WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have excellent offer from AD for Montblanc Timewalker Chronograph steel bracellet (almost 40% reduction to list price) and more and less standard offer for Longines Master Moonphase two tone (20%). Total cost will be 2650 € for Montblanc and 3450 € for Longines. I can afford both without problem. Please advice. I am new at forum.
Two simpler RW and masterpiece rectangular ML.

Attachments

·
Seiko, Cartier Moderator
2,601 Posts
I love the Longines but i think the gold makes it look tacky. Instead i'd try and get it in silver on a leather strap. The montblanc just looks too mediocre for the price your paying. They are significantly reduced in price for a reason....nobody wants them because there are much better looking models out there (forgive me for being so blunt).

·
Registered
4,155 Posts
Agree with Gold two tone not being the best representation of that watch. If you are willing to look at the non-gold tone version, I'd pick that over the Montblanc. TBH, I tried MB's lower-mid range offerings and it didnt do a thing for me. I really think there are so many options at that price point that its hard to recommend the MB.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
OP,
I will preface this by saying I am "relatively" a Longines fan and have recommended Longines on the board multiple times. That said...

Have you handled both of these? Have you tried them on? I will tell you IMO it isn't even a contest, particularly with the prices you have been quoted.

The montblanc just looks too mediocre for the price your paying. They are significantly reduced in price for a reason....nobody wants them because there are much better looking models out there (forgive me for being so blunt).
I agree with Athram, if you think the Montblanc is too "plain" then the infinitely more cluttered Longines will be more your speed. I'd consider the MB a "clean" dial. His reasoning for the MB discount however, is, in my opinion, asinine. "Better looking" is completely subjective. Most MB watch owners (and WIS' for that matter) know that for every two "watch enthusiasts" they run into, at least one will say, "I thought MB only made pens." This, and no other, is the reason for the discount. Truly, if you are looking for Richemont's direct competitor to Swatch Group's Longines, it is Baume & Mercier. You are essentially looking at ETA's 7753 in the MB or 7751 in the Longines. If there is a feature of one movement over the other that you are seeking, then the choice is clear. If not, the movement is essentially a wash as both are mostly stock.

If that be the case, then you are looking at the forever disputed, "fit and finish" argument. Some discount F&F, some don't, I take it with a grain of salt. I will say having looked at, and considered purchasing both, the MB was far ahead. My opinion of course, but look at (in person) the case design, details, finish transitions, and the relative intricacies, and you may see why I believe the MB price you were quoted should be jumped upon. MSRP for MSRP I still think you could argue the MB is the way to go.

Now, if you were looking at one of Longines' L688.2 iterations, particularly the St. Imier, then I'd likely take Longines' "proprietary" column wheel over the 7753 in the MB. But such a selection would consider the added cost of service for the L688.2, and of course the F&F, and again, the Longines Column Wheel Record Chrono (another L688.2 watch) didn't hold a candle to the MB. In other words, I would select the Longines solely due to the movement in the case of the L688.2.

If you would like to consider resale...I'd say it is a wash. Neither are industry leaders in resale value.

If you would like to consider exclusivity, I have never seen another MB watch in the "wild." I have seen multiple Longines. Interestingly I have only seen them on the wrist of females. (Dolce Vitas (I am a big fan), Prima Lunas, and a Flagship.)

If you would like to consider heritage, I'd say Longines is a shadow of its 1832 self. MB? Well, their heritage is essentially from 1997. That said, they have a lot to prove, and by last count they have more in-house movements than ETA "specials", and certainly more than Longines. Would you rather a watch from a company who relies on where they have been (Longines)? Or where they are going (Montblanc)? Another consideration: in the case of the Longines, you are getting one of the top of their lines. In the case of the MB, the Timewalker is at the top of their "entry-level" offerings.

Either way, I have no doubt you will be happy. I look forward to picking up a Longines in the very near future. But between the two you have selected, I think the MB is the easy winner here. That is a tougher argument if it were the Longines St. Imier, pictured below:

BTW, I have done my best to temper any bias I may have.

Good Luck! Either way, they are both good watches and more than the average public will ever be able to justify.

Finally, lose the two tone. ;-)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank to you all. Especially to Roller. I was closer to decide for Longines (my opinion was that MB is more sport watch while I use to be in suite often while not in the black one:)))))) but after your comments I have taken another look and decide. Hope that will be still available today. Regarding two tones I principally agree (and personally I thought that I would never use steel bracelet but I have started to have problems with sweating and it is definitely not cheap to change alligator strap almost once a year (what I have done with my ML recently)). That was a reason for bracelet and it has not been easy to find in stock here ordinary steel bracelet (furthermore gold may increase second hand value at least in this country). Anyway it seems that that discussion is now out of scope.
Finally what do you think is this MB at the same level as my old ML masterpiece regulateur.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I think they are both good looking watches. At the prices mentioned I'd probably take the MB however if the Longines was available in stainless for a similar price I would prob go with that (love the blue hands).

Cheers,
NM

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,282 Posts
I much prefer the Longines since I'm a sucker for blued hands and also moon phase. If you like the two-tone go for it. I don't understand the hate for gold or two-tone in here, even though I don't wear them personally.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It has come and it is perfect much better than I thought (and those what I tried). And for only 2600€ (3200$).

Thanks a lot Roller your comments were crucial.

I will send photos as soon as I make them smaller (it is not possible to:roll: upload those what I have done).

·
Registered
291 Posts
What has come? You never said which you finally choose.

As for the topic at hand, Mont Blanc all the way. That stock photo does that watch zip zero nada justice. Roller's post was a home run, and very fair to both, but that Mont Blanc is on my grail list, (as is the new Buame & Mercier Capeland Chrono). This is very good news that "no one wants them." That is usually the point where I come in.

BTW, that two tone would have been the bomb - in 1985.

Reactions: Roller.959

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I thought it was obvious MBTW. I have problem to attach even pdf files.
P.S Regarding two tones I am oldfashioned middleaged conservative prof.dr.b-)

·
Registered
291 Posts
I thought it was obvious MBTW. I have problem to attach even pdf files.
P.S Regarding two tones I am oldfashioned middleaged conservative prof.dr.b-)
Ahhhh... good choice, (IMHO).

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
It has come and it is perfect much better than I thought (and those what I tried). And for only 2600€ (3200$).

Thanks a lot Roller your comments were crucial.

I will send photos as soon as I make them smaller (it is not possible to:roll: upload those what I have done).
Congrats! Welcome to the MB "club" such as it is. ;-) I look forward to those pics! Enjoy it and wear it in good health. Have fun peering into those bead blasted skeletonized lugs, examining the bowl-shaped case, gazing at the bicycle chain bracelet, and admiring the Montblanc star lug screws. A good pick up! Who knows...few more of us "pen" buyers and we may even get our own sub-forum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
image (10).jpeg image (7).jpeg image (8).jpeg image (9).jpeg image (6).jpeg I apologize for delay but I have had a lot of problems with upploading. I hope that you can get an impression and I have to notice that I am even more satisfied now after twoo weeks. I will see how does it looks with suite first time next week when I have lectures.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts