WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts
I haven't been here for very long, but I've owned a decent amount of watches and done countless hours of research, and this is literately the first I've ever heard of Monta. Just based on resale value alone, go Nomos.
Speaking from experience, I'd say that the resale value on either isn't that great. As for not knowing Monta, despite doing countless hours of research, I can only surmise that your research doesn't include any of the internet watch community.

Speaking from experience, I'd say that the resale value on either isn't that great. As for not knowing Monta, despite doing countless hours of research, I can only surmise that your research doesn't include any of the internet watch community.
You are correct, I am the only person on the internet that has never heard of a 3 year old brand hailing from the hollowed watchmaking town of St. Louis, MO.

You are correct, I am the only person on the internet that has never heard of a 3 year old brand hailing from the hollowed watchmaking town of St. Louis, MO.
First off, worrying about "resale" on a sub $2k watch seems like an odd use of one's mental energy. Secondly, the arrogance that comes along with "If I haven't heard of it, it must not be worth knowing about..." yeah, perhaps that whole approach needs a rethink.

Since your google-fu doesn't appear to be as finely honed as you think, let me offer up some links:

Hodinkee: Monta Altas
Hodinkee: Monta Ocean King
Worn & Wound: Monta Atlas
Worn & Wound: Monta Skyquest
Fratello Watches: Monta Basel World Lineup 2018
Fratello Watches: Monta Atlas
Fratello Watches: Monta Ocean King Long Term Test
Time and Tide: Monta Ocean King Hands On
Time and Tide: Monta Atlas GMT Review

I could go on but then I'd need your address to send an invoice.

Reactions: Dennis K
First off, worrying about "resale" on a sub $2k watch seems like an odd use of one's mental energy. Secondly, the arrogance that comes along with "If I haven't heard of it, it must not be worth knowing about..." yeah, perhaps that whole approach needs a rethink.
I haven't been here for very long, but I've owned a decent amount of watches and done countless hours of research, and this is literately the first I've ever heard of Monta. Just based on resale value alone, go Nomos.
1. Literately the first point in OP's criteria is budget of <$2000. (Unlike you) I'm not making any sort of judgement call, but money is clearly important to him, so what I said was 100% relevant.

2. You're right, prefacing a statement with "I haven't been here for very long" does reek of arrogance. Bro got snarky with me so I got snarky back. As an aside, I now remember why I hated traveling to LA for work.

That's really not what you said though, isn't it? You said you've done, 'countless hours of research'.

1. Literately the first point in OP's criteria is budget of <$2000. (Unlike you) I'm not making any sort of judgement call, but money is clearly important to him, so what I said was 100% relevant.

2. You're right, prefacing a statement with "I haven't been here for very long" does reek of arrogance. Bro got snarky with me so I got snarky back. As an aside, I now remember why I hated traveling to LA for work.
But you clearly made a judgement call, when you said you'd choose Nomos, because they have better resale value, to which I disagreed with. And I can't see anybody who got snarky with you prior to your post, of which I think came across as quite arrogant. As you made a negative statement of a brand, purely based on the fact that you didn't know who they were.

That's really not what you said though, isn't it? You said you've done, 'countless hours of research'.

But you clearly made a judgement call, when you said you'd choose Nomos, because they have better resale value, to which I disagreed with. And I can't see anybody who got snarky with you prior to your post, of which I think came across as quite arrogant. As you made a negative statement of a brand, purely based on the fact that you didn't know who they were.
OK let's try this again.

If you wouldn't mind, can you tell me how many hours of your life you have spent on watch forums, reading watch books, in ADs, whatever? No. One might consider that "countless". I'm guessing we're all in the same boat here. I never claimed my time was better or worse than anyone else, it's your feelings that are attributing an emotional spin to a factual statement.

Where did I make a negative statement of a brand? I factually stated that I had never heard of Monta. Like all of you, I'm constantly looking at the FS forums, C24, Ebay, etc. Never seeing or hearing of a brand is not good for liquidity, and therefore not good for resale.

Why are you guys so defensive ? Are you equity holders of Monta or something? You're acting like I insulted your children.

OK let's try this again.

If you wouldn't mind, can you tell me how many hours of your life you have spent on watch forums, reading watch books, in ADs, whatever? No. One might consider that "countless". I'm guessing we're all in the same boat here. I never claimed my time was better or worse than anyone else, it's your feelings that are attributing an emotional spin to a factual statement.

Where did I make a negative statement of a brand? I factually stated that I had never heard of Monta. Like all of you, I'm constantly looking at the FS forums, C24, Ebay, etc. Never seeing or hearing of a brand is not good for liquidity, and therefore not good for resale.

Why are you guys so defensive ? Are you equity holders of Monta or something? You're acting like I insulted your children.
I've bought and sold my fair share of watches and The 3 Montas I sold I had no issue moving. I bought them pre owned, so I lost nearly nothing out of pocket. If you buy a new one of course you'll take a hit, but that's the case with a majority of watches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've owned both brands, a club from Nomos and an OceanKing from Monta, I do still own a Nomos but dumped the club for an Orion. My take Nomos feel like dress watches, even the more sporty ones (the club) have a business casual look and feel to them. I feel the Monta will suit an everyday watch more but for quality I feel a Nomos would be above Monta. If your more of a polo and khakis when being casual rock the Nomos but if your a Tshirt and jeans type Monta might be your better option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Good advice here. Match your watch choice to your personal style of casual.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

41 - 51 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.