WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering-what's your most accurate regular, non HEQ quartz watch?:think::thanks

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
If they aren't thermocompensated, they all are about the same.

·
Banned
7,645 Posts
My Raymond Weil Tocatta is the best quartz watch out there. Know why? It doesn't have a second hand so therefore you can't obsess about accuracy. :roll::-d

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
Wave Ceptor Casio G-Shock. Syncs (nightly) to the atomic clock. Always dead on. :-d
While the daily resetting of the watch via radio signal keeps the watch displaying the correct time, but it does not make the movement "more accurate."

Accuracy is the ability of movement to keep time to within a certain error independent of outside intervention. I can re-hack a 2 dollar pin lever movement every hour manually (or even construct a complex radio controlled automatic resetting devise) and it will display the correct time to within a few tenths of a second, but it does not make the movement "more accurate."

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
While the daily resetting of the watch via radio signal keeps the watch displaying the correct time, but it does not make the movement "more accurate."

Accuracy is the ability of movement to keep time to within a certain error independent of outside intervention. I can re-hack a 2 dollar pin lever movement every hour manually (or even construct a complex radio controlled automatic resetting devise) and it will display the correct time to within a few tenths of a second, but it does not make the movement "more accurate."
I know, thanks. It was kind of a tongue-in-cheek reply....

That being said, it really boils down to which is more important (or more valued): the ability of the watch to always display the correct time, or how well it is able to keep the correct time once it has been set?

·
Premium Member
7,562 Posts
Seiko SBBN007 with 7C46 movement - always within a couple of seconds/month.

:-!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
I know, thanks. It was kind of a tongue-in-cheek reply....

That being said, it really boils down to which is more important (or more valued): the ability of the watch to always display the correct time, or how well it is able to keep the correct time once it has been set?
Trying to start the quartz versus mechanical debate, are you? :-d

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
My vintage Citizen Seven, really quite accurate. The watch on the right.

Peace,
Preston

Attachments

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
And thus is started the old debate between accuracy and precision. Setting the watch to an accepted time nightly would make it more accurate- closer to a goal or expected result. That does not mean it is precise- that is to say, measuring the true time.

·
Banned
5,606 Posts
Well my Junghans Mega 1000 syncs every day at 2AM so it keeps perfect time, but the rest of my quartz portfolio are well within their -/+ 15 secs per month specs. Of course, the more you wear them the better the accuracy.

Non-HEQ quartz movements are your typical 32KHz watches. HEQ's are 196KHz and not necessarily thermocompensated. For instance, the Seiko 8F HEQ family (The most affordable in the world today) have 196KHz movements good for -/+ 20 secs per year.

·
Registered
25,119 Posts
I was wondering-what's your most accurate regular, non HEQ quartz watch?:think::thanks
The Tauchmeister U-boot is my regulator ;-) (I set all my mechanical watches according to that one)

My 1986 Casio gains too much, my 1977 Omega looses time :-d

I haven't tested the Mach 2000 LED long enough to be sure... :think:

·
Registered
502 Posts
Off my wrist, my Seiko 7548-7000 gains one second per month. I'm not sure how it would perform on my wrist. Does an increase in temperature typically cause a quartz to gain or lose?

Best,
Myles

1 - 20 of 22 Posts