WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With SIHH 2016 coming to an end, and boasting independent watchmakers and other luxury offerings, from my reading, it seems, the most affordable brand offering in SIHH 2016 are mainly from Montblanc. Not sure if i miss out any release, if yes, feel free to comment.

As titled,

So, what do you think about Montblanc, their placement, their brand etc. Do you think they are value for its money? (Picture credit: Monochrome)

1) Montblanc Heritage Chronometrie Date by Hand - 2,790 Euros

2) Montblanc 1858 Small Seconds - 3,015 - 3,320 Euros

3) Montblanc 4810 Chronograph - 3,990 - 4,250 Euros

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Re: The most affordable watches in SIHH 2016?

I think they've released some beautiful watches the past couple of years & the brand's association with Richemont & Minerva bring some credibility (despite being mainly known for high-end pens). I've had a Meisterstuck pen for 35 years, still going strong.

·
Banned
2,843 Posts

I like Montblanc a lot. I am ecstatic that they seem to be trying to make more Minerva inspired timepieces.

·
Registered
343 Posts

Yeah, MB is on the right path to greatness. Great quality watches with awesome pricing. I just think that some of their designs scream JLC too loudly. Not to say that it's bad, but I'd personally wait a bit until they come up with their own identity.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

I dont see how 3k+ for bog standard elaboree grade barely finished movements is considered affordable. (Don't show me a random MB with a superb movement now to prove a point, they do have some good looking stuff but priced way too much)

IMO the biggest problem that Baume and Mercier, Montblanc, Maurice Lacroix face is not credibility. They all have good stories, some stunning high end watches, good design departments, and fantastic looking movements in the higher price points. Its at their so called "entry level" they get chomped up. The value proposition is very questionable. For example : Montblanc's basic 3 handers should be under 2k not 3k, same with B&M.

Sure Longines is owned by Swatch and has the benefit, but doesnt stop them from putting in Top grade stunningly finished movements in their sub 2k watches, whats stopping these brands from getting a top grade Sellita that is finished better? They instead want to make a big scene about their "status" want to price it for that and not for what you are getting.

Then there is Nomos, who is able to make a stunning looking in-house movement in a well designed/finished case for the same price as the basic 3 handers sold by these fellas

How about Frederique Constant, who again uses Sellita in their very well finished cases and dials, but are priced correctly and manage a superb looking in house movement in the same 3k price point.

Sorry but Montblanc is nowhere near the "Affordable" category simply because they don't give you the value for the price point they are after.

·
Registered
486 Posts

I agree with the OP. I was looking for a Pilot type watch and a manual wind watch. I just found both in one piece with a really good case and finish. I agree that the engine is a standard Unitas but I believe this is a gorgeous watch. With the discount I got at the AD, I believe I got a good bang for my bucks.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

With the discount I got at the AD, I believe I got a good bang for my bucks.
This is an important qualifier IMO. I think all three brands I mentioned (Mont Blanc, Baume and Maurice) make some very good watches, they are just retailing at the wrong price IMO and can do a lot better if priced better, that said with a good "discount" or at the right price, they are very good to have.

I myself have a watches from each brand and really like them, just don't see myself paying anywhere near their retail for it, but I can see myself paying retail for a Longines, Ball, Nomos. That was my point.

PS:Congrats, I think the watch looks great.

·
Registered
343 Posts

IMO the biggest problem that Baume and Mercier, Montblanc, Maurice Lacroix face is not credibility...
Come on, you're picking on MB a bit too harshly here. First of all I don't think you can put MB in the same sentence as B&M, ML, Longines, or even Nomos. Those 4 have longer watchmaking history. I may be wrong but as far as I know MB only started making watches in 1997. And it didn't really pick up until they hired former JLC CEO in 2013. In my opinion what they've achieved in the space of 2 years are amazing.

Some of their collections are indeed overpriced, but overall, given their strategy and (personally) such elegant design, I think the pricing is fair. Remember, they don't cater only to WIS and I'm pretty sure there are plenty of non-WIS who would gladly pick MB any day above Longines/Nomos. And without naming any brand, I think you'd find worse pricing cases with other watchmakers.

Lastly, they do have basic watches under 2k, i.e. 112609-montblanc-tradition-date-automatic

And several Star collection, Heritage Chronometrie Ultra Slim, etc..

·
Registered
486 Posts

This is an important qualifier IMO. I think all three brands I mentioned (Mont Blanc, Baume and Maurice) make some very good watches, they are just retailing at the wrong price IMO and can do a lot better if priced better, that said with a good "discount" or at the right price, they are very good to have.

I myself have a watches from each brand and really like them, just don't see myself paying anywhere near their retail for it, but I can see myself paying retail for a Longines, Ball, Nomos. That was my point.

PS:Congrats, I think the watch looks great.
Thank you! I really like the watch. Being 44 mm it wears very comfortable.

To elaborate more on the price: I bought the piece from a MB boutique in Mexico City and got a preffered client's discount (I also collect MB LE edition pens). The thing is that the Mexican Peso has devaluated 30% en the last three months and MB has not updated their prices in pesos, so the result is I paid 30% less in pesos when converting to USD. It was a sweet deal.

·
Registered
9,884 Posts

IMO the biggest problem that Baume and Mercier, Montblanc, Maurice Lacroix face is not credibility. They all have good stories, some stunning high end watches, good design departments, and fantastic looking movements in the higher price points. Its at their so called "entry level" they get chomped up. The value proposition is very questionable. For example : Montblanc's basic 3 handers should be under 2k not 3k, same with B&M.

Then there is Nomos, who is able to make a stunning looking in-house movement in a well designed/finished case for the same price as the basic 3 handers sold by these fellas

Sorry but Montblanc is nowhere near the "Affordable" category simply because they don't give you the value for the price point they are after.
First we are talking about SIHH not Basel so the bottom end price wise is almost non-existent.

Second, you really have to look at the price the watches actually sell for Nomos is full MSRP while MB is not. If Nomos sold through a full AD system and grey market the MSRP would probably be more like 4-4.5k but sell for about the same price. FC doesn't have the brand value to charge MB prices, which does make them a better value if one doesn't care about brand.

·
Registered
9,496 Posts

I think it will definitely be a brand to watch. Didn't they recently bring over a top guy from JLC?

I'm sorry, but I still can't get this out of my mind when I see the name.

·
Registered
4,155 Posts

First we are talking about SIHH not Basel so the bottom end price wise is almost non-existent.

Second, you really have to look at the price the watches actually sell for Nomos is full MSRP while MB is not. If Nomos sold through a full AD system and grey market the MSRP would probably be more like 4-4.5k but sell for about the same price. FC doesn't have the brand value to charge MB prices, which does make them a better value if one doesn't care about brand.
I am confused by your statement regarding bottom end being non-existant when indeed the OP has created a thread about a basic 3k manual wind and stock chronograph which I think many folks would consider bottom end of the MB line up. This is the bottom end and yes it is very much present in SIHH and my point was regarding the brand overall.

Secondly Nomos does sell through several AD's and they charge the same price. MB has a boutique and AD, same difference. Nomos doesn't put millions into marketing, MB does. My point was simply that MB could simply make a few minor changes in their line up, especially their bottom end line up and have MUCH better competing products.

I'm not picking on MB here randomly, I do like their nicer watches and I really like the Timewalker, but the prices, not so much. My point was simply that they can drop the MSRP on those a bit and start using higher grade movements and while that might hurt their margin and advertising budget a bit, it will be much better regarded and sell a lot better.

I was comparing the other brands I listed just for the price points and what they offer in the price points, not getting into history, WIS, or any of that. Its a simple point stating that at a given price point, MB has the power and ability to do better than they are doing at this time as they already have the other stuff that the smaller guys are struggling to get , ie. brand recognition, history and following. If they tweak their collection a bit, they can compete MUCH better in the watch space.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts

Mont Blanc and Affordable?
No matter in which angle i look at the two words... they never linked to one another closely.
Or perhaps i had missed on just one angle... the view from a high income earner's perspective, yeah... it's affordable, much affordable than other expensive makes in the market.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts

Thank you! I really like the watch. Being 44 mm it wears very comfortable.

To elaborate more on the price: I bought the piece from a MB boutique in Mexico City and got a preffered client's discount (I also collect MB LE edition pens). The thing is that the Mexican Peso has devaluated 30% en the last three months and MB has not updated their prices in pesos, so the result is I paid 30% less in pesos when converting to USD. It was a sweet deal.
Nice watch! But then again if you only got 10% discount you would not have bought this watch? So jilgiljongiljing is certainly right for MB watches.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts

I'm not going to go down the long road on this topic again but...

1. My understanding is Montblanc is starting to become increasingly known for developing their own modules to offer complications at a relatively reasonable price.
2. Historically, their 4810 line hasn't been the greatest of values with "stock" movements but were always superbly finished.
3. What you are getting for the price in their in-house movements, MBRs and LLs from their Le Locle manufacture and the Villeret line from the Minerva manufacture, have been considered "value" purchases in terms of getting a comparable piece from a more established horological name. (Think ALS vs MB-Villeret.)

Bottom line: value in some places, not in others, and generally the more $ you spend the greater the "relative value" when it comes to MB.

Lastly, I've found some of the Jerome Lambert administrations Heritage stuff a touch derivative in look.

Reactions: vkalia

·
Registered
11 Posts

I think it will definitely be a brand to watch. Didn't they recently bring over a top guy from JLC?

I'm sorry, but I still can't get this out of my mind when I see the name.

You and me both.

Price seems a bit on the expensive side to be honest, not sure about the hands either. Big fan of the dials though, love the more minimalist approach.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To clarify, off course 3k EUR is not affordable range by WUS standard, im implying that MB have the most affordable watches revealed in SIHH 2016, among other big names and release.

Im also believe that a 3k 3 hander seems on a high side, but, people perceive value differently tho.

Its definitely a brand worth checking out.

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
No doubt Montblanc are going places. Their 2016 releases just go to prove that point even more. As a manufacturer, it is still very young (since 2008 if i'm correct) and are still using modified SW/Valjoux/ETA for most of their pieces. But take no credit away from them, their design and finishing are top notch. With ex JLC CEO now heading Montblanc, i'm not surprised that their Heritage Chronometrie line resemble a lot like JLC Master. But at half (or more) the price, it could be attractive for some as a more friendly priced, very good quality and finished timepiece if you can look past the movement not being in-house.

I'm certainly intrigued by the latest Heritage Chronometrie Chronograph Annual Calendar. Pretty much a complicated watch with annual calendar with moonphase plus chronograph, Montblanc somehow managed to integrate the design really well in this one without making it look overly busy. Its again a heavily modified SW300 but at that price point its still not unreasonable. I'm certainly more open to taking a look at Montblanc from now onwards more than before.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts