WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
15,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I see this "question" pop up every now and then. Quite a lot actually.
What drives people to imagine such desperate scenarios?
Are we not drowning / wallowing / steeping / luxuriating in an excess of watch choices?
Isn't that what's so wonderful (and horrifying!) about this hobby? :-!

So, wassup with this quasi-apocalytic, post-armageddon, and dare I say "monotheistic"... obsession with THE ONE? :think:

And why is this done only with watches, and not with, say, food?
"What if you could only eat ONE KIND OF VEGETABLE / PIZZA / MEAT ? What would it be?"
See how absurd it sounds? :-x

Do watches somehow lend themselves to desperate "desert island" scenarios in a way that other things don't?

OK, gonna do a fade out (like a song):

What if you could have only one screwdriver?
What if you could have only one bottle of glue?
What if you could have only one spoon?
What if you could have only one roll of toilet paper?
What if you could have only one style of hair?
What if you could have only one finger?

lalalala

·
Registered
10,228 Posts
It's just a hypothetical that forces people to make a choice...it's less the plausibility of the hypothetical, and more its ability to convey a complex set of circumstances in a simple way, such as the importance of one watch being good for the broadest array of situations, which one is the favorite aesthetically and horologically, what features they cherish over others and so on.

·
Registered
15,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's just a hypothetical that forces people to make a choice...it's less the plausibility of the hypothetical, and more its ability to convey a complex set of circumstances in a simple way, such as the importance of one watch being good for the broadest array of situations, which one is the favorite aesthetically and horologically, what features they cherish over others and so on.
Right-o. But do you not find the very premise of this hypothetical absurd?
I do - for all sorts of reasons - including the pointlessness / impossibility of reaching a decision in any rational way, or in a manner that will really BE decisive and final in any meaningful way - but especially for the grim, quasi-moral aspect hidden within it, as if one were "marrying" a watch.

To me it sounds like "Sophie's Choice" kinda thing.
I do that with my wife and she hates it: We have 2 cats, and I tell her the house is on fire, the cats are at two opposite ends of the house, and she has only just enough time to save ONE cat. Which one?
Gawd, she hates it!
I can be a cruel turd like that sometimes. :-!

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
I see this "question" pop up every now and then. Quite a lot actually.
What drives people to imagine such desperate scenarios?
Are we not drowning / wallowing / steeping / luxuriating in an excess of watch choices?
Isn't that what's so wonderful (and horrifying!) about this hobby? :-!

So, wassup with this quasi-apocalytic, post-armageddon, and dare I say "monotheistic"... obsession with THE ONE? :think:

And why is this done only with watches, and not with, say, food?
"What if you could only eat ONE KIND OF VEGETABLE / PIZZA / MEAT ? What would it be?"
See how absurd it sounds? :-x

Do watches somehow lend themselves to desperate "desert island" scenarios in a way that other things don't?

OK, gonna do a fade out (like a song):

What if you could have only one screwdriver?
What if you could have only one bottle of glue?
What if you could have only one spoon?
What if you could have only one roll of toilet paper?
What if you could have only one style of hair?
What if you could have only one finger?

lalalala
Vegetable: potato. Pizza: Pizza Express's Calabrese - spicy, meaty, cheesy. Meat: chicken for versatility. Screwdriver: cross-head as it can unscrew Phillips but not vice versa. Glue: superglue. Toilet paper: Andrex quilted. Hair: what I currently have! Finger: index.

Why did I answer? Because its fun!

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Your pizza violates your one meat and vegetable.
Potato is not considered one of your five a day and so sort of doesn't really count as a vegetable.

Vegetable: potato. Pizza: Pizza Express's Calabrese - spicy, meaty, cheesy. Meat: chicken for versatility.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
They're separate questions. And if potato isn't a vegetable then what the hell is it?!
It's a vegetable.

"Vegetable" is actually a fairly generic term for any edible portion of a plant. Beyond the loosely defined (and oft-broken) rules of what constitutes a fruit, pretty much anything goes. A cucumber is a vegetable, for instance... But a cucumber has more fruit-like properties (read: germinating seeds) than the average banana you'll find in the supermarket.

·
Registered
12,033 Posts
Don't ask me, just saying that they don't count towards your recommend five a day.
I did a one month challenge to do five a day, every day and was more than a little annoyed at that.

They're separate questions. And if potato isn't a vegetable then what the hell is it?!

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
Don't ask me, just saying that they don't count towards your recommend five a day.
I did a one month challenge to do five a day, every day and was more than a little annoyed at that.
It's the worst vegetable for you but its the best! Chips, roasties, rosti, mash...

Of the 5 a day I'd take mushrooms.

It's a legume! Or a marsupial!
Dincha go to school, boa?
I went to school homeboy, didn't much like it though so left at 16. Maybe they taught vegetable classification at 17.

·
Registered
23,771 Posts
I think potatoes get a bad press, It's true they are more of a starchy carbo like rice than a veggie like celery but they do have lots of Vitamins C and B. If you leave the skin on and consume it they also give you fiber.

Reactions: Janne

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
I do - for all sorts of reasons - including the pointlessness / impossibility of reaching a decision in any rational way, or in a manner that will really BE decisive and final in any meaningful way - but especially for the grim, quasi-moral aspect hidden within it, as if one were "marrying" a watch.

I do that with my wife and she hates it: We have 2 cats, and I tell her the house is on fire, the cats are at two opposite ends of the house, and she has only just enough time to save ONE cat. Which one?
Gawd, she hates it!
Not on topic (well sort of), but my parnter says that if the house was on fire and I could save him or my watches, I'd choose my watches. I of course proclaim his craziness, but um....uh.....I'm not so sure he's wrong.......LOL

Reactions: Chronopolis

·
Banned
4,999 Posts

Gawd, she hates it!
As a person that tried to keep the watch madness under control(which we all know doesn't work) I would go on a single watch flipping spree because there just isn't a way for one watch to tick all the boxes. As goofy as it sounds, if I could have bought a Blancpain 50 Fathoms I would still have the urge to buy a $200 Seiko. Having one watch and forcing yourself to be a one watch person ends in a scenario where you to sit on the Internet for hours on end contemplating which watch is the better "one" watch. It is much more calming to just save for another watch and not put the current watch on the chopping block. I'm now fighting to keep myself from buying every sub-$500 Seiko I like.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts