WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 168 Posts

·
Registered
12,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With a few apt tweaks, Seiko has finally come up with the definitive Monster.

The previous generation's anime-like shark-tooth indices are replaced by more serious, trapezoidal markers, topped by a particularly strong 12 o'clock shield. Gone is the day-date window, to make way for a cleaner, Rolex-esque, magnified date-only indicator. Save for couple more details, everything else in the visual department seems to've been left well enough alone.

But, perhaps the biggest revision is the heart transplant: The 4R36 exits to make way for a 6R15, which even though not much different functionally, adds a good dose of cachet at the expense of a higher premium.

Introductory variants come in traditional Monster livery of black/silver SBDC025 and orange/silver SBDC023.

Slated for a Japan release this coming Friday, November 14, at a stratospheric MSRP of ¥64,800 (tax included) it should be available at a more palatable, but still pricey, ¥45,360 after the customary-in-Japan 30% retail discount.

SBDC023

SBDC025

·
Registered
8,702 Posts
Thanks for the update. It does look good. Shame about the cyclops, but the markers and upgraded movement are very positive.

Showing as $447 CDN from my favorite Rakuten shop. Pretty steep premium for the 6R15.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
A little pricey but it I like the fact that the date window on the black dial is reversed for a cleaner look. I hope they've improved the bracelet but I'm not holding my breath.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I totally dig the cyclops thank god they added this and "YES" some of us need it and use it. A dome sapphire would be nice and it's time Seiko offered a monster in case size 2mm bigger. The hands on the Black Monster look matt silver or there shiny not sure.

·
Registered
5,202 Posts
Definitely a less childish looking watch now.

I don't get all of the hate for a date magnifier. I can accept that feature with no problem. The fact that they can't figure out what sapphire crystal is is the real gripe.

The looks upgrade and the movement seems to justify the price for me. You're getting a nicely done in-house movement, great build quality, fantastic lume, and finally, some mature aesthetics for less than $450. An absolute bargain no question.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I like it but must agree with Teddyhanna a little bit bigger case would have been cool and a sapphire. I never understood Seiko they put sapphire crystals on some prospex models like the kinetic gmt but not the monster.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
This hybrid of a monster and a Sumo looks quite appealing... Quite pricey, too, I feel.

1 - 20 of 168 Posts