WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello dudes,

I was wondering today, which movements are really the most rugged ones in Omegas ? Is there any particular difference between auto/manual movements? As far as I know, automatics are more prone to breakups, since there is so much more fine mechanics than in manual movements?

Well, just to name few to get the discussion started,
Vintage Seamaster 300, movement 552, hows this for rugged auto?
Speedmaster movement 321 ? 861 ? How about newer ones?

I only know that Lemania 5100 is the most rugged one (in EZM1), any other opinions ?

EDIT : Oh yes, I am talking more about mechanical movements, not Quartz.

·
Registered
677 Posts
My opinion[s]:

Hello dudes,

I was wondering today, which movements are really the most rugged ones in Omegas ? Is there any particular difference between auto/manual movements? As far as I know, automatics are more prone to breakups, since there is so much more fine mechanics than in manual movements?

Well, just to name few to get the discussion started,
Vintage Seamaster 300, movement 552, hows this for rugged auto?
Speedmaster movement 321 ? 861 ? How about newer ones?

I only know that Lemania 5100 is the most rugged one (in EZM1), any other opinions ?
The topic is rugged chronographs made by Omega...
chuckmaddoxwatch.blogspot.com/2006/05/topic-is-rugged-chronographs-made-by.html

In my opinion it's really hard to go wrong with a c.321/c.x86x/c.1045 in good operational order and condition. The c.1040/1041 is a good movement too, but a notch below the others. Of the current Chronograph movements [other than the c.x86x varieties] the Valjoux 7750 based movements are solid if somewhat commonplace movements.

I'm sure other opinions will vary...

-- Chuck

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
Well, There are many opinions. I would like to point to my favorite manual wind movements - the cal. 30 based Omega family. These movements are simple in design and extremely accurate. They have won many observatory awards for accuracy. They are also very rugged. They were in the Omega watches selected by the British MoD for many years... And they still ticks in hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of watches today.

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Omega's quartz movements used in the SMP's are supposed to withstand incredible shocks and are very accurate, even compared to other quartz watches.

If rugged and Swiss is your goal I doubt you'll do better than an omega quartz.

·
Registered
10,693 Posts
In terms of shock resistance I would agree that it has to be quartz. however if you are thinking in terms of longevity then I would either go 861 or 1120. both are extremely robust,cheap and easy to fix and should not encounter serious spares availability problems this century.

So in terms of middle term out and out survivability my vote would have to go to the quartz SeMP - I've not broken mine yet.
On the lasting forever stakes I guess it has to be the Speedy pro. I would choose it over the MK2 because the hesalite crystal, while softer, does not shatter and protects the face far better against a wider range of impacts - at the cost of scratching more easily. And anyway, let's face it the Speedy Pro has already made a good start!

·
Registered
677 Posts
Re: My opinion[s]:

Addendum... Regarding Quartz... I agree that Quartz are generally considered the choice for abusive environments.

But I gotta tell ya... I'd take any of my Mark II's or my 176.012 anywhere even to the gates of hell without an instants hesitation nor a second thought. They are that tough.

-- Chuck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts