WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would you do? I have a brand new in-the-box 1861 Moon Watch that I bought (with warranty) for less than used ones are selling for.

Would you just put it away with the hopes of its value rising?

or

Wear the hell out of it and screw any profits?

Just wondering.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Wear it of course! It's such a great watch.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,039 Posts
Hmm, that's an interesting question and here's why. Personally, I think a real watch enthusiast would want to wear & enjoy and iconic watch.
Somebody who isn't maybe such an enthusiast, would, maybe, be looking more at the future 'investment potential' of the watch.
So, which category do you belong too?
Do you look at the watch and think, 'what will this be worth in the future'? Or, do you look at it and think, 'this watch is not only super cool, it's also a beautiful & iconic watch'.
Only you can answer this. ;-)

·
Registered
122 Posts
What would you do? I have a brand new in-the-box 1861 Moon Watch that I bought (with warranty) for less than used ones are selling for.

Would you just put it away with the hopes of its value rising?

or

Wear the hell out of it and screw any profits?

Just wondering.
The second thing! In the first place, investing in watches is not wise. There are plenty of other better investments. Secondly, watches are meant to be worn. Wear the hell out of it! Speedmasters look great with battle scars. Finally, 1861 movement speedmasters aren’t exactly rare. They won’t be appreciating tremendously anytime soon.

·
Registered
461 Posts
The only place I wouldn't wear it is in the pool!

I do appreciate people who don't wear their watches though, because I like to buy used watches in pristine condition.

·
Registered
596 Posts
This watch has been made for decades and could very well be made for another century. As an investment, it’s terrible. If you kept it pristine and untouched it will still depreciate due to age alone (keep in mind we have to factor in inflation). Wear it, get your first scratch and panic, then get a couple years or decades of enjoyment out of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
941 Posts
I can only imagine more than a few (hundred) collectors are entertaining that possibility and storing them away for future sale.

Like the 1970's Star Wars Action Figures, they became collectible because no one was collecting them. The figure re-issues produced 2 decades later had everyone collecting them.

Guess which ones are still valuable.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I can only imagine more than a few (hundred) collectors are entertaining that possibility and storing them away for future sale.

Like the 1970's Star Wars Action Figures, they became collectible because no one was collecting them. The figure re-issues produced 2 decades later had everyone collecting them.

Guess which ones are still valuable.
Forgive me for saying so, but this is a bad analogy. Those action figures became more valuable because despite the fact that hundreds of thousands, maybe even millions, were produced, many of them were thrown away over time after children became tired of playing with them. That created immediate scarceness. This is unlikely to happen with wrist watches worth thousands of dollars. In some form they will still be around. Additionally, there is no indication that Omega plans to discontinue its flagship product anytime soon.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts