WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a thread I've been thinking about for a while, as my preferences trend toward more obvious, tried-and-true watches. Limited edition small production runs don't exactly excite me the way they do for others, and I am consistently drawn to the classic styles. My modest collection consists of a Seiko Alpinist (SPB123 cream dial), Casio S100, and Seiko Flightmaster to give an idea of what I mean.

With that, I wanted to start a compilation of what would be widely considered the modern icons, and by "modern" I mean watches that could likely still be had new close to RRP. A good example of the limit would likely be the SKX or the Flightmaster, where they are both discontinued but recently enough to still be possibly had new. Please add the many watches I surely missed, and wrist shots are encouraged.

Here 'tis, in no particular order except for what I own first:
  • Seiko Flightmaster SNA411 - not everyone's cup of tea, but just from the length of production you can't argue with it's iconic status
  • Seiko Alpinist - the current models are certainly not as iconic as the SARB017, but they hold true enough to the classic styling to fit the bill
  • Seiko SKX - probably not possible to still get one new for a reasonable price, but their iconic status is undebatable
  • Seiko cocktail time - Relatively recently introduced, but an instant classic
  • Rolex Submariner - moving right on all the way up the quality scale, the gold standard of dive watches
  • Rolex Explorer - probably the king of GADAs
  • Rolex Daytona - the gold standard of chronos, and has Paul Newman-approved credibility
  • Rolex Datejust - too many movie features not to include
  • Tudor BB58 - Good example of a modern icon, despite the relatively recent introduction
  • G-shock DW - cheap but insanely durable everyman's watch
  • Omega seamaster - closest in terms of iconic status to the sub
  • Breitling navitimer - the standard that likely inspired the Seiko flightmaster
I'll purposefully cut it short here, even though I could easily think of many others, to give some room for others to chime in. Easy adds are other Seiko dive series (but which ones are most iconic??), various Cartiers or Pateks, etc.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There are numerous threads on this topic via the search engine here.
I've searched many times, like I said it's a topic of interest to me, and the closest threads I've found are about new models likely to become classics. That's not what I'm soliciting here, but rather watches still or recently in production that are established classics.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And all of them highly subjective. If you want it to be an "icon" (new definition: transiently popular amongst internet chat rooms) it can be.
This entire hobby is highly subjective. I included several watches that I'm not personally a fan of, but can't deny their impact on the entire industry or at least their respective categories. An icon by definition is more than "transiently popular".

·
Registered
Samsung Gear Sport
10,803 Posts
This entire hobby is highly subjective. I included several watches that I'm not personally a fan of, but can't deny their impact on the entire industry or at least their respective categories. An icon by definition is more than "transiently popular".
Apple watch have you covered! It even shaped like icon.

·
Premium Member
24,502 Posts
Omega Speedmaster Professional, Patek Philippe Calatrava, Patek Philippe Nautilus, AP Royal Oak, Cartier Tank.

·
Premium Member
10,315 Posts
I've searched many times, like I said it's a topic of interest to me, and the closest threads I've found are about new models likely to become classics. That's not what I'm soliciting here, but rather watches still or recently in production that are established classics.
Maybe these are of help...

• Haha
Reactions: Tjcdas and Fergfour

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe these are of help...

The last one is about right, but the rest are all focused on all timers as opposed to current production models. Thanks for the links at any rate.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Most of the ones listed here are all already are iconic and have been since their release. Should discuss and speculate on upcoming icons instead.

Longines Spirit Zulu will be one, looks are great and has a not so inflated price tag, just not a Longines fan myself (sponsor of horse brutality).

JLC Polaris, it is JLC. Too expensive for my tastes.

GS Snowflake, the first widely popular GS that really helped the brand with global exposure. Own it, wore it for years, now sits in case as I wear mostly divers now.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts