WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a couple of questions for those of you who own Monsters.

After reading some of the reviews over on Amazon (mostly positive), I noticed that several people complained about the accuracy of this watch, stating it's as much as 5 minutes off per day. Is this typical of the Monsters? I thought being a Seiko it would be pretty accurate, much more so than some other more expensive brands.

Second, is the metal band hard to size? One guy claimed he had to go to 3 shops to get it done, and another said he lost the little pins that hold the links together because they are two pieces and came apart when he took them out. I can't imagine it would be THAT hard to get sized or do yourself.

·
Banned
5,568 Posts
When I've worn mine I noticed that it can get as much as 1 to 1 1/2 minutes fast in only a days time :think:.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought my Black Monster from Amazon about 2 weeks ago. I've been wearing it for over 20 hours a day. So far it's around 5 seconds slow for the entire 2 week period.:-!:-!

I was so impressed that I bought the Orange Monster. But it's running 20 seconds fast per day. :-s

Anyway, amazon watches come delivered flopping around in their boxes. I don't think the employees care too much at all about what they're selling.

For sizing info follow the link from PMWF.

It took me about 20 min to perfectly size my bands after reading the instructions. I used a small/thin screw driver set and two plastic pens. No need for fancy tools. Just go slow and don't lose any little parts.

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
My Orange Monster is about +3.5 seconds per day, worn or resting, as long as it's kept wound. If a watch is running 5 minute off a day, something is seriously wrong. Look at the accuracy poll on here, just scroll down till you see the 7s26 accuracy poll. You'll see that most run somewhere between 5 and 20 seconds per day. That's well within their advertised spec. As far as the bracelet, you just have to find someone that knows Seiko's. I had mine sized by a long time shop, but in about 3 days the collar fell out and I almost lost the watch off my wrist. I got new collars and took it to a Seiko dealer and it's been fine for 3 months. The collar just needs to be seated more then flush with the link.
The Monsters are a Great value and well worth the money.
Regards Sonny

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the answers fellas! BulLdit, I ordered one from Amazon too, hope it doesn't get damaged in transit! I know what you mean about not packing very well, everything always comes like that from them, very loose with a couple of those air bag things.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
FYI:

The 7s26 is a great movement. It all depends. People say the Q/C is the same across the board---that's never true of anything---if this were the case, the movement would be keeping good time for all. Mine runs fast, but I need that extra bit.

The bracelet, if not adjusted correctly, can be your enemy. Many jewelers are not familiar with Seiko's pin/collar system, and don't see the tiny pins fall out (personal experience), and you now have a bracelet that has no collar supporting the pin, the pin will fall out, and your watch will fall off your wrist. The best thing to do is adjust it yourself.

Angelis

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
It sounds like the pin/collar system is the same as the BFK. It feels a lot more solid than the split pin system. I always end up breaking split pins if they are more than a year old.

I've got to say I like the black Monster. I'm not into the orange and until I saw the black dial, I wasn't a fan of this watch.

·
Registered
3,811 Posts
:-dhttp://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=3219&cad=&psearch=&selectfamily=&search=&pagetype=&catnum=113sesnextrep=932500158235961&partnum=&

McMaster and Carr

give yourself a nice white towel to work on, you can see the pins and collars better, get some simple inexpensive watch repair tools, and have at it. Once you are familiar with which end the pins come out, it is very easy and you will have the satisfaction of having it done right!!!!!!!

That's my opinion and I will stick to it.

paul:-d

·
Registered
110 Posts
:-dhttp://www.mcmaster.com/nav/enter.asp?pagenum=3219&cad=&psearch=&selectfamily=&search=&pagetype=&catnum=113sesnextrep=932500158235961&partnum=&

McMaster and Carr

give yourself a nice white towel to work on, you can see the pins and collars better, get some simple inexpensive watch repair tools, and have at it. Once you are familiar with which end the pins come out, it is very easy and you will have the satisfaction of having it done right!!!!!!!

That's my opinion and I will stick to it.

paul:-d

Hi,
I agree with you...that's exactly the way I was seizing my bracelet.
However, there is something with that link...

Sincerely,
Ned

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
Sizing the bracelet is easy if you follow PMWF website in post #3. I did it easily and I am mechanically declined. There is something about the monster that I love-I have high and medium end dive watches that cost much more than my black monster but I always look forward to wearing it. Now contemplating buying Red monster.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts