WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My apologies if this has been brought up before, but I could not find anything that answered my questions. Would it not be true that a simple module G-Shock (no solar, no atomic, no auto illuminator, no analog movement, and no ABC) be more resilient to impacts and abuse because of fewer parts and mass? I don't currently own any solar, atomic, or ABC Gs so am seeking the forums collective knowledge on this subject. From my limited G-Shock experience I would think the DW5600E (because of small mass/size) and the DW6900 (because of 4mm crystal) would be the most resilient resin cased G watches due to simple functions. I had a DW9052 fail on me, but that happened under an unusual circumstance. What do you think? Any experiences regarding durability with complex vs. simple G-Shock models?

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But wouldn't the extra mass make it more vulnerable to impacts? Also, since the screen isn't well recessed would that make it more likely to take crystal damage over a DW6900? How thick is the GX-56's crystal?

·
Registered
36,322 Posts
But wouldn't the extra mass make it more vulnerable to impacts? Also, since the screen isn't well recessed would that make it more likely to take crystal damage over a DW6900? How thick is the GX-56's crystal?
Screen is the most recessed I have ever seen in any G. It is not extra thick but is well protected.

The King has a Shock absorber surrounding the module in the case. It is nearly bulletproof. The only other G that might come close in resiliency is the Frogman.

Like looking down a mine shaft:

·
Registered
887 Posts
One thing we know for sure, is that GX(W)-56 was the first of Casio to utilize the "Alpha Gel", which increases the shock absorption. It is now pretty commonly used in many higher-end G's. The lack of mechanical construction would likely make it fail less likely compared with, say, Mudmaster or GPW.

Looks like Casio has taken offline many of the older information regarding the Alpha Gel especially those pertaining to the GX(W)-56. You can still see it talked a bit in Sjor's article on the king here:

50 Gs

·
Registered
8,323 Posts
Among the cheaper ones, the GD-100 and GD-120 seem pretty tough. They have large bezels with integrated button guards, and the crystal is well recessed.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Screen is the most recessed I have ever seen in any G. It is not extra thick but is well protected.

The King has a Shock absorber surrounding the module in the case. It is nearly bulletproof. The only other G that might come close in resiliency is the Frogman.
Thank you for the fast reply yankeexpress, that is good information about the shock absorber. Do you know the thickness of the crystal? Also, have you had any issues with crystal scratches?

·
Registered
36,322 Posts
Thank you for the fast reply yankeexpress, that is good information about the shock absorber. Do you know the thickness of the crystal? Also, have you had any issues with crystal scratches?
I do not know the measurement of the crystal, except that it is mineral glass (frogman and other high end have sapphire crystals)

Have never scratched a Casio crystal and I work on a steel ship with all kinds of hazards to watches. I normally wear a Rangeman at work.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I do not know the measurement of the crystal, except that it is mineral glass (frogman and other high end have sapphire crystals)

Have never scratched a Casio crystal and I work on a steel ship with all kinds of hazards to watches. I normally wear a Rangeman at work.
That is good information to know. I haven't been so lucky with my crystals, my DW5600E and G9000 both have scratches from work and rock climbing. So far, knock on wood, my first DW9052 and DW6900 are scratch free. My second DW9052 was well....destroyed in a fall.

·
Registered
4,610 Posts
Yankeeexpress:
I agree!!!!
King G is a hoss. My SIL Mark owns one.
His is a tough as fajitas (beef skirt nuther words)
He defies all my attempts to trade or sell it to me.
What are Sons in Laws for if you cant talk em into
trading or selling the GShock's?

X Traindriver Art.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
GBDH1000-1A7 "G-Squad," Casio MDV106D-1A1V "Duro"
2,868 Posts
I think the Rangeman has a more recessed crystal.

Plus, the overall area of the crystal on the King does seem to present a larger area with a shallower angle of entry compared to the Rangeman.

But for sheer protection my vote would go for The King.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This is my thinking as well, the more recessed the crystal the better. In my experience this helps tremendously in avoiding damage to the crystal. Even though my DW5600E is the thinnest G I own it was the first to take scratches to the mineral crystal.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think this one might be a good option for me. The bullbars will take a lot of hits, but they are cheap to replace. I like the look of the GD-400!

And any G with Bullbars is wearing a rollcage like the GD-400 is going to be able to take some abuse.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
It's hard to name 1 single G as the most resilient. By definition resilient means able to recover quickly to original shape. So yes, that puts simpler and less costly G's into the category, because they are simpler to setup, maintain, repair, and if all else failed, replace. If I have to vote, I will vote the DW5600E. It's easy to use and to upkeep. It has parts available both from the manufacturer and 3rd parties. It's cheap enough for you to afford another one as a backup.

re·sil·ient
/rəˈzilyənt/
adjective: resilient

1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
"babies are generally far more resilient than new parents realize"
synonyms: strong, tough, hardy; quick to recover, buoyant, irrepressible
"young and resilient"

2.(of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.
"a shoe with resilient cushioning"
synonyms: flexible, pliable, supple; durable, hardwearing, stout, strong, sturdy, tough
"resilient materials"

Reactions: t minus
1 - 20 of 22 Posts