WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering for people that have Moon phase watches, do you use it for anything? or is it just purely cosmetically. I am a fan of watches that have some cosmic thematic. But what is their use?

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, thought to start another one since that one is a bit old. Maybe people have some other ideas. My theory it is used for fishing? Maybe it has an impact on fluxes and refluxes. So one would expect to have a moon phase on a marine or diving watches. Yet it looks like the complication is mostly used on dress watches.

·
Banned
7,741 Posts
It’s just a complication. I doubt most people who buy moonphase watches even set them

·
Registered
10,744 Posts
I owned a Ball Moonphase, and did set it to coincide with the actual moonphases. It looked pretty cool, but it had no practical purpose. If you were a fisherman or a werewolf, you have much more accurate information on the internet than any watch could provide. Buy it if it looks nice. I sold mine simply because, as a moonphase, I considered it a "night" watch, and with Ball being one of the forerunners of tritium in the watch industry, it bothered me that my model didn't have tritium lume at most of the hour marks--only at 12, 3, 6 and 12. Would have kept it otherwise.

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
I could use a moonphase - that way i know when it is low tide outside and when it is time to take my goldies for a walk vs a swim.

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
It’s just a complication. I doubt most people who buy moonphase watches even set them
Or, more likely, they go full-OCD and buy a winder to put it in. Guilty as charged ;-)

Reactions: Ard

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yeah, I use mine (nothing fancy, a g-shock) mostly for planning camping and nighttime outdoor activities. I'm not always so aware of the moon phase but it makes a big difference for things like hiking and even how easy it will be to sleep outdoors (the moon can be quite bright!). I also like doing some stargazing and night sky photography and knowing when the moon is bright makes a difference there too. So yeah, kind of practical.

·
Registered
6,929 Posts
... for telling the phases of the moon.

Mine is ALWAYS set correctly. Either when I pick it up, since it's a automatic, or set before I put it on (a nice app on my phone lets me know the exact phase). One of my biggest fears would be to wear it out and some one tell me that the phase is off by a quarter!

I owned a Ball Moonphase, and did set it to coincide with the actual moonphases. It looked pretty cool, but it had no practical purpose. If you were a fisherman or a werewolf, you have much more accurate information on the internet than any watch could provide. Buy it if it looks nice. I sold mine simply because, as a moonphase, I considered it a "night" watch, and with Ball being one of the forerunners of tritium in the watch industry, it bothered me that my model didn't have tritium lume at most of the hour marks--only at 12, 3, 6 and 12. Would have kept it otherwise.
I don't know about your Ball, but my Omega is so precise, that only one days adjustment needs to be made every 10 years!

And yes, I am a fisherman and I use it in this capacity as well. Much better than lugging the Solunar tables around with me.

(OMG... I just noticed all of that dust... I must take care of that right now!) Ok, so I may have some OCD issues to take care of as well.

Oh..., and I think it just happens to be one greatest looking watch's around!

·
Registered
948 Posts
That Speedmaster with moon phases is an awesome watch. I’m a fisherman too but I leave my gems on shore and take reliable beaters with me on the boat. Knowing the tide stage and speed of current at specific locations are very important for saltwater fishing, more so than just knowing the moon phase. There are apps that can give you more useful fishing data. My grail list includes a moon phase watch because it’s a cool complication ands lends a heritage look to a fine watch.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
This thread kinda makes me want to look into getting a moonphase watch now, you jerks!

Reactions: John Price

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
#1. I respect your right to start up a new thread discussion on this topic, just thought that should be said. If we can have 100 threads about homage watches then having a few about moon phase watches does no harm at all.

#2. Although I've replied on other threads I'll do it again here. I've owned 3 moon phase watches and set each one up soon as I got it. They give a certain old world charm to a watch I think and allow you to know the current phase of the moon at a glance day or cloudy night.

#3. Pictures :)

First one was a Citizen, each one had very interesting details that made them worth while.

Citizen-20822_zps58c9a0d5.jpg~original.jpg

Second came this Enicar which will be the single biggest regret of my watch experience. I sold that watch and will never find another just like it. It was not the typical tiny 34mm watch of the era, it was nearly 37mm made in 1956, very stupid thing selling that watch.

Enicar0265_zpsyleyogng.jpg~original.jpg

Last was this Ball with a big fat tritium moon.

Hirsch0872_zps25lfsjcu.jpg

I did buy a winder to keep that Enicar running on the proper date, month, day and moon as well as time. I like moon phase watches and clocks.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
For me, just because they look so good.

When I had this watch, I set it correctly a few times as I don't use winders, but eventually, I just let it go as the complication was of no use to this non fishing, occasional star gazing guy.

GO2 .jpg

·
Registered
521 Posts
Whether there is a practical use for them or not, I find them fascinating and beautiful. I had a Nivrel moonphase chrono years ago with a beautiful guiochet white dial and I sure wish I still had it

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I've had quite a few moonphase complaication watches over the years, including on of those Ball's with the nice "bright" moon, however I think the best value and most useful one I ever had, and in fact I'm looking/hoping to find another to buy was a Casio PAS400B, had a really neat (multiple) vibration alarm function, killer EL backlight, an all around great watch for wearing around the house& on road-trips, etc.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts