WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which one would you guys recommend for my first automatic diver? I think i like the looks of the sammy but since they are discontinuing them i was wondering if I should just get a monster instead? Im thinking i need to jump on the princeton watch sale on the sammy. What are they going to replace them with? Which is a better watch and whats the pros and cons for each?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I think if your looking for just a tool watch diver then the monster is probably a better fit as it feels like a much more rugged watch. The samurai to me is a much more versitile as you can likely pull it off as a dress if you didn't have anything else. I think Sammy is a much more classier piece and prefer the overall look over the monster but based on price alone the monster is tough to beat. I think eventually you will get both, but starting with the monster is usually what sucks you in :-!
IMO it's a win/win

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well, right now you can get a black Samurai (stainless) for $219 next day shipped from princetonwatches.com I bought one and it will be here today. I sent my black monster back. The new production of the watch is not as good. The lume wasn't as good as the old ones and the bezel was more like 60 clicks than 120. The Samurai is a $400 watch so that may help you out on your decision. By the way, I still love my older orange monster, it's great.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
Sammy without thinking twice. I'm one of the few who don't like the Monster.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I agree. I think Im gonna go with the sammy. Does anybody know whats going to take their place in the seiko diver lineup? I also seen a 007 in the sales forum for $120. Im thinking of snagging it also.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Double post? Dont know whats up with that?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nevermind on the 007's. They sold about an hour ago.

·
Registered
12,355 Posts
Does anyone know where I can get a new one with the white face? I've searched a bit but can't seem to find anything on it. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Well, right now you can get a black Samurai (stainless) for $219 next day shipped from princetonwatches.com I bought one and it will be here today. I sent my black monster back. The new production of the watch is not as good. The lume wasn't as good as the old ones and the bezel was more like 60 clicks than 120. The Samurai is a $400 watch so that may help you out on your decision. By the way, I still love my older orange monster, it's great.
Dave, as I said in the previous thread, honestly think you got a bad watch, and not sure others should jump to conclusions on one bad experience. I'm surprised you've mentioned the bezel being funny as well, must have really slipped past the QC department. Oh, and I must disagree w. you on the SS Sammy being a $400 watch; the Ti's are worth that much (and slightly more), the SS version is really closer to the $220 that Princeton is selling them for. (which is a good deal! Nice pickup! :-!)

Travis, sounds like you should jump on the Samurai deal too; it seems you've got your heart set on one, and you'll beat yourself up if you don't get it while available. :-d The Monsters are going to be around for at least a little while longer, and likely will be more available on the used market even after discontinuation. The Monster really isn't a good supplement for the Sammy anyway; if you're drawn to the (very unique) look of the Monster, doesn't hurt to have both of them! ;-)

One thought: I would also recommend possibly looking for a Ti Sammy, which in my mind fixes the few niggles I personally have with the SS (crown guard, hands, hour indeces). Those will likely cost $400+ used, so if it comes down to price & availability, the SS is the way to go. |>

PS. Beautiful shot, kibi!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Dave, as I said in the previous thread, honestly think you got a bad watch, and not sure others should jump to conclusions on one bad experience. I'm surprised you've mentioned the bezel being funny as well, must have really slipped past the QC department. Oh, and I must disagree w. you on the SS Sammy being a $400 watch; the Ti's are worth that much (and slightly more), the SS version is really closer to the $220 that Princeton is selling them for. (which is a good deal! Nice pickup! :-!)
I would agree with you that the particular watch I received was not up to par. My orange monster is a great watch and the quality on it was well above the one I got. The bezel has tight clicks and the lume is nuclear. As for the Samurai, the retail price is much higher than the monster but they are different watches.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Oh, and I must disagree w. you on the SS Sammy being a $400 watch; the Ti's are worth that much (and slightly more), the SS version is really closer to the $220 that Princeton is selling them for. (which is a good deal! Nice pickup! :-!)
!

Before I jumped on the Princeton deal, SS Samurai's were routinely going for $300 + on the sales forum, although this is more because of the rarity than features of the watch. That being said, I do think that although it has a similar movement to several $200 Seiko Divers, the styling and fit/finish put it slightly above the Monster and SKX007.

·
Registered
568 Posts
for me...Monster!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The Samurai also gets my vote 110%! Actually I just got one this afternoon and it hasn't left my wrist to this evening. This is also my first seiko watch and I simply love the look and feel of the watch. It feels solid on the wrist and looks great. It's a classy divers watch that's only unique to the Seiko Samurai! :-!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts