WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
What Deepsea_Dweller said above. :-!

Google "Murakami Frogman" for more information on this extremely collectible, limited edition of 300.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool thanks bro. Sorry I'm new to all this but y does everyone love the frogmans? What's so special about them?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I wonder about this question before, which lead to be part of the counting thread, and you know what I still don't have the answer : D

Most expensive in retail price currently is the GPW series, Aviation and ofcause the Froggie, then follow by collaboration and anniversary.

and also those vintage DW5000 is good condition I believe.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Besides a limited release why is it so expensive?
Most of Casio's "collabs" are done with companies like BAPE, Stussy, and many companies that aim for a younger, hipper audience. They make trendy advertising pieces with (usually) the name of the company printed on the strap or bezel, and appeal to the same people who buy limited edition t-shirts or tennis shoes, and who are willing to pay a hundred dollars more for a limited edition watch in a fancy box.

Takashi Murakami is "an internationally prolific contemporary Japanese artist. He works in fine arts media—such as painting and sculpture—as well as what is conventionally considered commercial media —fashion, merchandise, and animation...." Takashi Murakami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As an artist, he's apparently a superstar, sort of like Andy Warhol, and the people who buy his work are serious art collectors with seriously deep pockets. Some of his sculptures have sold for hundreds of thousands of dollars; one has sold for $13.5 million. (See the wikipedia link above and its entry "Market Value." I'd copy and paste it here but the subject matter of those sculptures might get me banned. :-d ) Most people who originally bought his G's probably weren't buying cool watches to wear, they were buying art to put on a shelf and hope that it appreciated in value -- which it has.

Is going to Casio and saying "let's make it this color, with these other colors" and them having THEM assemble a watch really "art?" If I were willing to pay Casio to make a limited G-Shock run for my company, and they were willing to let me say "let's put a blue jelly bezel on a GW-6900 next to a green jelly strap, and print black leopard spots on the strap!" would that make ME an artist? I certainly don't think so, but that's probably why I don't understand "art." :-d

As for why "normal" Frogmen are so special and expensive, see this link and read some of the 15 links inside: http://forums.watchuseek.com/f376/why-frogman-so-expensive-419271.html

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I think a DW-5000C Honda F1 watch might rival the Murukami. Sure the Murukami might list for 10-20k, but that doesn't mean it actually sold for that much. I do think the Honda F1 would sell for 5-10k in an auction.

·
Registered
28,234 Posts
I think a DW-5000C Honda F1 watch might rival the Murukami. Sure the Murukami might list for 10-20k, but that doesn't mean it actually sold for that much. I do think the Honda F1 would sell for 5-10k in an auction.
TM had been sold for roughly 17K USD ( NOS ) not long time ago if I remember correctly. But yeah you never know the real price unless you‘re the buyer.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts