that was common sense in 1890.

·
Registered
41 Posts
What an interesting graphic.
very interesting indeed! If only I hadn't seen it before..... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/627698696/havok-disrupting-luxury-watches/description and https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/deviatewatches/deviate-watches-disrupt-the-standard?ref=discovery and https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1608352653/philip-ashton-dayhatch-collection-watches and https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hunterhorology/hunter-horology-the-last-watch-you-need-to-buy/description And these are ones I remember. I don't know if its people adopting the same template (look at how similar all those pages are with titles like, our journey, our solution, pictures showing watch designs and unassembled watch parts, the pricing graphic and how they are all "a diverse group of young entrepreneurs" etc.) for their projects - at least I hope that's the case - or its just someone repeatedly exploiting the gullibility of a typical Kickstarter watch buyer.

·
Registered
8,172 Posts

Mongols - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
15,491 Posts
Wow, that cost breakdown graphics is interesting, a lot of transparency if it is true.

Watches look a bit "plain", same goes for the logo, but thats not nessisarily a bad thing for a dress watch. The red second hand is a nice touch, if they went with silver/no seconds hand it would have a tough time standing out from the crowd. No gripes on the price either, given the sapphire crystal and all.

The term "Mongoloid" here has the same connotation. It's not very commonly used by people around my age (mid 20s), more something my father or grandfather would say. Mongol to me means someone from Mongolia, I would guess that the brand owner is a Mongolian.
No no no. Mongo, or mong, refers to someone with Downes Syndrome due to the epicanthic folds.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts