WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
I love this mod! :-! But why all the teasing us about whether it is available to us??!! :-s Please let us know!

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
Why not start with a SRP227?
Don´t you think is a better idea?
Is less work, just make a SS copy of the plastic shroud, whit the plus of the new movement.
This. I picked up an SRP227 recently. I love it and have been wearing it about as much as my SKX. I've yet to remove the shroud from it (I don't have an hex that small). But I'd assume they could machine out a shroud for it. A smooth, armor-like Tuna-style shroud. I'd definitely be interested in that kind of option. I mean seriously, if people are machine-modding pre-existing watch models for the mod, a watch that's already shaped for a shroud should be a given!

Clearly there is tons of interest in this stuff. What else is needed?

·
Registered
611 Posts
This. I picked up an SRP227 recently. I love it and have been wearing it about as much as my SKX. I've yet to remove the shroud from it (I don't have an hex that small). But I'd assume they could machine out a shroud for it. A smooth, armor-like Tuna-style shroud. I'd definitely be interested in that kind of option. I mean seriously, if people are machine-modding pre-existing watch models for the mod, a watch that's already shaped for a shroud should be a given!

Clearly there is tons of interest in this stuff. What else is needed?
I'm not sure there's enough SRP227 owners on the forum yet. I'd imagine you'd have to make a couple hundred of them to offer them at a good price.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
I'm not sure there's enough SRP227 owners on the forum yet. I'd imagine you'd have to make a couple hundred of them to offer them at a good price.
Of course, but aren't the ones pictured one-offs? What's more difficult, having someone send in thier watch to machine it + make unique shrouds for those, or simply making shrouds for a watch that's already built for them? Add the fact that the 'Sardine' as I hear they call it in the Philippines, is quite popular there...

·
Registered
31 Posts
Of course, but aren't the ones pictured one-offs? What's more difficult, having someone send in thier watch to machine it + make unique shrouds for those, or simply making shrouds for a watch that's already built for them? Add the fact that the 'Sardine' as I hear they call it in the Philippines, is quite popular there...
Agree. This is the weak point of any monster-tuna proyect.

I´m in the SRP227-tuna proyect (if it happens).

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Count me in, what a great looking and original mod for the monster. I own 3 and have been telling myself, no more monsters.
If this mod was ever made available, I'd be adding another monster to my collection for sure.

Great job and thanks so much for sharing, hope somone decides to do some mass production of this!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Bump. Interested!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Ok, I don't know how I missed this thread, but this is one awesome mod. Come on fellas someone needs to get an official poll going and possibly reach out to Jake B. and see if this project can be made possible at a decent price point. Maybe Dave from Murphy Manufacturing can be of some assistance as he makes some amazing custom bezels for mod work....(I don't know, just trying to brainstorm options here).

Jake B. are you listening---- Can this be done or is the cost going to be ridicules?!.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I thought I was pretty set with my watches, but damn it, yes I'd be in as well (depending on price of course).

I love the look of the Tuna, but the real thing is a bit too big for my wrist. But the Monster is perfect.

This would be such a great mod.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Come on fellas someone needs to get an official poll going and possibly reach out to Jake B. and see if this project can be made possible at a decent price point. Maybe Dave from Murphy Manufacturing can be of some assistance as he makes some amazing custom bezels for mod work....
Actually, this particular mod is not as simple as machining the SS shrouds ...... If you study the photos, there are a lot more requirements.
The watch casing will need to be machined down, especially the lugs, to accept the shroud, and also the sides of the case tapped for the threads of the screws. Quite a lot of work for each piece it looks like.

Regards,

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Actually, this particular mod is not as simple as machining the SS shrouds ...... If you study the photos, there are a lot more requirements.
The watch casing will need to be machined down, especially the lugs, to accept the shroud, and also the sides of the case tapped for the threads of the screws. Quite a lot of work for each piece it looks like.

Regards,
you are right, it's not as easy as it looks
the shroud is not plug and play

the monster's casing has to be modified using machine, and it took a lot of time and effort to make it fit the shroud, because everything has to be precised

·
Registered
611 Posts
you are right, it's not as easy as it looks
the shroud is not plug and play

the monster's casing has to be modified using machine, and it took a lot of time and effort to make it fit the shroud, because everything has to be precised
And if you were paying attention we were talking about doing this for the SRP227 (Sardine, Rubber Tuna) not the Monster.

·
Registered
7,206 Posts
And if you were paying attention we were talking about doing this for the SRP227 (Sardine, Rubber Tuna) not the Monster.
I'm certainly hoping it could be done for the new SRP-shroud models. I think the thread is still basing this on the one in the original pics... Until someone steps up and says they can do them for the rubber shroud model it's all just a hope and a dream for me haha. Even then if the cost of this thing is going to be crazy I might not be able to participate anyway! I just happen to think a metal shroud for this particular model WOULD sell in decent numbers (I believe I've heard that the watch is supposed to be really popular overseas), if it were simply a direct swap onto it. The notion of having to send along your monster for additional machining just sounds exhausting when considering the custom work involved.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts