WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1198 Posts

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,364 Posts
I read the linked information. Seems promising if the watch can learn young be more accurate than 10s/y. Since I just bought a GPS Astron, I really should not even consider this watch.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Anyone else as excited about these as I am? A high accuracy thermocompensated satellite watch that learns from its error rate? The cheapest version is around $1100

Morgenwerk Satellite Precision Watch

Will
Cool!
Thanks for the link.

The dial is spot on. Clear and concise is the way I like it.

Some interesting new tricks here:
Antennas to the outside. They will scratch though.
Hook-up to recharge. I'll have to think about that one. Solar dial not reliable enough?

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Way cool,I even like the looks of these watches,and the price is even in my ball park,but gotta save up a few months for.Thanks for posting Will,loving it.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I'm surprised that the quartz accuracy by itself is 36s/year. While significantly better than standard quartz, I would have thought it would be 20 s/y or so.
Don't look too hard at hard at those numbers. You can make them look really good with some temperature manipulation and wear pattern. A marketer's dream. The legal division's nightmare.

·
Banned
5,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Morganwerk

Don't look too hard at hard at those numbers. You can make them look really good with some temperature manipulation. A marketer's dream. The legal division's nightmare.
I'm sure you're right. After all Seiko put out a non compensated 16 kHz movement in the early 70s that they guaranteed 24s/y. I'm thinking they assumed a pretty constant temperature.

·
Banned
5,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Morganwerk

We need to see real world performance. Someone(s) will have to buy one and report on it.
I'm thinking about it. They go on sale next year so I've got time. They look nice (an important quality) but bigger than I like and I want to see what kind of WR they have. I generally won't consider watches with less than 50M rating.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Wow....I am glad i held off ordering an Astron GPS now !

This all sounds quite promising......... AND i like the simple, no nonsense styling. Prices also appear to be more realistic,...... just like the dimensions !
It seems like a lot of tech/functionality is included for the $.

Not being solar powered may not be the massively inconvenient issue which was my initial thought, since a TC piece should not require quite such regular and power consuming daily GPS corrections.

I really like the thinking behind this "multi-layered" approach to accuracy and i hope it works out well in practice.

So would the "learning" IC also help compensate for crystal ageing?... :think:

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Wow....I am glad i held off ordering an Astron GPS now !

This all sounds quite promising......... AND i like the simple, no nonsense styling. Prices also appear to be more realistic,...... just like the dimensions !
It seems like a lot of tech/functionality is included for the $.

Not being solar powered may not be the massively inconvenient issue which was my initial thought, since a TC piece should not require quite such regular and power consuming daily GPS corrections.

I really like the thinking behind this "multi-layered" approach to accuracy and i hope it works out well in practice.

So would the "learning" IC also help compensate for crystal ageing?... :think:

Well, at a guess I would say it never stops learning. Even after 20 years, it will work out the then current actual quartz rate between GPS synchronizations.

The requirement to charge separately could be handy if you use a lot of expensive functions. Use the alarm a lot; recharge more frequently.

On the other hand then, why not synchronize when docking? If that is going to be a regular event.

·
Premium Member
4,390 Posts
I am very intrigued by this watch and look forward to some real world show-and-tells. The geek in me loves the idea of a watch that "learns" as it ticks. As Spock would say, "Fascinating." ;-)

·
HAQ and AW moderator
7,364 Posts
Well, at a guess I would say it never stops learning. Even after 20 years, it will work out the then current actual quartz rate between GPS synchronizations.

The requirement to charge separately could be handy if you use a lot of expensive functions. Use the alarm a lot; recharge more frequently.

On the other hand then, why not synchronize when docking? If that is going to be a regular event.
Most of us cannot receive GPS signals indoors. Good idea in principle. I think recharging each day would be a nuisance given all of the other devices that must be charged up daily.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I would not think it would need to charge everyday.I have an ana-digi here,and with average use it can go 4 months until next charge.Not sure if we can compare the two,but something to go off.If you've seen it before.

·
Registered
18,167 Posts
I would not think it would need to charge everyday.I have an ana-digi here,and with average use it can go 4 months until next charge.Not sure if we can compare the two,but something to go off.If you've seen it before.
The major power consumer of 'docked' watches is usually radios. Operating a TC analog-digital watch would consume much less power. If the GPS use is minimized I would hope daily docking would not be required.

I have two 'docked' watches. They need daily feeds. It is an operational PITA.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Morganwerk

An M3 for me! Hope they don't release for at least 6 months, still got to pay 50% of Astron price when I get delivery in January, so need some time for bank account to recover.

1 - 20 of 1198 Posts