WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Ive seen a used Nicolas Rieussec 104981 and was looking to buy it. Im just not sure on if its a good investment or about the long term reliability of it. Anyone able to share some advice or give opinions on the brand/watch.

Regards
Alex

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you mean a financial investment then of course it is not a good one.
Im not looking for it to go up in value, more so not to lose all of its value. lol. I like the design of the watch and when I first spotted the design about a decade ago I fell in love, but was to young and poor to buy it. Im older and richer now and am looking for a new watch so am considering this or a Hublot. At the same price point the Hublot is a bit more basic.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
It's a decent brand but heavily discounted. I would check the gray market for new examples to make sure you're getting a good deal. Also, yes, it will continue to depreciate over time, and if you get tired of it and want to sell, expect to take a loss.

·
Registered
7,878 Posts
Lovely watch. Montblanc brand has been getting better and better in recent years and is gaining some respect in watch circle.
The watch itself, I have 3 comments:
1) forget about it as investment. Resale will atke a big hit. Just not popular enough to command strong resale. Check a few recent ebay and watchrecon listings to see how they sold...
2) It's a big watch w 43mm case. Try it on before buying because need above-average wrist to pull it off
3) Be realistic about buy price and resale expectations. This model is available in GM (grey Market) today at 54% off. Compare that to the used price you are considering. If new can be had at 50%off or more, just set proper expectations for used being less than that.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Objectively speaking it’s an interesting watch with a novel way of implementing the date and chronograph complications. On the other hand, it harkens back to a time when it was the high end of a portfolio in which Montblanc was leveraging its branding to mainly offer run of the mill ETAs watches. The fact that it’s been available throughout airport boutiques world wide for decades hinders any perception that it may be rare or unique.

I’d say it presents an interesting opportunity to obtain a somewhat high end watch at a competitive price, assuming severe discounting prior to purchase.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone for your responses. I am still thinking this is the one to buy and its price is pretty much as cheap as ive seen used ones going for. My long term goal is to pass the watch down to family members so value for me is in the long term. The company im buying it from will give me a 12 month warranty but my other concern is servicing and potential repair costs in the future as its an in-house movement. Does anyone know servicing costs and how regularly it should be done on this watch? The Mont Blanc website is useless at answering these questions. Thanks

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If you like it, buy it. As you have been looking at this watch a long time, I doubt you would regret it.

Would you be having the same conversation if it was a car? You will lose far more on a car than you will on a watch.

Go and enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Thanks everyone for your responses. I am still thinking this is the one to buy and its price is pretty much as cheap as ive seen used ones going for. My long term goal is to pass the watch down to family members so value for me is in the long term. The company im buying it from will give me a 12 month warranty but my other concern is servicing and potential repair costs in the future as its an in-house movement. Does anyone know servicing costs and how regularly it should be done on this watch? The Mont Blanc website is useless at answering these questions. Thanks

You’re wise to consider servicing costs. I’m going to hazard a guess that servicing that model today would cost at least $700 and likely more. An independent service centre will likely charge $400 to $500 to service a standard Valjoux based chrono. Authorized service centres for big brands like IWC or Tag Heuer will charge about $700 for the same service. For the Montblanc, I’m pretty certain that you would need to get it serviced at an authorized centre given the unique movement. I’d expect that it would cost at least as much as a regular chronograph, and probably closer to $1000.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts