WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the most exotic AR coating you've seen on a watch crystal? It used to be that AR coatings were just to reduce reflections, now they're half about being eye-catching rather than unnoticeable. And... I'm ok with that! :-!

I've seen blue, blue-purple, purple - where's the multi-color and yellow-orange-ruby?

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Mine just looks purple. It was very surprising to me because even though I have had plenty of sapphire crystalled watches, this was my first AR coated one. I probably should have gotten a more extreme angle for the picture to show the coating.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I've never seen anything other than blue/purple AR on a watch, as for binoculars and telescopes, it seems to be the cheaper brands that use the bright gold/yellow/red/orange coatings, possibly because they are more eye catching to the potential customer than for their effectiveness. All the higher end brands I've seen like Nikon, Zeiss, Canon, Pentax, Meade etc, seem to mainly use coatings that go from a deep green to blue, purple and deep red.

The current Omega AR is now colourless, which is a shame as I like the blue on my old PO.

·
Registered
250 Posts

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Not the color, no. More like, you look at the watch, you can't see the glass, so you can see the dial perfectly without reflections and it looks as if it doesn't have any glass at all...

·
Registered
366 Posts
Not the color, no. More like, you look at the watch, you can't see the glass, so you can see the dial perfectly without reflections and it looks as if it doesn't have any glass at all...
I would say that the purpose is to reduce reflectiveness to improve readability, not to look as if there is no glass.

As far as the OP's question, Android has a lot of funky-colored AR coatings- most of their offerings are mineral rather than sapphire, though.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
I reckon Lum - Tec had some crazy AR coatings....my Bull45 reflects purple light at certain angles.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
There are some strange spammers (bots) on WUS. They copy sections of people's posts and repost them. This is probably the 5th or 6th I've seen.
Yes, that's interesting. I just had a look at "BradfordSil"'s postings and they all look like that. Bradford, are you a bot? :think: This interests me because I noticed two months ago that about a dozen of my posts were getting "ghosted" like that on the WRUW threads. So many things I still don't understand. Anyway, I don't have anything interesting to add to the AR thread - all mine are blueish.

·
11,972 Posts
Hows this....

It still looks normal most of the time...

Reactions: Soo Fuego

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would say that the purpose is to reduce reflectiveness to improve readability, not to look as if there is no glass.

As far as the OP's question, Android has a lot of funky-colored AR coatings- most of their offerings are mineral rather than sapphire, though.
That was the original intent of an AR coating, yes. But people caught on that AR coatings implied a certain expensive exclusivity and so AR coatings became more obvious and more eye catching, rather than disappearing.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
That was the original intent of an AR coating, yes. But people caught on that AR coatings implied a certain expensive exclusivity and so AR coatings became more obvious and more eye catching, rather than disappearing.
Didn't work with me, I associate the bright "Ruby" (yellow/gold/orange/red) coloured AR coatings with the cheaper end of the optics market, and I can't recall ever seeing a camera lens with the "Ruby" coatings, they seem to be used exclusively on lower end binoculars?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts