WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have been lurking for a few weeks and finally decided to jump into the discussion.

I am ready for my first real watch purchase to celebrate a record month for me in sales. From what I read online, the best $1500 watch is usually a used $3000 watch. I have always like the idea of a dive watch and I have been scouring online lately to see what I like. I currently own an Apple Watch and a Bulova 96E03 which I will be selling when it gets back from repairs.

I am very open to the idea of something vintage along the lines of the Tag Heuer 1000.
I would prefer to have something with gold on it.
I would also like to get something a little more mainstream instead of a smaller boutique style of brand for this first watch.

Hopefully, I am posting in the right section! I will check back frequently to join in on the discussion.
-Bryce

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Welcome, Bryce!

Very exciting, and congratulations!

I'll think about this...but I'm thinking that if a $3,000 diver is worthy, you're not going to find it in reasonable condition for $1,500. If this were my first purchase, I'd probably spend the $1,500 on a new because there are fantastic watches in this price range, new. I'll be curious what the WIS have to say about your options.

Edit: I think you could find an Oris model in this price range, new or used. Depending on strap option, you could comfortably get into a 65 or Aquis. I don't own an Oris diver but I do own their BC3 flieger and it's a solid, quality watch.

Reactions: brycee

·
Registered
736 Posts
I’m a sucker for an Oris 65, 42mm variety with a blue or black dial. Heck, nice in green too.
Some gold in it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Oris 65 Movember has gold in it. Seems to me that I saw it in WatchRecon for $1650 the other day, which may be a little bit out of your price range.

For $1500, and classic, I'd go for the Omega quartz Seamasters, either the 2264 or the 2265, black or blue, respectively.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the quick suggestions. After looking at some of those suggestions, the Oris 65 looks more of what I would consider.

Another criteria that I think is a must would be a fluted bezel. I am learning as we go so I wasn't even aware of the term until comparing the watches mentioned above haha.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's unusual. Do you mean fluted as in Rolex Day Date fluted or crenelated?
You're right, It appears I am using the wrong term. In the instance of the Oris 65 vs the Omega 2265, I am referring to the texture on the outer portion of the bezel.

·
Registered
37,642 Posts
No doubt

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
You're right, It appears I am using the wrong term. In the instance of the Oris 65 vs the Omega 2265, I am referring to the texture on the outer portion of the bezel.
I'd call that a serrated or coin edge bezel. I second the recommendation for an Oris. Swiss made (I don't care, but sounds like you might), independent well-respected brand with long history and original designs, great quality. Diver 65 in 42mm requires probably at least a 7" wrist, Diver 65 40mm and Aquis 43.5mm will fit on most 6.5" wrists.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd call that a serrated or coin edge bezel. I second the recommendation for an Oris. Swiss made (I don't care, but sounds like you might), independent well-respected brand with long history and original designs, great quality. Diver 65 in 42mm requires probably at least a 7" wrist, Diver 65 40mm and Aquis 43.5mm will fit on most 6.5" wrists.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I measure in right around 6.5" for the wrist.

Anyone have recommendations for something maybe a little older that can be purchased used easily to get ahead of some depreciation?

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Anyone have recommendations for something maybe a little older that can be purchased used easily to get ahead of some depreciation?
So...you're looking to maximize residual value as a proportion of original purchase price? But with gold and a coined edge bezel.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So...you're looking to maximize residual value as a proportion of original purchase price? But with gold and a coined edge bezel.
From the first post, I have been looking for something used. It's in the title :).
I typically prefer to purchase my belongings from private parties whenever possible.
I'm looking for something of good value as I said before that maybe was $1000 more new but is now within my price range.

·
Premium Member
71,229 Posts
Oris make a lovely diver (they make a lovely watch full stop) so if you’ve taken a shine to the 65 jump right in.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Do you mean gold in the dial as in gilt hands and markers, or gold on the case itself?
I am thinking more of an accent color of gold.

Right now I would say a 980.0020 Tag 1000 is the leading watch I like but I don't want to rush into it.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
For 1500 bucks you can’t go wrong with a used SBDX001. The fact you keep saying about a watch that cost 3000 or at least 2500 new and you want it now for $1500 does that not tell you that your paying a premium new for a brand that does not hold its value and likely not the best choice to make. There would be many tags that cost thousands new and can be bought now for a 1/3 of their price as their resale value is terrible for various reasons.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
For 1500 bucks you can’t go wrong with a used SBDX001. The fact you keep saying about a watch that cost 3000 or at least 2500 new and you want it now for $1500 does that not tell you that your paying a premium new for a brand that does not hold its value and likely not the best choice to make. There would be many tags that cost thousands new and can be bought now for a 1/3 of their price as their resale value is terrible for various reasons.
Maybe I am reading your post incorrectly but I am referring to buying something that has already gone through some of its depreciation. I'm not necessarily looking for the red-headed step-child that just happens to have the family name.
I've stressed that I want something used. I understand that a lot of people like new things, I like old/vintage items in a lot of aspects of life.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts