WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after this thread about gear ratios and winding, I have an idea to test. https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/about-gear-ratios-winding-4604735.html

How much would a watch auto wind from dead if all you did was put it on your wrist?

Here is the setup, I get up at 0300. Put on 2 watches, one is 9015 the other is SW200. I move around quite bit even at 3, getting coffee, practice guitar, take the dogs out, check out WUS. I'll set the time after one hour without any winding. At work I move around a lot with no impacts or pounding. At 1600hrs I'll check the time and check the amplitude and rate on a timegrapher.

Will either be close to fully wound? How well will they keep time? Will this be good enough so no stem winding has to take place?

RFG

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
I'd also like to see the winner pitted against a Seiko or Orient movement if you have one, especially the ones that don't hand-wind. Anecdotally those feel like they wind on the wrist *very* quickly. A run-down test would be cool, too. I know the movements have different PR, but if one dies in 10 hours and the other in 41, then you have your answer that way as well.

I can say with a pretty high degree of confidence that the 9015 will start up shortly after being put on with no winding and the Sellita will follow suit after that... but I'd like to be proven wrong.

Reactions: Dave_Mc

·
Registered
8,365 Posts
I'm keen to learn too. :)

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd also like to see the winner pitted against a Seiko or Orient movement if you have one, especially the ones that don't hand-wind. Anecdotally those feel like they wind on the wrist *very* quickly. A run-down test would be cool, too. I know the movements have different PR, but if one dies in 10 hours and the other in 41, then you have your answer that way as well.

I can say with a pretty high degree of confidence that the 9015 will start up shortly after being put on with no winding and the Sellita will follow suit after that... but I'd like to be proven wrong.
I do have an Orient. The Sellita started ticking within 5 minutes, the Miyota in 30.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Never mind the question, making coffee, practicing guitar and dog walking I couldn't get past the 03:00 get up.
Today was 0213, I woke up to the wife seizing from hypoglycemia. By the time the gummy lifesavers took effect it was 0245.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
7 hours later the Sellita is running 1 second fast, the Miyota is 0.

RFG

·
Registered
820 Posts
I read a story comparing the winding efficiency of rotors that wind in both directions of rotation vs those that only wind in one direction and the results were...wait for it...the same. Against all logic the rotor that wound only in one direction worked as efficiently as the one that wound in both directions. I'll look for that article and post it up.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Oh my God, is she ok?!
Yes, she is fine. She has been on an insulin pump for 10 years now so the lows only occur 2-3/year. Before the pump it would be once month sometimes more. She is pretty amazing, 47 years as a type 1 brittle diabetic. She has a BS in science and BS RN. She also maintains her ASCP genetics certification.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After 13 hours the results are not what I expected. The watches are Boschett, Reef Ranger with a top grade Sellita SW200, the other is an NTH Barracuda with Miyota 9015. After 13 hours the NTH is -1s and the Boschett is +2s.

They both appear to be running at close to full power as shown on the timegrapher. Maybe very little stem winding is required to get things going and the auto winder takes over, at least for me in this example.

Miyota
Text Violet Purple Font Electronics

Sellita
Text Cobalt blue Font Electric blue Material property

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Yes, she is fine. She has been on an insulin pump for 10 years now so the lows only occur 2-3/year. Before the pump it would be once month sometimes more. She is pretty amazing, 47 years as a type 1 brittle diabetic. She has a BS in science and BS RN. She also maintains her ASCP genetics certification.
What a remarkable person! I'm so glad to hear she's ok.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I read a story comparing the winding efficiency of rotors that wind in both directions of rotation vs those that only wind in one direction and the results were...wait for it...the same. Against all logic the rotor that wound only in one direction worked as efficiently as the one that wound in both directions. I'll look for that article and post it up.
Not trying to hijack this thread but here's one article:

https://www.iwc.com/forum/en/discussion/14422/

And if you have a couple of hours to spare, here's a lengthy discussion on the Public Forum here at WUS from a couple of years ago:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f2/all-t...more-efficient-than-bidirectional-664587.html

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, back to the original questions;
Will either be close to fully wound?
YES

How well will they keep time?
Excellently

Will this be good enough so no stem winding has to take place?
In my daily routine, yes.

But what does that entail? As stated before I'm up early. My full time job is Phlebotomist. I go to a nursing home/retirement center at 0430 to collect blood and other specimens. The complex is fairly large and I walk everywhere and never take elevators. I stick about 10-15 people
in the morning then off to a lab to draw patients and process specimens at 0630 until 1300. I'm at a desk then walk to get patients.(a slow day is 7 sticks, a busy day is 25-30 sticks) Both arms are in constant motion. After work I'm tinkering with watches and practicing guitar for maybe 2-3 hours. I make dinner(yes, I like to cook). After dinner the wife and I relax with our dogs, she likes to read, I usually have a guitar in my lap.

The bottom line is very little stem winding has to take place and the Miyota is an excellent movement.

RFG

·
Registered
820 Posts
I'm active like you in any 24 hour period (except I get up at 4am, not 3am) and any automatic watch I wear regularly does stay wound up. Whether that means "fully wound" I don't know, just that they keep running and keep decent time. Problem is, I have too many watches to wear them all regularly to keep them all running. Consequently, I've gotten rid of all the automatics that aren't windable (except for a few quartz) and keep a select few on my desk to absent-mindedly wind daily to keep them ready to wear.

·
Premium Member
73,720 Posts
A colleague of mine back when I worked in the coal mining industry carried a hoard of sugar coated biscuits (that’s cookies to you) to control his diabetes. The system worked brilliantly for years until he managed to lose them. Fortunately he was working in the pit bottom area and he was able to make it out and cadge some sweets just in time.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update.
On Tuesday around 1700 I left both watches to run dial up. At 1600 on Wednesday the SW200 read 157 degrees +7s the 9015 read 244 degrees +2s. The SW200 stopped at 1922 for a run down time of 26 hours, 22 minutes. The 9015 is still ticking.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts