WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a followup to the 'negative or positive display' post below, which negative display models are the MOST LEGIBLE? The GD-350 was mentioned as having a very good negative display. What are some others you'd recommend?

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Smokey gray mudman was the only one legible enough for me to keep, and I have had over a dozen neg displays
Yup.

Both versions GW and G-9300GY

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Yankee, what photo settings are you using? Like, what camera and what filter/effect settings? You have an amazing watch collection, and take great photos of them, but the white balance appears to be way off on all your photos, as if you are using an artificial sunlight filter effect or something. Please don't take this the wrong way. I am glad you post as much as you do, and especially photos of new models, but the color on your photos is very unusual. If that's the effect you are going for, and it is intentional, then by all means continue and nevermind what I said.

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Yankee, what photo settings are you using? Like, what camera and what filter/effect settings? You have an amazing watch collection, and take great photos of them, but the white balance appears to be way off on all your photos, as if you are using an artificial sunlight filter effect or something. Please don't take this the wrong way. I am glad you post as much as you do, and especially photos of new models, but the color on your photos is very unusual. If that's the effect you are going for, and it is intentional, then by all means continue and nevermind what I said.
Nothing special, Simply an iPhone 5S with default settings using rooms with multiple incandescent light bulbs when indoors and sunlight for outdoor shots. Sometimes the HDR setting is on to fill in shadows but usually remember to turn it off. The Smokey Grey photos above are an example of indoor vs. outdoor shooting.
So any color imbalance is not intentional as I don't adjust anything other than to crop right on the phone screen.
I've ditched my Canon for the iPhone for convenience and speed as I'm usually multi-tasking when on WUS and it's so easy to zap the photos to the photo-host with a camera/phone eliminating steps like transferring from a real camera to a computer and then uploading, etc. I try to be picky with choice of shots but sometimes I don't see issues until after posting and checking on an iPad Air. Then if the photo sucks, I edit with a different photo.
I will check to see if I can make an adjustment to the color balance as I think posting a photo really gives a forum post some visual punch, but I agree the photos should be as accurate as possible.

·
Registered
517 Posts
The question really should be a combination of how good is your eyesight, what environment are you/will you be in, and how lazy are you to twist your wrist to look at the face of the watch/enable Auto EL/push the EL button.

·
Premium Member
14,009 Posts
For a negative display, is the G-7710 no longer a viable option? Is the screen to dark now compared to the newer models?

I think the G-7710 is a good looking watch.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
For a negative display, is the G-7710 no longer a viable option? Is the screen to dark now compared to the newer models?
IMO the G-7710 is still top-notch. I once took a pic under my desk just to show how good it really is :-d

cheers, Sedi :)

·
Registered
6,220 Posts
I prefer negative displays in general and have/had quite a few. I still think the GD 350 is the best/most legible and really bummed to see Casio didn't implement it into the Rangeman.

Note 3 cell phone with bad indoor lighting and no after treatment.

My G-7800 was the greyhound. I can see why people enjoy these negative displays, I simply find the pixels too large/coarse.

This picture was set up to be a cool photo, note 2 cell phone with no after treatment.

sent with aloha

·
Registered
112 Posts
tworangeman.jpg

Negative Rangeman besides the positive.

·
Registered
8,522 Posts
Another vote for the GD-350. In fact it is the first watch I not only clearly prefer over a positive display, but one that literally outshines its positive GD-350 counterparts.

cheers

1 - 20 of 30 Posts