WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This evening I'm off to play with my youngest son about Anthony Fokker https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Fokker Not really a Key West related thing perhaps, but it's nice to know that Pan Am's first plane that left Key West was a Fokker F-7! Fokker moved to the US after WWI and started the Atlantic Aircraft Company, building planes under his own name.

Pan-Am-Fokker-F-7-General-Machado-October-1927.jpg

The play is staged in a airplane hanger, filled with planes on a local airfield 10 mins from my home.

I think I'll wear my Kingston; the best next thing to my Key West, I think.

Menno

f_flyer2015.jpg

·
Registered
986 Posts
Now that wire and fabric plane that the pilot sits on top of would make a VERY interesting caseback!

Thanks for sharing the information. I'm always amazed at what I learn on this forum.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I had always assumed he was German--never knew he was Dutch, or had an American company. Fascinating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just returned with my son. It was a very interesting play, complete with old films of his life and work. Even a short scene in a newsreel movie of the Fokker Trimotor for PAA! Fokker helped founding Pan Am and a few years earlier KLM.

And there was a scene about Byrd's flight over the North Pole. I am sure that Byrd's flight is a well known story in the US, but I hadn't heard about him until this evening. One learns something new every day!

And off course, the Kingston ran (and runs) flawlessly.

Menno

·
Registered
986 Posts
I love the juxtaposition of the watch, whose need was created by the jet age, and the tri-motor aircraft, harking back to the first days of the aviation industry. Well done!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts