Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear all,

Although I am not a frequent contributor of this forum, I am pleased to announce a new book to be published in a few months, as a result of several years of research from my colleague and myself. We have launched an associated website which currently only presents a few points of the book:

http://www.moonwatchonly.com

We will be present at BaselWorld from 25th to 27th of April at the official bookstore Watchprint.
Do not hesitate to write us if you have any questions: [email protected]

Best regards,
Greg

·
Premium Member
9,232 Posts
Hi Greg,

Thank You for the introduction. You must be very excited - and justifiably so - about this wonderful book.

I spent about 10 minutes looking at your dial example, the A4 dial, I believe. So impressed with the comprehensive detail. Many of these things are not readily visible, especially to a novice, and it takes a breakdown of every small piece of the dial with remarks to clarify the differences. We are always saying, and are always told that, for example, the Speedy Pro that I purchased new last year, is almost identical to the first 1957 pre-Pro model. It is very interesting to be able to sit at my desk and actually compare the differences to the Speedy that I wear with the one in the example.

There are so many things I love about the Speedmaster Moonwatch, and also a few minor annoyances. Normally, with any other watch, I would have sold it by now and put the money toward another watch. The Moonwatch is different. One seems more willing to put up with the "quirks" as simply being part of the personality of the watch. I believe that by reading and comparing the previous models, and learning more about the watch, your book will instill an even greater love for the watch.

For a person like me, it is wonderful to have such a reference. My memory is so bad, that I can read something and understand it, yet forget so many things about it in a very short time.

I am going to put the book on my shortlist of gifts to myself. You will certainly, I am sure, have a great following. It will be interesting to hear your comments following Basel 2013.

Cheers,
Carl

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear all,

An important step towards publishing our book will be Timecrafters, which will take place May 16-18: TIMECRAFTERS 2014 - SERVICES

We really hope that the first commercial copies will be available, it will be a matter of days...around second half of May.

Unfortunately, we (the authors) will most probably not be able to attend the event.

·
Banned
851 Posts
Sure you will, let's see it.
I was making a joke, but it's comical to see how many accept an outrageous price simply because the book is aimed at people who spend tons of money on other luxury items. The book can be produced for a reasonable price…regardless of the expected sales numbers.

·
Banned
851 Posts
Seeing so many people on more than one forum willing to pay 350 for a book makes me feel like I'm at a tea party with John D. Rockefeller and J.P. Morgan. "Oh…indubitably…I spent 350 last week to get my (insert exotic dog breed here) a pedicure, and I thought it was a BARGAIN, Muffy." Real authors spend years writing real books and get a percentage of a 5 or 10 dollar selling price every day. What's wrong with this picture?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Seeing so many people on more than one forum willing to pay 350 for a book makes me feel like I'm at a tea party with John D. Rockefeller and J.P. Morgan. "Oh…indubitably…I spent 350 last week to get my (insert exotic dog breed here) a pedicure, and I thought it was a BARGAIN, Muffy." Real authors spend years writing real books and get a percentage of a 5 or 10 dollar selling price every day. What's wrong with this picture?
perhaps, and I mean this with absolute kindness and compassion, your attitude.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,816 Posts
The amount of detail in the extracts is crazy. Must've taken a long time to compile and photograph everything, more than any of us could manage with Google searches.

Plus, the audience for this book has got to be pretty limited. I doubt we'd ever see it in the gift books section at Barnes & Noble.

$350 is a hefty price, but I don't think you could sell it for any less.

·
Banned
851 Posts
perhaps, and I mean this with absolute kindness and compassion, your attitude.
I appreciate your kindness, but it doesn't begin to explain the absurd price for this book. The projected sales and the time that it took to compile are not the reason for the price. Apparently it's poor form, Lovey, to point out that something is too expensive. (Using my best Thurston Howell III voice.) I'm off for tea and some polo. Ta ta.

Reactions: Wibbs

·
Banned
851 Posts
Has anyone seen this book yet? I know a member of another Omega forum has received a copy. After seeing the preview of the book, my fear is that there is going to be very little new info. in the book. I hope I'm wrong. I've seen samples showing watch parts, etc for different Speedmaster models, but I am not seeing any indication of the kind of info. collectors were hoping for…production numbers and details as to exactly what each reference left Switzerland with or without. Most likely the most important questions are still going to be unanswered, and I speculate there will be no clear answers to those questions….only observed trends and partial data.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Placed an order yesterday. 250€ and 22€ shipping. Can´t wait to get my hands on it. I am a Speedy lover - I own 2 right now, 1957 reissue and Apollo 15 35th. Still saving and looking for few more. Apollo 11 and Gemini 4 and maybe I shoud get 1970ish vintage.
I personally think 250€ is not so much. I can get few straps for that price but I am sure, this book gives me much more pleasure.

·
Registered
80 Posts
My copy arrived a while ago. It basically sets a new standard in the quality of information and analysis in watch collecting books. It also rigorously disproves myths about Speedmaster production that are popular online.

The effort to research and put it together must have been enormous, especially considering no one else has managed to produce such a detailed and thorough work about the Speedmaster before. Anyone capable of producing work of this quality about anything deserves respect as far as I'm concerned.

Considering the cost is in the same region as an OEM bracelet, the comments about its price seem a little misplaced IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.