WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The recent Seiko/ETA thread got me thinking about this- and I'll start by saying that I generally do not care about accuracy when choosing a piece. That however does not mean I ignore it in my current collection. In fact, I have noticed that some people get better performance from shared references than another member would. It is part of the beauty of the watch you own and love truly being 'yours.'

That being said- What is the most accurate (true mechanical) watch you own? For me, my Nomos Tangente is insanely accurate. I don't know if I am just lucky but it seems to regularly run within +/- 1 second in a 48 hour period. When I am not wearing it, it is face down and I wind it fully each morning.

I imagine autos and hand winds may have some variations, but all of that aside, I ask you- my fellow WUS'ers- what is YOUR most accurate mechanical watch?

Reactions: vandelsand

·
Registered
10,872 Posts
My most accurate are two....Towson and Bvlgari. They both use the ETA 2892-2.
The Towson is a Top Grade and the Bvlgari is a COSC Grade.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I was just posting this stuff on another thread.

My two 3135 Rolex required two trips back to headquarters for hyper regulation and my friends thought I was being a complete nutter.
From the beginning of October Its gained roughly a quarter of a second as seen below...it's easy to see if its gaining or losing. In that time I've done two short evenings 4-6 hrs each of face down for some minor correction. You can see here the cheeky thing is gaining....an overnight rest on its face in ten days time will bring it back to dead on time.

·
Moderator Public Forum
10,281 Posts
My Omega AT 2500. +1 secs/day.
Closely followed by my Sinn 256 (ETA 7750) which, after service, now runs at about +2 secs/day.

My Dynamic is the worst with an average of around +10, but quite a bit of positional variation and rather low amplitude. Time for a service I think.

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
For all those that believe you MUST pay for accuracy.......Poljot hand-wind alarm watch. If stored properly overnight it MIGHT gain 1 second in 24 hours.

Reactions: woodsworth

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
If accuracy is the only factor, my $85 gshock solar atomic beats just about anything. I don't find it that interesting though. My HMT has more character for half the price.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
My Omega Speedy with the 1151 movement is about +1.2 sec cumulative when worn constantly. The daily variance can be as much as 3 seconds though. Honestly, I don't time most of my watches over as long or as consistently, I just pay attention to the Speedy since I was struck by how accurate it was with the relatively pedestrian movement.

·
Registered
872 Posts
For all those that believe you MUST pay for accuracy.......Poljot hand-wind alarm watch. If stored properly overnight it MIGHT gain 1 second in 24 hours.
Yeah, I'll go ahead and agree with Docrwm. My skx007 (gave it to my brother after he took a liking to it on a fishing trip) was running at around +2 seconds a day- which is pretty "scary accurate" (especially at ~150 dollars)

·
Banned
2,649 Posts
I'll start by saying that I generally do not care about accuracy when choosing a piece.
I get what you're saying, but isn't it crazy when talking about watches ranging up to the five figures that accuracy doesn't play a part?

That said my Seiko quartz TUNA is my most accurate. My Volstok is my most inaccurate with a range of 1-3 minutes off per day, still not bad for an automatic that I paid $24.00 for, add in the cool factor and it was a steal.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
I don't have the time nor patience to check my mechanical watches in the various test positions; I only care about how they perform on my wrist (and I'm really not *that* concerned about extreme accuracy at all). My top five in descending order:
Eterna KonTiki (vintage 70's, cal Eterna 12824, serviced 3-4 years ago): -2sec/day
Omega Seamaster (vintage 1963, cal 564, serviced 3-4 years ago) +2sec/day
Eterna chronometer (vintage 1961, Eterna cal 1420U, unknown last service) +4 sec/day
Orient King Diver (vintage 70's can't remember the calibre, last service 2 years ago) -5 sec/day
Tudor Oyster (vintage 1950, manual ETA 1183, serviced 4 years ago) +5sec/day.

More than good enough for me.

~Sherry.

·
Registered
14,989 Posts
I know I'm in the minority, but I have never been concerned about accuracy, I guess in part because the same piece is rarely worn for more than a day and I've never encountered any problem that would solicit my attention so far. I set the time off my cell phone at the beginning of the day and, on the rare occasions that I've checked the time off the phone, all's been fine. The biggest issue I've faced is not being able to answer a prospective buyer's request for timing data (as/when I'm listing a piece) though that has never caused a sale to fall through.

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I'd say my Sea-Gull M163S beats all my watches hands down. Even some quartz ones. 3 weeks have passed since last regulation and it has only deviated from the atomic G-Shock for 3 seconds (constantly fluctuating within 5 second space up and down). I get that smug smile on my face every time i check it's accuracy with the atomic G-Shock. Tiny bit of luck is involved, but it's incredible that you can still pull off such insane accuracy from a fully mechanical watch that doesn't have any COSC certificates or insane price tag...

It was however not this accurate from the shop. I've regulated it myself without timegrapher. Just by wearing it and adjusing it through it's average wear cycles (some on my wrist and some on the shelf when i was wearing other watches). So, in a nutshell, it's not regulated to any position at all, it's regulated to my life personally and averages best to my typical hands movement through the day, every day. If i'd give it to someone else who has a different life style, it probably wouldn't be as accurate.

Orient Mako is under the same regulation process and i'm very close to the same perfection. Currently it's still slightly too slow, but i think i'm very close to getting it to that sweet spot where i'll have nearly zero deviation for my wearing style of the Mako.

As for the normal quartz watches, they are all way more accurate than specified. They are all specified to be within 20-30 seconds a month, but they usually go for under 5 seconds deviation. Except G-Shock which is atomic and obviously accurate to like 0.0000000001 second a month lol :D

Reactions: Leporello

·
Registered
17,054 Posts
I know I'm in the minority, but I have never been concerned about accuracy, I guess in part because the same piece is rarely worn for more than a day and I've never encountered any problem that would solicit my attention so far. I set the time off my cell phone at the beginning of the day and, on the rare occasions that I've checked the time off the phone, all's been fine.
Likewise.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Most accurate... Seiko SARB033 with 6R15C movement. +0s/24h. Seems to lose a second on wrist and then gains it overnight.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I know I'm in the minority, but I have never been concerned about accuracy, I guess in part because the same piece is rarely worn for more than a day and I've never encountered any problem that would solicit my attention so far. I set the time off my cell phone at the beginning of the day and, on the rare occasions that I've checked the time off the phone, all's been fine. The biggest issue I've faced is not being able to answer a prospective buyer's request for timing data (as/when I'm listing a piece) though that has never caused a sale to fall through.
Likewise here although I would say that given your collection, accuracy probably wouldn't be an issue regardless.

I've not bothered checking but I suspect that my Alpinist is my most accurate timepiece for what it's worth.

Reactions: drhr

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
I'm only concerned about accuracy to some point. Because re-adjusting a mechanical watch daily just to keep it in a reasonable time keeping level is very annoying. But if i can keep it running for 2-3 weeks before i have to correct it, that's already superb.

I don't bother re-adjusting quartz watches, because they never go off enough between DST changes to be annoying to live with. I do adjust them to atomic time when i set them for DST changes. In 5-6 months, they'll go off for max 20-30 seconds which is nothing really.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts